Roku 3 - sam9s take on the device

^^ Is netflix playing on webOS,?? , is the experience same as Roku??? and million dollar question is.....is it 1080p, I believe not..... as Netflix max to 720p in all cases except Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Amazon Fire TV and Nvidia Shield. (except if you are using chrome browser).

^^ Is netflix playing on webOS,?? , is the experience same as Roku??? and million dollar question is.....is it 1080p, I believe not..... as Netflix max to 720p in all cases except Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Amazon Fire TV and Nvidia Shield. (except if you are using chrome browser).

Sam the Netflix app on B6 plays 1080p. And with proper setup I think even HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Only 9 to 10 Hindi movies are available. No English movies are currently available in Amazon Prime India. Very bad collection compared to Netflix.

Yes. Only 9 to 10 Hindi movies are available. No English movies are currently available in Amazon Prime India. Very bad collection compared to Netflix.

No No ... listen to what I am asking, when you load APV app on Roku, connected to your India account (Note!!-- Roku 3 I am talking about) does it load India Content, any indian Movie. This is what I am particularly interested to know.

Last edited:
LG OLED B6. And I meant Ultrahd not HDR.

LG Smart TVs are also included, according to Netflix.

The cool club who qualifies
Netflix has a handy list of HD-ready devices, and if you look closely, youll notice theres only seven approved streaming media players: Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, and LGs Smart TV Upgrader. Thats it. Anything else considered a streaming box doesnt make the cut.

Why Android (and other devices) can't stream HD Netflix | Digital Trends

Accordint to the article some sony TV are also able to stream 1080p Netflix .... Point is not all, infact max number of streaming players and HD TVs do not support 1080p Netflix, so you need to know what to expect when purchasing a TV or Media player specific to Netflix. Just an FYI for everyone ...

Last edited:
Sam the Netflix app on B6 plays 1080p. And with proper setup I think even HDR.

This. I recently purchased LG B6, and am watching Netflix and Amazon Prime in 1080p and 4k UHD HDR - on the WebOS3 apps. Just saw a couple of Mozart In The Jungle episodes which were supposed to be UHD HDR - and it was truly breathtaking. It is literally the best TV experience I have had, period. And yes, the apps fully support 4k with HDR. I don't have Roku Ultra (only have Roku 3 which is only 1080p), so can't do an A/B comparison, but I can say that the 4k and HDR experience through the WebOS apps are absolutely fine. I did not notice any rendering issues or choppiness and the colors were just vivid and popping.

Please note, I am in the US though. But I guess apps are apps. I am hoping they would work the same in India too - certain content might be blocked - but the app itself should work the same way.

I followed the rtings calibration settings which made a big difference to picture quality and colors and removing the soap opera effect. Sorry if I am digressing too much. Just wanted to say that I am truly impressed by the inbuilt WebOS platform in the LG TVs as well as the quality and performance of the apps. The remote is also extremely easy to use - it has an "air pointer" like a Wii remote that lets you control the cursor, and it works much better than the Roku remote (it doesn't have a headphone jack in the remote though, which is a pity). I really do not miss having an external media player with this TV and OS platform. And absolutely no ads or spyware - it is there but is opt-in (and only needed if you want to use a specific app that plays some streaming video content and channels) unlike Samsung KS8000 and others that don't even allow you to disable ads. And the WebOS is responsive and fast.

No No ... listen to what I am asking, when you load APV app on Roku, connected to your India account (Note!!-- Roku 3 I am talking about) does it load India Content, any indian Movie. This is what I am particularly interested to know.

Sorry I was mentioning the Indian Amazon Prime Video on laptop only. The APV app on Roku 3 is not registering my Indian account as the device is already registered with US Roku account. I have to deregister the Roku device from the US APV app and try again. Netflix App on Roku 3 did not have any issue - you can sign in with US account (DNS) or Indian account (without DNS).

Amazon PV App appears to be different.:D

I got Roku stick from US yesterday. Mainly for Amazon Prime. While I was able to login using my Indian account in APV but it very few shows are available. Even some episodes of Amazon originals are not allowed to play.

Netflix works just fine.

Now looking for workaround for Amazon Prime.

Sorry I was mentioning the Indian Amazon Prime Video on laptop only. The APV app on Roku 3 is not registering my Indian account as the device is already registered with US Roku account. I have to deregister the Roku device from the US APV app and try again. Netflix App on Roku 3 did not have any issue - you can sign in with US account (DNS) or Indian account (without DNS).

Amazon PV App appears to be different.:D

An update. Logged on to Indian APV on Roku3 by using Amazon India Prime account. The entire US movie collection is available but quite prohibitively priced. Only the trailers are free but for the rest we have to pay for each movie. Netflix is much cheaper than Amazon anyday. Could not find any Indian movies. Roku registered with US DNS and APV App on Indian setting.

Last edited:
Well my Roku Ultra is up and running too, with everything US. I get Amazon Prime (India) anyway on Oled B6. Only issue I am facing now is HDR, though the HDMI wire has been approved while setup by Roku, HDR is not playing after the set up. Could be MTNL. But overall, its pretty convenient. I'll check out NVidia Shield sometime, once I have had my fill of Roku.

