Audio Quality: Streaming Vs Blu ray Vs Ripped

kmathan88

Recently upgraded my AVR, now trying to source movies to experience the upgrade (5.1.2). For now, most of my movie watching is through Fire TV stick (Prime, Netflix, Hotstar, ..) and few ripped movies via HTPC.

Does Blu ray makes day - night difference when it comes to Audio ? I would like to know the cost effective / preferred source for most of us. Please comment.
And when buying Blu ray via amazon.in, how do I confirm if the disk comes with DTS MA or DTS X or Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos ? Because, same movie can appear in different flavours I believe, in different region.

In a nut shell, Yes. Blu-Ray will sound much much better than ripped movies. The trouble with rip's is it is always degraded in order to keep overall size under control. I recently bought Amadeus Bluray and compared it with a 17GB rip with TrueHD and H.264 video codec. The Video is much sharper and brighter, colors are better. The audio has no harshness and the resolution is excellent. As far as streaming goes I have never been able to get true 5.1 from Amazon Prime. No experience with other streaming services,

In a nut shell, Yes. Blu-Ray will sound much much better than ripped movies. The trouble with rip's is it is always degraded in order to keep overall size under control. I recently bought Amadeus Bluray and compared it with a 17GB rip with TrueHD and H.264 video codec. The Video is much sharper and brighter, colors are better. The audio has no harshness and the resolution is excellent. As far as streaming goes I have never been able to get true 5.1 from Amazon Prime. No experience with other streaming services,

Let me order some Blu ray and try. Old Blu ray player (LG BD550) should be able to bitstream Atmos content to AVR I guess?

So, good ripped movies with TrueHD / Atmos (20GB+) and streaming service, I think will be a good option for daily casual watching. Buying couple of Blu Ray a month will hurt the pocket. :) So, occasional Blu ray movie make sense for me.

Thanks.

Let me order some Blu ray and try. Old Blu ray player (LG BD550) should be able to bitstream Atmos content to AVR I guess?

So, good ripped movies with TrueHD / Atmos (20GB+) and streaming service, I think will be a good option for daily casual watching. Buying couple of Blu Ray a month will hurt the pocket. :) So, occasional Blu ray movie make sense for me.

Thanks.
Seems dolby is working on new codec (Atoms) for streaming services (off topic)

Not to mention, the only Blu ray I ever had was Ocean 11 and it was not the right choice for audio. Not much action in surround.

Hopefully Wonder women will impress me. I will plan Mad Max for next month. I had a chance to see Mad Max in demo before picking my AVR. Even streaming version was good.

Watched Dolby Atmos 2016 demo videos, really good. And John Wick 2, Atmos ripped. It does make lot of difference between 5.1 and 5.1.2. Frankly, now I want more. :)

I saw dual movie in single Blu ray, in Amazon. Mad Max and Gravity, any feedback? Should I buy separate or dual movie is ok?

I have tried interstellar in netflix as well as blueray, and blueray was indeed a higher class especially in audio department, compared to NF.

Does Blu ray makes day - night difference when it comes to Audio ? I would like to know the cost effective / preferred source for most of us. Please comment.

I have never used BR Discs, only live with BR Rips, some very good quality ones..For the same movie between a BR Disc & BR Rip, if they both have DTS-HDMA/ Dolby True HD, they should sound the same as they both are lossless codec.. Same should be Atmos / Dts X Rips too..

A BR Rip can vastly vary in size according to the length of the movie and the different audio tracks in it.. A 1080p resolution, 90 mins movie with Atmos track is roughly 10 ~ 12 GB.. Now the same movie can be found with 25GB file too.. Only difference is the latter has many language audio tracks in it (usually found on BR Disc), which isn't necessary for a BR Rip..

And when buying Blu ray via amazon.in, how do I confirm if the disk comes with DTS MA or DTS X or Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos ? Because, same movie can appear in different flavours I believe, in different region.

A Blu ray Disc would most likely have HD Audio streams, because of the higher capacity.. Check the images on the back side of the box.. There might be mention of codec quality..

I have never used BR Discs, only live with BR Rips, some very good quality ones..For the same movie between a BR Disc & BR Rip, if they both have DTS-HDMA/ Dolby True HD, they should sound the same as they both are lossless codec.. Same should be Atmos / Dts X Rips too..

