Audio Gurus - need ur suggetion for a good HT

@venkatcr, santol2,georgeo,subhash,thekinge and marsilians - thanks a lot for all the suggetions.

In an unexpected turn of events, my brother have told me that I can have his Cambridge Audio Azur 840E/W combo which he is now using, and I am thinking about taking up that offer.
Now, I need to find speakers which will match this amp (I have heard this CA 840E/W connected with Legacy Audio Focus 20/20, and I liked it instantly - but I dont think I can afford the same setup here)

PS: This offer frees up some more budget, and boy, am I happy :D

@GeorgeO I am based @ a small town near Thrissur.

where did u get to hear the legacy focus 20/20?
simply loved them and the focus HD too
they definetly are in my wishlist and plan to drive them with the vicent SP998 monoblocks!!!

In an unexpected turn of events, my brother have told me that I can have his Cambridge Audio Azur 840E/W combo which he is now using, and I am thinking about taking up that offer.
Now, I need to find speakers which will match this amp (I have heard this CA 840E/W connected with Legacy Audio Focus 20/20, and I liked it instantly - but I dont think I can afford the same setup here)
That great news Baron. I checked out the CA website and the product looks cool (both looks and spec-wise). What speakers do you have in mind?

What speakers do you have in mind?

I have heard them with the the legacy focus 20/20 - The best will be, IF i can get the 20/20 using a good part of my budget, I can use the rest of my budget for setting up a HT for movies. But I dont think that will be practically fesible.

If you are doing this set up, what speakers will you pair the CA 840E/W with? (I am talking about something around 2.5L mark)

My friend will be geting me the OPPO BDP-83 SE and PCH C-200 - So far, i have these and the CA 840E/W - now need to finalise the rest of the components.

OT: is there anyone who is using CA 840E/W here? Can you please share the experiences and the setup you are running?

I have tentatively decided to go for Magneplanar 1.7 for stereo listening, and for HT, I am thinking of getting Paradigm Cinema 330, Monitor Audio Bronze Reference 5.1 or DefTec Procinema 1000, and now need to find an AVR which can be used with these (Denon /Marantz/HK / Onkyo / Emotiva/ Pioneer some other??? )

If i get 1.7, I will pair it with CA 840E/W - does it sounds like a good plan?

I will audition all these and then only I will decide which to go for.

Will I get a switch which can connect my Oppo to both - the AVR and CA 840E/W?

Last edited:
I have tentatively decided to go for Magneplanar 1.7 for stereo listening, and for HT, I am thinking of getting Paradigm Cinema 330, Monitor Audio Bronze Reference 5.1 or DefTec Procinema 1000, and now need to find an AVR which can be used with these (Denon /Marantz/HK / Onkyo / Emotiva/ Pioneer some other??? )

If i get 1.7, I will pair it with CA 840E/W - does it sounds like a good plan?

I will audition all these and then only I will decide which to go for.
Baron, plan looks good and equipment is :licklips:. Purely going by pictures, the Paradigm seems to fit well with your plan. The front speakers can be mounted on the wall next to the display itself. This way, it does not interfere with your Stereo listening. With the Monitor Audio, you will have two pairs of speakers next to each other which will look odd. Considering your room size, the DefTec may not sufficient. I may be wrong though, haven't done a detailed reading on these, just a quick look.

Are these products available in India? If not, how do you plan to get them over? Borderlinx?

Will I get a switch which can connect my Oppo to both - the AVR and CA 840E/W?
This should not be a problem. For Stereo, the analog interconnects from the Oppo to be connected into the CA840E pre's analog in. For Movies, a single HDMI cable connects the Oppo to your AVR.

Last edited:
I have heard them with the the legacy focus 20/20 - The best will be, IF i can get the 20/20 using a good part of my budget, I can use the rest of my budget for setting up a HT for movies. But I dont think that will be practically fesible.

If you are doing this set up, what speakers will you pair the CA 840E/W with? (I am talking about something around 2.5L mark)

My friend will be geting me the OPPO BDP-83 SE and PCH C-200 - So far, i have these and the CA 840E/W - now need to finalise the rest of the components.

OT: is there anyone who is using CA 840E/W here? Can you please share the experiences and the setup you are running?

i think u shud go for the legacy 20/20 or focus HD

am using the Vincent SP331MK power with Vincent SA31MK pre ,extremly happy :) , plan to get the SP998 Mono blocks sometime in future

@santol2: I plan to get all these components fom USA, but not through Borderlinx - My brother is in US and he said he can ship them for me, but I do see chances of me going to US in the last week of June, for some business purpose. If that happens, I will ship them myself, or I will ask my brother to ship them for me.

First things first: apologies for not posting here for a long time.
I was in US for the past 2 plus months, and the good news is that, I have finalized the components, and I was able to get some extremely sweet deals, but the not so good news is that, it will take another month before I get all these components at hand.
I have brought Magneplanar 1.7 plus CA 840E/W for stereo listening and Paradigm Cinema 330 plus Denon AVR-5308CI for Movies. The sources are OPPO BDP-83 SE and PCH C-200.
At last, I was able to convince wifi to get a projector set up done, and I have brought Panasonic PT AE2000U, with the Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (78" x 139", High Power Surface)

I did blow off my budget with the components, but I have selected all these components after spending considerable time and effort, auditioning and checking out each items. I have also brought Chief RPA181 Projector Ceiling Mount, and cables and interconnectors from Blue Jeans.
Now, i am just waiting for all these to come home, and I will update this thread with pictures.
Thanks again for helping me out - without your help, this could have taken years and yet, I could not have brought what I liked!

@iaudio: This is something I fear I cannot revel here - let us just say that I have a small genie who can bring me things without attracting 'unwanted' attention.

No issues Trichur Baron( your id reminds me of the Jefferey Archer character). So set up the system, enjoy and invite us all for a listen!

Dear Baron ,My Friend is a Home theatre Dealer in Chennai.dealing with SONODYNE Brand Home Theatre Speakers,YAMAHA AND DENON Receivers.

If you have not finalised your Deal Can i help you .You can Drop in my Friends Show Room if you are in chennai.You can see the Contact details as Chennai dealer in SONODYNE web site.VIPUL AUDIO TECH,Kilpauk,Chennai-10.Contact no:9941476667,His Name is Praveen.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back