Does cheap android tablets work?

arun, can I assume that you are recommending Nexus 7?

Heh, yes, I meant to say that I highly recommend Nexus 7. To put it another way, I also have an iPad2, and I say this without exaggeration - the Nexus 7 beats or equals the iPad in almost every dimension - price, build quality, screen quality, touchscreen responsiveness, pixel density, speed/responsiveness, user interface (to some extent - iOS is still better but Jelly Bean is getting there). And it is lighter and more compact, so you can hold it in one hand for an extended period of time - something you just cannot do with an iPad or any 10" tablet.

I haven't used my iPad2 since I started using Nexus 7.

Last edited:
I found a deal for a lenovo tab in the US - deal valid until Sept 14, 2012. Link below:

Enhance your IdeaPad A1 Tablet - 22282NU - Blue | Lenovo | (US)

You can ask someone in the US to buy it & send it to you. Upon checkout apply coupon code USPYA12N906. It will give a $90 discount.

Web price = $249 - $90 = $159 + tax might be abt $10 depending on which state it is being purchased from. Overall about $170 which is less than Rs. 10,000/-. The OS can be upgraded to ICS i believe.

I'm getting one - it's already been ordered :)

The new Kindles are good too but they're going to be released in end Oct. They're accepting bookings now.

Hope this helps

Arvind

vizeta, I saw this on the other thread initiated by you. It seems ranjeet sahab is owning one of these, not sure if this is the same model. But of course first hand reviews do matter.

vizeta, I saw this on the other thread initiated by you. It seems ranjeet sahab is owning one of these, not sure if this is the same model. But of course first hand reviews do matter.

Haisiakat,

As mentioned by Ranjeet, he purchased a media player (not the same product) of same brand and found that it is below the mark.

Even I have not used this tab so I can not comment about this.

But from the ebay listing you can check the remarks of the buyers for this seller. I checked and did not see anyone complaining about the product or product quality.

If you are serious you can contact buyers (you will find the login names of buyers) of these tab and request them to provide their feedback about product/seller.

I used to do this before purchasing a product.

here is the link:
http://feedback.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

PS: no affiliation .:thumbsup:

Last edited:
good suggestion vizeta, will do

Nexus 7 is another on list since I am seeing good feedbacks here. Not sure if any friend is returning from USA, but even then will ask him / her to use it for at least 2 weeks

good suggestion vizeta, will do

Nexus 7 is another on list since I am seeing good feedbacks here. Not sure if any friend is returning from USA, but even then will ask him / her to use it for at least 2 weeks

What is the US price for Nexus 7?

Here in India Nexus 7 is available for Rs 18532/- (including shipping + duty) from shopabroad.

You can check it here in their website.
they changed their website. Shop International websites from India, like Amazon, Walmart, Target and enjoy the lowest possible International shipping rates, fast delivery, hassle-free duty clearance and promotions!! Get a U.S. address, request or create your own quote.

So far whatever discussion we had below is the ranking for 10K tabs
1. Google Nexus (is purchased from US for USD 210) --> no 3G but has NFC

2. Kindle Fire HD (if purchased from US)

3. Veedee D13 for INR 4490 --> 1 yr manufacturer warranty, good battery backup

4. Orkia tab for 4.5K INR --> peculiar / unknown warranty, but placed above Micromax since we have user feedback and cost effectivenes

5. Micromax Funbook for around 6K INR --> Branded

6. DOMO for around 6K INR at homeshop --> 6 months warranty

best way to spend 10k is motoxoom .
used but good you will get for 10-12K

the 3g etc are not very required feature as the 3G is rip off in INDIA .
Unless you wanna shell out 1.5k for network acess or you real dont stream anything !
Ainol family pack punch, need to load custom UI for a smoother performance
Cube series also lil better .

Most tabs locally available are either , low res screen or poor CPU or low capacity battery .

Does the warranty remain valid after loading the "custom UI"?

What if the device is bricked? The manufacturer will fix/replace it?

Any kind of rooting, loading custom ROMs voids the warranty ..... be aware of that

Exactly my point.

It's pathetic to buy something based on what it can do after flashing, rather than what it can do out of box. I will never buy anything I know may not deliver what the manufacturer's product brochure/website says.

Ainol makes large claims about it's products. Actual products don't stand those claims.

For what I have noticed Micromax comes more or less with stock Google Android ROMs so no need of any flashing etc. In the past one week had experience of enabling Skype video chat on Zync Z990 plus and Micromax funbook. Both had issues in getting skype video call working on out of the box settings so older version of Skype had to be installed on each. Video call quality on Micromax funbook was impressive (even better than my iPad2) but Zync was below average.

Overall, these entry level tablets serve the purpose of being basic personal gaming device for your kids, e-book readers, personal video players (while travelling/commuting) and light weight App market apps access. Not built for heavy apps and gaming experience.

A word of caution for all prospective buyers, irrespective of reviews on multiple sites and news prints as well as description on e-commerce sites, (to the best of my knowledge) none of the sub 12K tabs have a dual/quad processor. They are all single core with an additional GPU.

For those looking at buying Google Nexus, the only relatively cheap tab, spotted two offers-
1. At Rs, 13931 Nexus 7 Tablet from Google for Rs.13,931 *not sure if the deal actually works
2. Ebay weekly deals, 8 GB Nexus at Rs. 15446 - Google Nexus 7 Tablet | 8 GB | Android 4.1 | 7" HD Display - DoW | eBay

Hi,

I need help buying a tablet for my mom..she is close to hitting 70 yrs and is terrified of anything tech. Although I have tried several times in last 13 yrs - she is terrified of touching/using any of my gadgets as she thinks she will screw them beyond repair.

