Audio Gurus - need ur suggetion for a good HT

@GeorgeO: I will wait for the review of Emotiva UMC-1 from @santhol2, but to be frank - I am not sure I can really go for a preamp/processor system.I will not be able to have separate speakers for HT and audio - I most probably will go for AVR + multi-channel amp, but I think I will be able to share the speakers.

@santhol2: thanks a lot bro, for your very detailed reply.

This HT is something I wanted for years, so I have a good idea of what I want - what I dont have is, what all components I need to buy. I know that i will overshoot my budget - maybe I should have started with 3L instead of 5L ;)

I am not sure about the projector - I dont think I can set it up in the living room, without making it an eye sore for wife and others. I am still evaluating the option of roof mounting it, and maybe I will get it instead of HDTV - but as of now, the chances are 20% for projector and 80% for HDTV.

I will be getting a media player, and a Blue-ray player. My preference is to get an OPPO BDP-83 SE, and for media players, I will choose between WD TV and PopCornHour C-200

I will try to do room treatment - but problem is - she want to have textured paint on the wall where we put HDTV /Projector and she is not ready to compromise :( her plan to paint three walls in satin finish and one in texture, using contrasting colors. The only option sje have given me is to go for wooden flooring instead of tiles - and I am still thinking about it.

I will wait for your review before deciding about the AVR. If UMC-1 is good, and if I get UPA-7 to pair it with, will it be a good choice?

I will surely do an audition of rethem - just to listen, fi not to buy, and I will certainly take a look at Audire amps (sadly, the website of Audire did not manage to give me much info)

I think my reply to @santhol2 and @georgeo went missing :( I will post it again.
No worries baron, even I missed reading your earlier post where you have mentioned that you can't go for in-walls. Hence my post pointing you to the Klipsch site.

@GeorgeO: I will wait for the review of Emotiva UMC-1 from @santhol2, but to be frank - I am not sure I can really go for a preamp/processor system.I will not be able to have separate speakers for HT and audio - I most probably will go for AVR + multi-channel amp, but I think I will be able to share the speakers.

@santhol2: thanks a lot bro, for your very detailed reply.

I will wait for your review before deciding about the AVR. If UMC-1 is good, and if I get UPA-7 to pair it with, will it be a good choice?
As per courier tracking my UMC-1 is in Bangalore as of this morning, should reach me today or tomorrow max. Yes pairing it with a UPA-7 will be awesome. You don't need an AVR, the UMC-1 excels in both multichannel as well as stereo performance.

This HT is something I wanted for years, so I have a good idea of what I want - what I dont have is, what all components I need to buy. I know that i will overshoot my budget - maybe I should have started with 3L instead of 5L ;)

I am not sure about the projector - I dont think I can set it up in the living room, without making it an eye sore for wife and others. I am still evaluating the option of roof mounting it, and maybe I will get it instead of HDTV - but as of now, the chances are 20% for projector and 80% for HDTV.
We will make you spend over and above your budget, there is no doubt about that.

A projector can be made to look good. Vinay, a HFV member has used a projector lift and a motorised screen in his HT. On the click of a switch, one of the ceiling tiles opens and a projector is lowered into the room. The screen is connected to the projector via a twigger such that when the projector is powered on, the screen drops down. I have not see it myself, but can imagine how fantastic it can be. Try for a projector, not even a 50 inch plasma can give you the experience that a HD projector can. I was also on my way to buy a 50 inch HDTV and members here put me on the right track. Ofcourse, you can have both a HDTV and a projector if you like:D.

I will be getting a media player, and a Blue-ray player. My preference is to get an OPPO BDP-83 SE, and for media players, I will choose between WD TV and PopCornHour C-200
The Oppo and the PCH are excellent players. You definitely need this.

@santhol2 wow, Vinays setup sounds good! that is definitely an option, but I dont think I can afford it :(

ps: Do you have any like to the thread?

Wow - so couple of days more, and you will be enjoying the UMC-1. congratz. :clapping: I will look forward to read your user review.

5L+2L is my total budget, for HT plus HDTV, and by the way things are happening, I am sure i will have to extent my budget - but I will try to do it with minimum damage to my purse ;)

@santhol2 wow, Vinays setup sounds good! that is definitely an option, but I dont think I can afford it :(

ps: Do you have any like to the thread?

