Roku 3 - sam9s take on the device

I was thinking of getting an adaptor as the transformer gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of getting an adaptor as the transformer gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adaptor technically has a transformer inside ... :), but I get what you mean. The one I am using is working for 4 years now almost 24x7 ... :)

Can Roku 3 access and play files shared from the ReadyNAS.

Is it available locally or online with shipping from India?

Yes, it will play from an attached USB device. Another option is to use Plex Media Server and the Plex app. I understand Plex Media Server is available for ReadyNAS.

But Roku's real strength is online streaming. For local media, Chromecast works better.

Yes, it will play from an attached USB device. Another option is to use Plex Media Server and the Plex app. I understand Plex Media Server is available for ReadyNAS.

But Roku's real strength is online streaming. For local media, Chromecast works better.

Thanks for the response. Dont want to run another server (i.e. plex). Simply would like to browse the folders and play the movies.

Can Roku 3 access and play files shared from the ReadyNAS.

Is it available locally or online with shipping from India?

Roku is less a media player and more a streaming player. It works with apps, like app for netflix, app for radio and so on. There is no native app that can play from a network device. YOu can install a third party app for the same but that has a poor execution and its not as good as a dedicated media player might be. I will not recommend a Roku as a network Media Player. I would go with WD TV Live, or any other android media player like from Himedia .....

For what it's worth, MrMC (Kodi fork)works extremely well on the Apple TV 4 for local NAS playback - I have stopped using my NUC completely now

I am a bit confused Sam, on whether I should go for Roku 4 or Apple TV (4th Gen). Since most of the equipment I own is Apple, I do get inclined to Apple TV. But Roku has more channels. Also what would be a good place to buy either? Online or a retail store?

If you have an Apple Eco system I would recommend Apple TV. What channels are you particularly interested. Coz even though you have huge number of channels, you end up installing and watching only few.

I am a bit confused Sam, on whether I should go for Roku 4 or Apple TV (4th Gen). Since most of the equipment I own is Apple, I do get inclined to Apple TV. But Roku has more channels. Also what would be a good place to buy either? Online or a retail store?

If you have an Apple Eco system I would recommend Apple TV. What channels are you particularly interested. Coz even though you have huge number of channels, you end up installing and watching only few.

Do note that the new Apple TV app will not be having Netflix or Amazon Video, kind of crippling it for the most important video streaming services.

My vote is for Roku Premiere+ or Roku Ultra plus Chromecast Ultra (both for HDR more than 4K), between them they cover pretty much everything.

Roku is less a media player and more a streaming player. It works with apps, like app for netflix, app for radio and so on. There is no native app that can play from a network device. YOu can install a third party app for the same but that has a poor execution and its not as good as a dedicated media player might be. I will not recommend a Roku as a network Media Player. I would go with WD TV Live, or any other android media player like from Himedia .....

Finally got Minix NEO U1 from Singapore.

The important ones for me are Netflix and Amazon. Though Amazon for some reason does not play HD on my television. I think it is the HDR issue.

Do note that the new Apple TV app will not be having Netflix or Amazon Video, kind of crippling it for the most important video streaming services.

My vote is for Roku Premiere+ or Roku Ultra plus Chromecast Ultra (both for HDR more than 4K), between them they cover pretty much everything.

Now that clearly tilts me towards Roku 4 or is it Roku Ultra? What is a good place to buy this.

Now that clearly tilts me towards Roku 4 or is it Roku Ultra? What is a good place to buy this.

Roku 4 is the older model, it's what I have and it is without HDR. HDR, to my eyes at least, makes quite a bit of difference, and should be a must in all equipment going forward.

Roku Premiere+ or Roku Ultra are newer models as well as Chromecast Ultra, all of which have HDR.

You can buy from any online retailer that will ship to India, or use the help/services of a friend, relative, or a third-party service like Borderlinx or ViaBox, and also Ebay.

Great! With all those activities Myfifa17coins

lthough they occur every years within their respective seasonal games.The summer olympic games, officially recognized as the sports competition of the XXX Olympiad, are scheduled Cheap fifa coins happen in London, United Kingdom, that is from 27 July Cheap fifa coins

12 August 2012. London will now turn out Cheap fifa coins be the first city Cheap fifa coins legitimately host the modern Olympic games IIIed time, having hisCheap fifa coinsrically in the past completed so in 1908 and in 1948. London was selected as the host city on

6 July 2005 in the work of the 117th IOC Session inSingapore, defeating Moscow, New York City, Madrid and Paris after rounds of voting.Many by now have noticed that the 2012 Olympic Logo is a serrated with the good-looking shade of orange, green, blue and pink adorn it.

MyFifa17Coins.COM - Cheapest Fifa 17 Coins Store, Fifa Coins for Sale

Roku 4 is the older model, it's what I have and it is without HDR. HDR, to my eyes at least, makes quite a bit of difference, and should be a must in all equipment going forward.

Roku Premiere+ or Roku Ultra are newer models as well as Chromecast Ultra, all of which have HDR.

You can buy from any online retailer that will ship to India, or use the help/services of a friend, relative, or a third-party service like Borderlinx or ViaBox, and also Ebay.

I'd say don't bother about HDR (or 4K) for now.
Every TV on the market that has a 4K HDR panel also supports HDR playback directly.
The only reason most ppl (incl me) get an external player is because of the typically bad UI on the in built player..
But for the limited HDR content I do get, I end up playing it on the TVs own app

The important ones for me are Netflix and Amazon. Though Amazon for some reason does not play HD on my television. I think it is the HDR issue.

I am not sure what regeHA means but the Apple TV does have Netflix app native support, Amazon Prime I am not sure but a quick google says you can have AP as well

Watch Amazon Prime on Apple TV | Streaming Blog

Now whether Netflix supports full HD on Apple TV is another question, but assume it does

HDR and 4k are personal choice, Roku 4 supports 4K not HDR, No Idea about Apple TV (I am not an Apple fan), Shield supports both 4K and HDR and Chromcast HD as well built in... :) (Which is what I have .. :D)

Last edited:
I am not sure what regeHA means but the Apple TV does have Netflix app native support, Amazon Prime I am not sure but a quick google says you can have AP as well

Apple TV is streamlining all video, TV channels, streaming services, etc. into a new app called TV. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are not going to be in this new TV app. Amazon probably will never be, as it has never been a part of the iOS platform, and Netflix remains to be seen, but as of now is also not a part of the new Apple TV.

https://www.apple.com/tv/
https://www.apple.com/tvos/
https://www.apple.com/apple-tv/

^^ It would be super foolish on their part if that is true ...

OK since Amazon Prime Video is now officially available, I tried that on Roku, looks like the app is loading US specific shows, even though its been registered with an Indian amazon.in account (no vpn, dns nothing running at background).... and weird part is, that is plays many of the US shows as well, those are not available on India Prime Video, on some others it says not available at ur location.

Anyone else tried Prime Video on Roku 3,4?

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back