Now that we have cheaper tablets -I thought I can give teaching her tech - a second try. Below are my needs - please help me out:

(1) Should be around 6k mark - not sure if I get a 10 incher at this price point

(2) Will be used by a 70 year old woman and of course my 6 and 5 year old sons - so should be reasonable sturdy or should get a good cheap casing that might save it from occasional falls/rough use

(3) I want my mom to primarily use it for browsing - it should work seamlessly on wifi for browsing - I am hoping tablets run proper browsers - not mobile versions?

(4) I believe the Fun book was aimed at kids - not sure if it comes pre installed with apps - so from kids perspective - need an android tablet since I can download kids apps from their play store

(5) Not sure at 6K price point I will get GPS, blue tooth and all that - not sure if I can use it as a navigation tool in my car - dont mind stretching a bit for GPS

(6) Preferably have a micro sd card slot - so that I can increase the available space

(7) if it can take pen drives - even better for additional space

(8) should play audio and video (no 1080p) - I guess this is default in all tablets

(9) I would prefer a reasonably known Indian brand that comes with a reasonable guarantee of at least a year even its 1-2k more than unknown brands

(10) Not sure if we can use a tablet as a universal remote - I dont need it ..just asking

(11) If its android prefer a device that can be upgraded - for example Google now videos on youtube are really cool - would prefer if I can have a Jelly Bean based or upgradable tablet

(12) Ability to make phone calls is welcome but not a must - She has not used the touch screen phone I bought her 15 days back

(13) Things like making skype calls will be really cool - and infact I would prefer this feature over others

Please let me know if I am asking too much from a 5-6K tablet and if so dont mind spending another 1-2K more - but I think 10K would be a bit too much since I dont know if she is going to use it or not

Micromax funbook seems to have most of what I need - its 6499 on flipkart but out of stock.

Please let me know your views - I too will search the forums and also google to know more. Also let me know the cheapest price as well for the recommended tablet

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

I dont mind ordering it tonight itself!!!!!!!!!1:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:
Hi,

I need help buying a tablet for my mom..she is close to hitting 70 yrs and is terrified of anything tech. Although I have tried several times in last 13 yrs - she is terrified of touching/using any of my gadgets as she thinks she will screw them beyond repair.

Now that we have cheaper tablets -I thought I can give teaching her tech - a second try. Below are my needs - please help me out:

(1) Should be around 6k mark - not sure if I get a 10 incher at this price point

(2) Will be used by a 70 year old woman and of course my 6 and 5 year old sons - so should be reasonable sturdy or should get a good cheap casing that might save it from occasional falls/rough use

(3) I want my mom to primarily use it for browsing - it should work seamlessly on wifi for browsing - I am hoping tablets run proper browsers - not mobile versions?

(4) I believe the Fun book was aimed at kids - not sure if it comes pre installed with apps - so from kids perspective - need an android tablet since I can download kids apps from their play store

(5) Not sure at 6K price point I will get GPS, blue tooth and all that - not sure if I can use it as a navigation tool in my car - dont mind stretching a bit for GPS

(6) Preferably have a micro sd card slot - so that I can increase the available space

(7) if it can take pen drives - even better for additional space

(8) should play audio and video (no 1080p) - I guess this is default in all tablets

(9) I would prefer a reasonably known Indian brand that comes with a reasonable guarantee of at least a year even its 1-2k more than unknown brands

(10) Not sure if we can use a tablet as a universal remote - I dont need it ..just asking

(11) If its android prefer a device that can be upgraded - for example Google now videos on youtube are really cool - would prefer if I can have a Jelly Bean based or upgradable tablet

(12) Ability to make phone calls is welcome but not a must - She has not used the touch screen phone I bought her 15 days back

(13) Things like making skype calls will be really cool - and infact I would prefer this feature over others

Please let me know if I am asking too much from a 5-6K tablet and if so dont mind spending another 1-2K more - but I think 10K would be a bit too much since I dont know if she is going to use it or not

Micromax funbook seems to have most of what I need - its 6499 on flipkart but out of stock.

Please let me know your views - I too will search the forums and also google to know more. Also let me know the cheapest price as well for the recommended tablet

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

I dont mind ordering it tonight itself!!!!!!!!!1:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

You can try out Veedee D10 with Android ICS 4.03. I bought this couple of month back and it is working good. ( I think now it is know as D 13) The price would be around Rs.6000/-. I bought it through ebay.in with some gift voucher for around Rs.5,300/- There might be better model now. It has one year warranty. Most of the features you are looking for are present in the tablet. Here is the link for Veedee D13 Veedee D13 Capacitive 7" Tablet PC - Android 4.0 - Cortex A8 MID - WIFI 1080P | eBay

thanks. Any idea about the company veedee itself as I am sure we will have to contact them within few months of buying for repairs.

also what free gifts did you get? thx

thanks. Any idea about the company veedee itself as I am sure we will have to contact them within few months of buying for repairs.

also what free gifts did you get? thx

It has been 3 months since I have bought that tab and I have not faced any problem except once I had to reinstall the firmware which is very simple. They also have a forum where updates are given. However you need to hike your budget to more than 10K if you are looking for stability and quality. I bought this tab only because of the service which I feel is quite good. When I needed to reinstall the firmware I was directed properly by the seller and I got immediate response.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back