An update. Logged on to Indian APV on Roku3 by using Amazon India Prime account. The entire US movie collection is available but quite prohibitively priced. Only the trailers are free but for the rest we have to pay for each movie. Netflix is much cheaper than Amazon anyday. Could not find any Indian movies. Roku registered with US DNS and APV App on Indian setting.

That's why I (and Sam too, I think) was surprised when you mentioned getting APV India on Roku3 since we were unable to do so.

It seems that to see Indian content on apps like Hotstar, Voot and others, Chromecast is the best bet, but you will still be unable to see APV, for which one will have to get Firestick. Or maybe see all of it via your smart tv like LG (which I don't have and not planning in near future).
Stick to Roku3 if you are keen on only US content.

In my case I think I'll have to get Chromecast and forget about APV for the moment :-(

That's why I (and Sam too, I think) was surprised when you mentioned getting APV India on Roku3 since we were unable to do so.

It seems that to see Indian content on apps like Hotstar, Voot and others, Chromecast is the best bet, but you will still be unable to see APV, for which one will have to get Firestick. Or maybe see all of it via your smart tv like LG (which I don't have and not planning in near future).
Stick to Roku3 if you are keen on only US content.

In my case I think I'll have to get Chromecast and forget about APV for the moment :-(

Yes I was surprised/confused as well, hence I specifically asked him the same. He actually PMed me the response but I requested him to post here as well so that other FM can read that as well.
And yes for now casting the TAB running APV is the only option for me (and most of us, who do not have a fire stick),how ever I am very positive the new SHIELD Tv update that will bring APV officially to the device should work with Indian Acount as well. That would make my SHIELD "THE" ultimate device ...:D . Will update soon once I recieve the update.

^^ Yes already tried that, it does not load India Content, Loads US, Hence I am waiting for the official update for APV app. However the APK I tried might be different so, will give this a try.

PS :: The link gives me an error """The provided key is invalid, Please check that the key is correct or ask the creator of the link again"""" ..????

Last edited:
Yes I was surprised/confused as well, hence I specifically asked him the same. He actually PMed me the response but I requested him to post here as well so that other FM can read that as well.
And yes for now casting the TAB running APV is the only option for me (and most of us, who do not have a fire stick),how ever I am very positive the new SHIELD Tv update that will bring APV officially to the device should work with Indian Acount as well. That would make my SHIELD "THE" ultimate device ...:D . Will update soon once I recieve the update.

For some reason I am unable to mirror screen from either my S3 or MotoG. I was able to do it earlier from S3 but now it just doesn't. Maybe due to Roku update I don't know. However strangely I am able to cast from You tube which means Roku is being recognized. Strange problems!

Shield Tv seems too expy. I'll just stick to Roku and maybe get Chromecast.

Shield Tv seems too expy. I'll just stick to Roku and maybe get Chromecast.

After reading about these, if you don't game or store internally, I am unable to see any major difference between Roku Ultra and Shield. For a second of difference in loading it is steep considering it almost costs 18000+. Though I must admit it is good looking and would have bought it if it had APV. Since I have Showtime and HBO subscription on that.

After reading about these, if you don't game or store internally, I am unable to see any major difference between Roku Ultra and Shield. For a second of difference in loading it is steep considering it almost costs 18000+. Though I must admit it is good looking and would have bought it if it had APV. Since I have Showtime and HBO subscription on that.

I got it for 300USD (which is like 20K) The Pro version (500GB), ofcourse I got it arranged from US, but the 16GB version one can get it for 13-14K and for that price is a Killer piece of hardware, and MUCH better than Roku in all aspects, (specially for Indian Public), I have Roku 3 as well. Since SHIELD is based on Android TV OS, its much more flexible and versatile, than Roku that only relies on "channels" perse. Gaming is just "another" icing on the cake, (a yummy icing too I must say. as it excels in Android Gaming as well :D).

I got it for 300USD (which is like 20K) The Pro version (500GB), ofcourse I got it arranged from US, but the 16GB version one can get it for 13-14K and for that price is a Killer piece of hardware, and MUCH better than Roku in all aspects, (specially for Indian Public), I have Roku 3 as well. Since SHIELD is based on Android TV OS, its much more flexible and versatile, than Roku that only relies on "channels" perse. Gaming is just "another" icing on the cake, (a yummy icing too I must say. as it excels in Android Gaming as well :D).

The 18k I am quoting is from Amazon.com duty paid. It seems to be the cheapest available if you are in India and have nobody in the US or don't want to take favours.

Let me just question this a bit if you don't mind. There are enough comparisons on the net to show how technically Shield is superior, however if you are not gaming how is this phenomenally superior, layman terms, when I jump from one channel to the other or when I attach external HDDs through USB? I have attached mine, and they don't seem to be opening any slower than say when attached to my MacBook Pro, which except the graphics card, is way superior.

When you say more versatile, do you mean all andriod phones handshake better with Shield as opposed to Roku? And in tangible terms for the layman what does it translate to?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back