A BR Rip can vastly vary in size according to the length of the movie and the different audio tracks in it.. A 1080p resolution, 90 mins movie with Atmos track is roughly 10 ~ 12 GB.. Now the same movie can be found with 25GB file too.. Only difference is the latter has many language audio tracks in it (usually found on BR Disc), which isn't necessary for a BR Rip..

A Blu ray Disc would most likely have HD Audio streams, because of the higher capacity.. Check the images on the back side of the box.. There might be mention of codec quality..
I got few blu ray movies to try. I will compare with Blu ray rip for the same movie. Hopefully Blu ray player won't impact the sound quality when we use bit stream.

I have tried interstellar in netflix as well as blueray, and blueray was indeed a higher class especially in audio department, compared to NF.
You watched in 4K Atmos from Netflix ? If so, which device you used for streaming. Does PS4, support Netflix Atmos? I read that it is working, but Netflix official mention for Atmos support device is limited to XBox and some LG models.

Watched Wonder Women in Blu ray, definitely the video / audio quality is much better than any blu ray rip I have seen so far. But, I need deep pockets to watch on blu ray regularly. So, occasional blu ray make sense for sure.

Mad max and Gravity is on my wishlist.

You watched in 4K Atmos from Netflix ? If so, which device you used for streaming. Does PS4, support Netflix Atmos? I read that it is working, but Netflix official mention for Atmos support device is limited to XBox and some LG models.

Nope, it was just DD+ in NF compared to DTS in BR, not Atmos. By the way, does netflix support Atmos? If yes, I may need to give it a try. Have an xbox, so let me try to ....

Nope, it was just DD+ in NF compared to DTS in BR, not Atmos. By the way, does netflix support Atmos? If yes, I may need to give it a try. Have an xbox, so let me try to ....
Xbox support Atmos and you need Netflix 4 Screen subscription for 4K and Atmos. Do you have 4K display too?
Hopefully even with normal screen, if we have Xbox and Atmos receiver it should work I believe.
  • Okja (June 28)
  • BLAME! (July 28)
  • Death Note (August 25)
  • Bright (December)
  • Wheelman (2017)
Let us know your experience.

Did you get chance to check Atmos in Xbox ?
I read Windows 10 Netflix app supports Atmos now. Can someone confirm please?

I tried Netflix in Windows 10 app and Atmos worked as expected.

Dolby access app provides couple for dolby atmos demo videos.

Cannot compare Dolby Atmos on Netflix with that on BDs as the bitrates are too low on Netflix (I've tried using Win10 Netflix app). While BD will have much higher bitrate audio with Atmos metadata, Netflix is just sending Atmos metadata with Dolby Digital signal which is not comparable (its just that you get height speakers activated).

Watched Wonder Women in Blu ray, definitely the video / audio quality is much better than any blu ray rip I have seen so far.

Here is some info on the usual download file..

o3Oomng.jpg

The Red box represents a 1080p file with Atmos soundtrack - Approx 9 GB

The Blue Box represents a 2160P file with Atmos soundtrack (Remux file) - Approx 60 GB..

In both the files, only the video quality is the difference (1080p Vs 2160p).. Audio file size is the same in both the files, which is the same as BR Disc (lossless)..

w.r.t video quality, yes there is difference.. you just have to use your discretion for highest file size..

But, I need deep pockets to watch on blu ray regularly.

Same here :(

Some maths..

Avg cost of a movie ticket in US is $10.00 (or) less, equal to own a movie in BR Disc there, it is $12.00 (or) less

In India, avg cost of movie ticket is Rs 120 (or) less, not equal to own a movie in BR Disc here, it is Rs 999 (or) lil less..:eek: How on earth would they sell more BR Discs here ? :cool:..

Just can't digest the fact that for superior quality in BR Disc, we need to pay 10 times more than a movie ticket..

Just wish someday, BR Disc is sold for Rs 100 here, so we can own at-least best 100 movie discs..

Some maths..

Avg cost of a movie ticket in US is $10.00 (or) less, equal to own a movie in BR Disc there, it is $12.00 (or) less

In India, avg cost of movie ticket is Rs 120 (or) less, not equal to own a movie in BR Disc here, it is Rs 999 (or) lil less..:eek: How on earth would they sell more BR Discs here ? :cool:..

I suppose that ticket price is some special price in Chennai. In Bangalore. Any theater showing good quality sound in a multiplex would charge around 400-700. Plus if you are going with your family then you are paying into 4 while the BD is paid only once.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back