Here goes..some blogs and a detailed photoalbum I found in his signature:

Wow - so couple of days more, and you will be enjoying the UMC-1. congratz. :clapping: I will look forward to read your user review.
I can't wait to have my hands on it:) especially after having waited so long after ordering it. That reminds me, just put in your order. There is news that the price of the UMC-1 may go up. The pre-order does not involve a financial commitment, so just keep moving in 'Q' and buy it when your turn comes if you decide to do so.

Last edited:
hi baron smedhi
i think u already have got the best inputs

do chk out the panasonic pt-ae4000 PJ which cud be got for abt 1.2

also do chk out for products in grey market /sourcing from outside

BDP(pioneer/panasonic) can be got for a good price in grey

do consider room acoustics its most important will bring out the best in your system

@santhol2 my bad - I have seen this link and reviews, but could not remember the name when you said about the set up. This setup is awesome, but I am not sure I can streatch my limit to that extent :(

Thanks for the info - I am going to preorder the UMC-1, and have almost decided on UPA-7 also. One of my friend is asking me to take a look at Odyssey Khartago Stereo Extreme, and I think I will take a look at that also.

I am inclined to go for the option 2 - a good Blue ray player and an independent media player. I did some googling, and came up with this model - OPPO - BDP-83 SE. The price is about 40-45K, but if this is a good one, I am willing to consider this.

Is the BD-83SE is a good one? God man, that is the best of the Oppo range with a modified audio circuitry that beats many CD Players hollow. But unless you are ordering it in the US and bringing it yourself, you will not be able to get it at that price. If and when it sells in India it will be in the 75K range.

2. The Processor/Amplifier:
I think i would go the AVR + multi-channel AMP way, but I will wait for the review of @santhol2 about his Emotiva UMC-1 Sound Processor too. The Denon 1910 looks good, and seems like it will fulfill my requirments for movies. I also saw Emotiva UPA-7, priced around $700 - what is your thought about this model? I read lot of good reviews about pure Class D amps, and I think that will be the way I am going.

I have read about the Emotiva products quite extensively. Unfortunately (with apologies to Santosh and Subash), their continuous delay in releasing the product (UMC-1) has left a niggling doubt in my mind. But if you are willing to wait for Santhosh's feed back and then get the Emotiva pair, it will be good.

The Audire multi channel amp is pure Class D, BTW.

I really wish I could have taken your help before, but now, it is almost impossible for me to go for in-wall speakers. I will try to talk my wife into it, but I am not sure the wall depth and speaker depth will allow me to cut holes and put the speakers now.

In wall speakers need 4 to 6 inches of space inside the wall. If you can get wife to agree and you have the depth in the walls, a bit of civil work now will give a very elegant solution. But ultimately you have to do what is possible. Though I also love the presence of floorstanders (I have two pairs), in long run, their screw up your house keeping. At least for me, the who AV equipment is an area barred for everyone else. So once in 15 days, I have disconnect everything, move the speakers and equipment, sweep the floor and clean it thoroughly, while my maid stands in the side with a large grin on her face. :eek:

Cheers

@venkatcr: I have already asked my friend to get me a BD-83SE from US, and I will get it when he comes. :D

I think I will be in same spot, and will have to do my cleaning :eek:

6 inch depth - I will talk to my architect about it, and will get his opinion - let me see what all options I have :)

PS: what is your opinion about Odyssey Khartago Stereo Extreme?

Last edited:
Baron

Good to hear that you are reconsidering your options re 2 channel audio, as well as prepro.People on this forum are pretty knowledgeable and you will benefit by your discussion with them. Any questions just ask!

George

Good to hear that you are reconsidering your options re 2 channel audio, as well as prepro.

Another thing to consider is to a get a good surround processor and get two amplifier - one a two channel and another a 5 channel. That way when you watch movies you will have all seven channels, and when you listen to music, you will have a good stereo set up. The front speakers can be permanently wired to the two channel amplifier. Companies such as Parasound follow this methodology.

The Odyssey takes it lineage from the German Symphonic Line which is highly respected. You cannot go wrong with such products in terms of specifications. BUT, whether you will like the sound is totally dependent upon your ears. At least musical amplifiers and pre-amplifiers MUST be auditioned before you cut the cheque.

