Apple Ipad or Blackberry Playbook 2.0

jalan

Dear Friends,

I am very planning to buy an Tablet / Playbook...

I have filtered out 2 option... Apple Ipad or Blackberry playbook 2.0

My budget is 25k-30k

My use will be basically home use and for playing games and social networking... Sometimes might use it as a business tool also... I have having Blackberry Curve 9360...

Can you please suggest me the best for me...

Regards
Priyank Jalan

My personal choice would be iPad

iPad - An innovation. Intuitive UI, display etc

BB Playbook- Eveyone else released tablets, so do we.

+1 to that there is an ipad 2 going for 23k in ebay.in with indian/global warranty. With a 10% discount coupon you can very well get it <22k. This far out weighs the BB with the amount of apps that apple gives out. I was almost done to book the ipad2 yesterday night as the item is available for 3/6 months emi option of hdfc/citi/icici bank credit card customers with a flat processing fee of 545. It is a good deal.
I am waiting to get the ipad2 from US as my parents are travelling this month end. So will have to wait till sept when they return back. Hope the price still goes down still $399 (current price) for 16gb model with wifi.

Thanks.

No plausible reason to consider the BB given your budget.

Invest in an iPad - it leads in UI, and the variety of apps. Not to mention the display and graphics. As a package no tablet can currently beat that. And I'm talking about the iPad 2. If you can get someone to bring in the new iPad from US or Singapore, nothing like it. It should cost ~28000INR. I am getting one soon.

+1 to that there is an ipad 2 going for 23k in ebay.in with indian/global warranty. With a 10% discount coupon you can very well get it <22k. This far out weighs the BB with the amount of apps that apple gives out. I was almost done to book the ipad2 yesterday night as the item is available for 3/6 months emi option of hdfc/citi/icici bank credit card customers with a flat processing fee of 545. It is a good deal.
I am waiting to get the ipad2 from US as my parents are travelling this month end. So will have to wait till sept when they return back. Hope the price still goes down still $399 (current price) for 16gb model with wifi.

Thanks.

Buy the refurbished iPad 2 for $349 if you are buying from the US... Much better deal...It has the same 1yr warranty as the new one

@ OP right now there is no real competition to the iPad... I really hope the rival companies come up with better tablets... Right now most other tablets out there are just me too products at almost the same price... Of course there are a few exceptions like the transformer with its dock idea & the kindle fire with its price & unique content services...

Last edited:
BB playbook has not value for the money as there are not enough apps for it..it is good as an better UI for your BB
Ipad is great..have it& love it

But a better comparison would be with the android based devices, epscially if you do not have an issue with the "closed" approach of apple towarfs apps.

I already have a iPad 2 wifi only will also buy the new one for my wife. With the new retina display there is no competition.

The thing which is stopping me is.. I don't have a WiFI at my work or home place.. And I hardly travel around.. So what I require is connectivity on my tablet / ipad..
I want to know whether I can connect my blackberry phone with the Ipad and use internet and other stuff on the Ipad.. This can be done with blackberry playbook..

The thing which is stopping me is.. I don't have a WiFI at my work or home place.. And I hardly travel around.. So what I require is connectivity on my tablet / ipad..
I want to know whether I can connect my blackberry phone with the Ipad and use internet and other stuff on the Ipad.. This can be done with blackberry playbook..

No you cannot do that..you will need to get the 3g ipad...you can put a prepaid 3g microsim. (unless the BB now has a wireless router app) which is available for Android.

If you have internet connection at home then buy a wifi router. If you do not have then not much use of it.

For now I am using Blackberry Curve 9360.. And it supports hotspot app.. And yes it has a inbuilt router.. That means I can connect my BB to ipad

I would recommend that you get a wifi router like the other ppl have suggested... Even if you have a Tata photon USB modem there are routers available for them too... You can get a decent one for Rs2500 from deal extreme or for around Rs 3300 with warranty from olive... Also there are numerous sellers on eBay selling the same...

Edit Just gave a look in on ebay.in & it seems ppl are selling the TP link USB Router for under 2k... A good deal if you dont want to spend an extra 5k for a 3g iPad... I sincerely hope you consider w8ing a few weeks(end of march) for the new ipad(with retina) to be launched in India... It should be priced under 30k & Its said to be a very good buy by most reviews...

Last edited:
i have recently found out that if i upgrade my blackberry os from 7.0 to 7.1 ... we get a new feature i.e. HotSpot with which we can connect to any other device having WiFi... anybody can help me with that.. is it feasible... and will it work...

Tethering from your smartphone is going to drain the battery very fast.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends...

BB playbook has some advantages too

1. Portable size (7 inches) easy to carry around.
2.Blackberry bridge (Since you have a blackberry phone you can use your data plan to browse, you can even use your phone as a remote control for Playbook)
3. great resolution (It has the same resolution as Ipad 2 (Not the new retina display one)..considering playbook is 7 inches and ipad is 9.7 inches, the screen looks more crisp
4. Superior multi tasking (Ipad 2 doesn't even come close).
5. a 5 mega pixel camera back side and a 3 mega pixel front facing camera compared to vga cameras on ipad2 (Playbook can record 1080p videos with both cameras)
6.Flash support (IPad doesnt have flash support)
7.Stereo speakers compared to mono on ipad 2
8.Cheaper price (13,500 compared to 22k)
9.HDMI out.

I might have missed some of them...

the only negative thing (but a big one) about playbook is its limited number of apps

Refer crackberry.com and imore.com for more details.

Last edited:
It depends...

BB playbook has some advantages too

1. Portable size (7 inches) easy to carry around.
2.Blackberry bridge (Since you have a blackberry phone you can use your data plan to browse, you can even use your phone as a remote control for Playbook)
3. great resolution (It has the same resolution as Ipad 2 (Not the new retina display one)..considering playbook is 7 inches and ipad is 9.7 inches, the screen looks more crisp
4. Superior multi tasking (Ipad 2 doesn't even come close).
5. a 5 mega pixel camera back side and a 3 mega pixel front facing camera compared to vga cameras on ipad2 (Playbook can record 1080p videos with both cameras)
6.Flash support (IPad doesnt have flash support)
7.Stereo speakers compared to mono on ipad 2
8.Cheaper price (13,500 compared to 22k)
9.HDMI out.

I might have missed some of them...

the only negative thing (but a big one) about playbook is its limited number of apps

Refer crackberry.com and imore.com for more details.

I completely agree with AnilVerma. Its bang for the buck. Display(which you get, not what's on specs) feel is much superior. Build quality is better than Ipad2. 7 incher screen is quite handy.And if you have a BB phone, its a synergistic abundance. Muti-tasking, no tablet comes close. IPAD3 i have not seen, so cant comment upon.-cheers

i played around with an ipad3. bigger, heavier,,and a fantastic display..underwhelming camera even if compared with my ipad2.
if you have your expectations well cutout then the BB is good. problem is its lack of apps..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back