Does cheap android tablets work?

Manniraj, people are posting elsewhere that 512mb ram for android 4 is insufficient. How is ur performance? Does it support skype video chat and bluetooth?

Manniraj, people are posting elsewhere that 512mb ram for android 4 is insufficient. How is ur performance? Does it support skype video chat and bluetooth?

I do not agree on 512mb RAM insufficient for Andriod 4.0. I have not tried any high end games so far but tried playing some racing games and Angry Birds and there is no lag on them. I have never tried skype video chat but I think it works. Never tried bluetooth :)

Manniraj, people are posting elsewhere that 512mb ram for android 4 is insufficient.

For OS alone it's not insufficient. However, some people install a lot of applications. That slows down the system. More installed applications, more background processes. Most freeware applications insist on doing a few things. Install shortcuts, run in background, check for upgrades. All these activities are resource consuming.

So, whereas in theory, OS doesn't demand more than 512M, 1G is needed for it to be responsive in practical use.

Its sufficient as long as you simple dont overload or bombard your phone with applications, specially the ones that run in the background ......

So I take this positive for 512 RAM if only 3 to 4 apps and that do not run in background. I think foobar / xbmc controller and internet browser would not be bad. Anyone tried Devante My Tab?

Yes for 3-4 apps installed 512M is sufficient.

Internet surfing is different. 10-12 years ago one web page used to send 10 requests to one server and cause less than 1mb of data transfer. Nowadays one webpage opens 100+ connections and loads more than 5MB of content which causes 10-20 mb of actual RAM consumption. So, while Internet surfing will still be a pleasant experience for people who only open one page at a time, power users who open multiple pages simultaneously will feel limited.

Why doesnt anyone mention BSNL Penta Tablets, I purchased one recently IS703C and is very impressed with its performance. Cant make calls though and the camera is hopeless. Costed me Rs 5700 from anytimeretail.com

@saikat... let me tell you that Nexus 7 has become THE HOTTEST SELLING tab these days. I am proud owner of 16gb model and extremely satisfied with it.

One more thing... this weekend I was out to buy another Nexus for my brother. I found its out of stock in most of the stores of PCWorld or CarphoneWarehouse (in Edinburgh and Glasgow, UK). Supply against demand is too low now. :lol:

I guess its being launched in India during November. If you can wait till then, you could be a proud owner of nexus 7 as well.

7 inchers are too small for a 70 year old. They will have trouble squinting at regular icons, forget using a browser. They are good for the kids, though.

Nexus 7 is above my budget. @ 199 USD without shiiping it would cost me 14K + at least to import. Indiatimes shopping is selling for 16K+. I am looking for 6K solution. Btw, is ASUS Nexus 7 same as Google Nexus 7?

BSNL Penta has BSNL Penta Tablet IS703C 7inch Android 4.0 + 1GHz +WiFi+1GB RAM+8GB Internal +3G | eBay one advantage, at that price point it has 1 GB RAM which others dont. But again no bluetooth and also not sure if android market or google play is supported. Also what is the warranty terms?

Nexus 7 is above my budget. @ 199 USD without shiiping it would cost me 14K + at least to import. Indiatimes shopping is selling for 16K+. I am looking for 6K solution. Btw, is ASUS Nexus 7 same as Google Nexus 7?

BSNL Penta has BSNL Penta Tablet IS703C 7inch Android 4.0 + 1GHz +WiFi+1GB RAM+8GB Internal +3G | eBay one advantage, at that price point it has 1 GB RAM which others dont. But again no bluetooth and also not sure if android market or google play is supported. Also what is the warranty terms?

@saikat....Asus is the manufacturer of Nexus 7. So yes, Asus nexus 7 and Google nexus 7 both are same. Just like Samsung Nexus S or Google Nexus S phone.

Keeping your budget in mind... yesterday I found another thread with a cheaper but superb tab. Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II. Previously I shortlisted this tab only before buying my nexus. You can find good feedback about this product in amazon.co.uk. Among all other Ainol tabs, this one got IPS panel. You can take a look at youtube reviews as well.

Last edited:
Got my Nexus 7 ..... Expect a brisk owners review soon ..... 2 day experience says ... one of The best tab out there .... and for the price its offered makes it the best I guess.....

Last edited:
Got my Nexus 7 ..... Expect a brisk owners review soon ..... 2 day experience says ... one of The best tab out there .... and for the price its offered it makes it the best I guess.....

how much did you pay sam? and its an import or locally bought?

It does not have a USB port, so I dont think we can use it with a dongle, unless there is a way to use the charging mini usb after rooting. I use my Galaxy Nexus 3G as the hotspot to use on my Tab, works perfectly ......

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back