Cheers

Another thing to consider is to a get a good surround processor and get two amplifier - one a two channel and another a 5 channel. That way when you watch movies you will have all seven channels, and when you listen to music, you will have a good stereo set up. The front speakers can be permanently wired to the two channel amplifier. Companies such as Parasound follow this methodology.
Good suggestion Venkat, this way you will not have to keep a 7 channel amp powered on while listening to stereo. I am following the same methodology too:). I have a 200W x 2@8ohms Adcom for the front and 100W x 5@8ohms for the remaining channels. The difference in wattage can be adjusted in the sound processor, so Baron could do something similar too.

Also Venkat, I saw your post on Emotiva and the delay. For me, the delay has been a blessing in disguise. It gave me enough time to plan, save up, source a 5 channel power block etc :). Time was not a problem for me as I already had (still do) a decent 5.1 AVR.

Also Venkat, I saw your post on Emotiva and the delay. For me, the delay has been a blessing in disguise. It gave me enough time to plan, save up, source a 5 channel power block etc :). Time was not a problem for me as I already had (still do) a decent 5.1 AVR.

I was not worried so much about the delay as much as I was worried about the reasons for the delay. Oppo followed much better method when they released a set of BD players to a set of select testers. Whatever feedback came was incorporated and a pucca version released into the market. Though Emotiva did not release the product, one could also appreciate their honesty when they accepted issue with the initial versions.

As long it works and you are happy, ALL IZZZ WELLL.

Cheers

I was not worried so much about the delay as much as I was worried about the reasons for the delay. Oppo followed much better method when they released a set of BD players to a set of select testers. Whatever feedback came was incorporated and a pucca version released into the market. Though Emotiva did not release the product, one could also appreciate their honesty when they accepted issue with the initial versions.

Yes Venkat, they had their fair share of issues, but like you mentioned they were honest about it and did all the right things as to not lose their prospective customers. What was also important to me is that they confirmed earlier on that the problem(s) were not related to hardware and it was only a matter of time when the firmware fixes the problems(s). What made me bite the bullet was seeing that Emotiva customers have immense trust that all will be well soon. For me, the choice was only between an AVR with preouts (maybe a 2310 or a similar onkyo) and the UMC-1 since I cannot afford the $2000+ parasounds and anthems (who also are having issues BTW).

Will all be well? Don't know, even I am keeping my fingers crossed. But I'll know soon. The UMC-1 has seen some unexpected shipping delays inspite of my opting for express shipping. It has reached Bangalore, and looks like it will be delivered today. I have been preparing (wiring, cleaning, rearranging my AV Rack, reading the manual) etc whie I wait for its arrival, so will almost be a plug and play once it is here:).

Ahh, Santhosh

Inquiring minds are waiting with bated breath for your initial report..

George

Baron

You need to be aware that every chain is only as strong as its weakest link-a single high end link and not so strong others may not be a good idea-please think carefully about each component.

P.P.S Where are you located in Kerala?

2.1 Get a higher version of AVR that has both good decoding and ample power. I would look at something like the Denon 3310 or the Onkyo 876/907. These would cost around a lakh and would pump out roughly 120 watts per channel. Or you could go one step higher to the 4310 that generates 130 watts and costs 1.50,000.

Hi Venkat,

Onkyo 876 output of 120 Watts per channel is for 5 channels driven, right?

Also, did you mean Onkyo TX-NR 906 when you mentioned "907"? I could not find any link for Onkyo 907 in Onkyo India / EU / USA sites.

Onkyo 876 output of 120 Watts per channel is for 5 channels driven, right? Also, did you mean Onkyo TX-NR 906 when you mentioned "907"? I could not find any link for Onkyo 907 in Onkyo India / EU / USA sites.

I was only quoting rough wattage figures.

I think Onkyo has renamed the 907 to 1007.

Cheers

@venkatcr, santol2,georgeo,subhash,thekinge and marsilians - thanks a lot for all the suggetions.

In an unexpected turn of events, my brother have told me that I can have his Cambridge Audio Azur 840E/W combo which he is now using, and I am thinking about taking up that offer.
Now, I need to find speakers which will match this amp (I have heard this CA 840E/W connected with Legacy Audio Focus 20/20, and I liked it instantly - but I dont think I can afford the same setup here)

PS: This offer frees up some more budget, and boy, am I happy :D

@GeorgeO I am based @ a small town near Thrissur.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back