Apple Ipad or Blackberry Playbook 2.0

i played around with an ipad3. bigger, heavier,,and a fantastic display..underwhelming camera even if compared with my ipad2.
if you have your expectations well cutout then the BB is good. problem is its lack of apps..

Can you please elaborate on the apps possible in Ipad? If one intends to use it mainly for net surfing, book reading etc, then does it require much apps?

The question is which of the two is better for you.
If you want to read books, PDFs, watch videos, Facebook, gmail, messaging, angry birds zillions of apps etc etc. the larger display of iPad will always be better ever at the same resolution.

On the contrary the smaller device will be better if you want portability, lower price, better Bluetooth, flash playback, and bb.

Among the apps you were asking for airvideo and remote are best for multimedia freaks. The former allows to watch videos on the home server or laptop over wifi so you can watch all videos or movies on your iPad, the latter is a remote for your iTunes so you can use an interactive remote to control your music collection from your couch.

The only thing I hate about apple is no flac support in iTunes. An overnight conversion of your music library to apple lossless was the only way out though there are some applications which can play flac on iPad.

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate on the apps possible in Ipad? If one intends to use it mainly for net surfing, book reading etc, then does it require much apps?

Hi amitji, for bookreading and browsing only ,the ipad is good enough without any apps, but then the ipad itself may not be the best for it (lack of flash etc)..any of the android tabs should also do that well.

Only for bookreading i find the e-ink tabs like Kindle far superior..I have a nook touch and my wife actually prefers it to a real book..and thats from something who hates any of the "e-stuff".

when i bought it the ipad was far superior to other tabs including Motorola and samsung (i compared them side by side at Best Buy) in terms of the finesse and responsiveness, also no risk of malicious/dangerous apps as all are certified by apple.
I do have an official BB but that has restrictive policies so a BB tab was out of question

i believe the entry level ipad2 at todays discounted price may just be a great bargain.

BB tab is basic..due to OS very less people prefer this
apart from should have feeling ....one must check why he needs TAB

1.because it looks cool --20 -30k if u can justify then fine.
if not then read on
  • a.its is a great net on the move device - how much time u get
    for this ? once in weekend/holiday ..dont buy
  • b.smaller tab is easy to carry:duh! this is one that all people say,small = 7inch,big=10/9.5 inch both sizes come with softpouch ,so both are easy to carry if the device is slim
    why buy bigger screen ?one main reason is that the keypad is comfortable in bigger ones type with both hands as compared to
    (in 7 inch tabs)one finger painful typing / 2 thumbs typing
  • c. laptop replacement: no not fully,just limited office packages/storage/limited featured apps for pics retouch,AV and pics gallery.
    ya ,tabs do serve for your simple surfing needs ,

• d.if you are buying any other tab excluding moto xoom/ipad
    watch for : page scroll without hickup/ smooth video playback from local or sd card
    1 hdmi must "on the device",battery must be more than 4600mAH,capacitive screen,slim ones only,
i am not tab hater just wanted to bring limitations, some facts ..
- Tab prices are falling fast ,
- they contain very low powered CPU compared to cheap laptop in the market[eg core 2 duo]
- storage is way low 16 /32 GB etc

my concept is it is a fancy extra device , if one has to buy get moto xoom alike for max 13-14k [better buy used ,as many people are selling these in good condition]

Last edited:
A pad device is not a powerful device per se.
Like I have a quad core laptop with a 8 gb ram and even my old quad core desktop doesn't come close but I won't use the same while lying down reading some books or surfing or listening to music or playing angry birds! An iPad is a better choice. Basically it has replaced my Sony net book which is on 24x7 downloading torrents.

Hi,

There is nothing much to think between BB n Apple,
Nothing can beat apple as of now... It rules..

Cheers

Hi,

There is nothing much to think between BB n Apple,
Nothing can beat apple as of now... It rules..

Cheers

has ANYONE here purchased a BB playbook? I am looking for a first hand review. I know ipad is "better" and I have ipad2.

Does anyone here uses ipad2 for office email/ documents? I think BB should be miles ahead of ipad for carrying your work email/ docs around.

However, 2 things are putting me off - the 7" size vs 10" of ipad, and ipad can also connect to external DACs easily.

I had a chance to get a good demo in a store. Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
- Multitasking is very well done. MUCH better than iPad2
- I felt that UI is better than iPad. It could just be me because I use a webos phone and UI is very similar
- One of the best screens out there -- resolution, colours and brightness is superb. HD videos look really good.
- Very fast cpu, UI is very very responsive. No lag whatsoever.
- The hardware is definitely worth 13.5k if you can live with the cons

Cons:
- No apps, it's the biggest letdown. I am not sure if Android apps started running after the OS update
- Little heavy for the size. Galaxy tab 7 inch is much more lighter.
- No 3G, no GPS navigator

thanks sound1. has anyone tried external dacs with it's USB port?
If it does email/ calendar/ document very well, it will make sense for me for office work. Getting rid of carrying my laptop around.

However, I feel 7" is a less useful size. If you can't carry it in your pocket, it may very well be 10".

Good things:
you can use your BB phone (which I have) as a keyboard. You can also use BB's data connection.

I have no idea if it supports an external DAC.

With OS 2.0 it is supposed to be much better for email/calendar and office stuff. And blackberry bridge is supposed to be very good. Since you already have a phone I think you should demo it in a store.

the person sitting next to me got playbook 64gb for 16k. he needed huge disk space in lower budget, to play movies and music during his 2 hour metro commute. Will see how well it works for other stuff.
Unfortunately, after the order was placed I realized that my company is about to move away from blackberry, dismantling the BB server. So it is useless (or of less use) for my office laptop replacement.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back