Roku 3 - sam9s take on the device

how did you access amazon on roku stick? Though the remote have a seperate button for amazon but since i got the roku registered here in India i don't say Amazon anywhere in the list of channels available to me.

how did you access amazon on roku stick? Though the remote have a seperate button for amazon but since i got the roku registered here in India i don't say Amazon anywhere in the list of channels available to me.
When u first purchase Roku you have to make sure that when you register it. You are running VPN or dns service at the background. And use all us details to register. Which is what I did. BTW I have Roku 3 and not the stick but I guess the trick should work for stick as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK since Amazon Prime Video is now officially available, I tried that on Roku, looks like the app is loading US specific shows, even though its been registered with an Indian amazon.in account (no vpn, dns nothing running at background).... and weird part is, that is plays many of the US shows as well, those are not available on India Prime Video, on some others it says not available at ur location.

Anyone else tried Prime Video on Roku 3,4?

Yes. Able to watch Prime Video on Roku 3 with Indian Amazon Account. Now really spoilt for choice - Netflix, Amazon Prime. It's only a matter of time before Hulu and Showtime joins the show.:clapping:

Yes. Able to watch Prime Video on Roku 3 with Indian Amazon Account. Now really spoilt for choice - Netflix, Amazon Prime. It's only a matter of time before Hulu and Showtime joins the show.:clapping:

When you open Prime App on Roku 3, did it load Indian Shows or US, If you see channels listed in the app like HBO, showtime etc it is loading US shows. Or you can try searching Indian Movie like sulatan, if it indeed is loading Indian Media then I would like to know if there is something different in what you did to set the device ....

Originally Posted by spinks View Post
Yes. Able to watch Prime Video on Roku 3 with Indian Amazon Account. Now really spoilt for choice - Netflix, Amazon Prime. It's only a matter of time before Hulu and Showtime joins the show.

When you open Prime App on Roku 3, did it load Indian Shows or US, If you see channels listed in the app like HBO, showtime etc it is loading US shows. Or you can try searching Indian Movie like sulatan, if it indeed is loading Indian Media then I would like to know if there is something different in what you did to set the device ....

Even I have the same problem. I created a watchlist on the laptop but this is not seen on amazon in roku. it is showing only usa content. I am still on trial for prime and if it doesn't work on roku i won't be buying as even casting doesn't seem to work. Hope someone can help. @spinks, @sam

Please let us know what steps you followed to get the indian amazon on your device.

Originally Posted by spinks View Post
Yes. Able to watch Prime Video on Roku 3 with Indian Amazon Account. Now really spoilt for choice - Netflix, Amazon Prime. It's only a matter of time before Hulu and Showtime joins the show.

Even I have the same problem. I created a watchlist on the laptop but this is not seen on amazon in roku. it is showing only usa content. I am still on trial for prime and if it doesn't work on roku i won't be buying as even casting doesn't seem to work. Hope someone can help. @spinks, @sam

Please let us know what steps you followed to get the indian amazon on your device.

Even I am waiting a response from Spinks .. :)

When u first purchase Roku you have to make sure that when you register it. You are running VPN or dns service at the background. And use all us details to register. Which is what I did. BTW I have Roku 3 and not the stick but I guess the trick should work for stick as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I am getting Roku Ultra by Monday. I don't use VPN but have getflix DNS service. So getflix DNS is fed to the router along with static routing. You think this will suffice when I register Roku with US details?

Sam, were you able to watch the Indian Netflix on the Roku? If so, did you have to do anything different or just login with the indian registration?

Yes India Netflix works perfectly on Roku 3 no issues, I dont use any VPN or DNS service. Infact static Routing on my Router is also Disabled now, and everything works as it should as far as Netflix goes ... :)

Is there any way to watch Hotstar and Voot on Roku besides screen mirroring or casting?

Unfortunately Nope ... :), ChromeCast is the best bet and Hotstar absolutely works perfectly with chromecast.

I am getting Roku Ultra by Monday. I don't use VPN but have getflix DNS service. So getflix DNS is fed to the router along with static routing. You think this will suffice when I register Roku with US details?

Why are you getting Roku Ultra, ?? If its specifically for Netflix, Youtube and Plex then get SHIELD TV, with the new update and new SHIELD just launched it is also getting the Amazon App (HDR, 4K was already there) and I am confident that its going to load India content, unlike Roku. All the features and hardware Roku Ultra has SHIELD does it even better. Trust me I have both Roku 3 and SHIELD TV Pro and I dont use Roku at all now. I thought Roku might have been useful for Amazon Prime content, but that also does not work as it Always loads US Prime Video and not India. With SHIELD getting official Amazon Prime, its THE Home Media Player to get.

The only way I might now use Roku 3 is to get Netflix and Plex on my Other room TV thats it.

Why are you getting Roku Ultra, ?? If its specifically for Netflix, Youtube and Plex then get SHIELD TV, with the new update and new SHIELD just launched it is also getting the Amazon App (HDR, 4K was already there) and I am confident that its going to load India content, unlike Roku. All the features and hardware Roku Ultra has SHIELD does it even better. Trust me I have both Roku 3 and SHIELD TV Pro and I dont use Roku at all now. I thought Roku might have been useful for Amazon Prime content, but that also does not work as it Always loads US Prime Video and not India. With SHIELD getting official Amazon Prime, its THE Home Media Player to get.

The only way I might now use Roku 3 is to get Netflix and Plex on my Other room TV thats it.

Already done. I don't like Amazon Prime India at all. I want all US streaming. And I want to connect my multiple external hdd. I can anyway get Amazon Prime India on B6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already done. I don't like Amazon Prime India at all. I want all US streaming. And I want to connect my multiple external hdd. I can anyway get Amazon Prime India on B6.

Even I had the same thought initially... right now only thing worth purchasing for the money is the Nvidia Shield (4K HDR model) especially with the gaming and emulation thrown in, but then I thought there is so much more to Roku than just Netflix... and I'm using it that way too. In fact it has replaced regular TV for me... tons of Roku channels... even free ones. I watch a lot of science and tech on it, even food programs, sometimes even religious channels, and I even pay for a few sports channels as well as the likes of Curiosity Stream. Also, lots of free music channels on the channel store... have not seen that many music channels on any device/service till date... not even satellite radio... other than TuneIn app.

For regular TV and app content, and tons of channels Roku rocks. Remember back in the day we'd channel surf on the remote... simply go from one channel to another on the TV remote trying to find something to watch... that's something Roku gives with more than 2K (or more???) channels.

I love my Shield, probably the best $$$ spent on a streaming device and mine is only 1st gen... but thankfully we live in an age where we can have multiple streamers and sources.. and all for a fraction of $$$.

I want all US streaming. And I want to connect my multiple external hdd. I can anyway get Amazon Prime India on B6.

Both would have been possible with SHIELD aswell, (US content and Multiple Hard drives) with the same price bracket, SHIELD would have been a much better piece of hardware. But anyway if its done its done ... :)

Last edited:
Even I had the same thought initially... right now only thing worth purchasing for the money is the Nvidia Shield (4K HDR model) especially with the gaming and emulation thrown in, but then I thought there is so much more to Roku than just Netflix... and I'm using it that way too. In fact it has replaced regular TV for me... tons of Roku channels... even free ones. I watch a lot of science and tech on it, even food programs, sometimes even religious channels, and I even pay for a few sports channels as well as the likes of Curiosity Stream. Also, lots of free music channels on the channel store... have not seen that many music channels on any device/service till date... not even satellite radio... other than TuneIn app.$.

Initially yes, I also was pretty happy with jumping on all channels on Roku, but in the long run, you just settle with hand full of streaming apps, ..... Roku free channels are just a time pass for me now, after all how much can you stream with so much multiple apps/content available, now officially in India as well. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hotstar(yes it has some amazing US shows) covers a lot, then google movies n tv andYou Tube covers the rest. If all fails you can download and with 50mbps it hardly takes 10-15 min to download 5GB content ans then use PLEX. I still have a use for Roku but as a secondary player on my other room TV (which I just have added) so in that sense I am happy that I did not decided to sell it off... :)

BTW if HULU and VUDU also decides to come to India, then Roku will shine with its worth.. :)

Sorry guys for the delay in response. Amazon Prime on Roku 3 is only showing US TV shows and limited number of Hindi movies if registered with Amazon Prime India ID.

Amazon Prime on Roku 3 is only showing US TV shows and limited number of Hindi movies if registered with Amazon Prime India ID.

What!! your Roku 3 IS showing Hindi Movies on APV??? u Sure ... can you recheck and confirm.

This is a bit of a side-note, but as a long time Roku user, I recently started using WebOS3 which is built into LG TVs. It is probably one of the best experiences I have had - to the extent that I have largely stopped using Roku altogether and just use WebOS for everything. The navigation, usability, and quality are the same level of Roku (which I always felt was Roku's strong point anyway).

Back