Auralex Subdude HD/Auralex Mopads: please advice

audiodelic

Applies to my 2.1 audioengine setup in a room with no acoustic treatment, the bookshelves are placed on tv cabinet and the subwoofer below in a corner right side of the speakers. I listen to bass heavy electronica with fast continuous bass beats. My sub woofer sounds very boomy/muddy and i can hear many things rattle including my room, the desk itself and the glass in it, i have glass door across the room which opens into balcony which also rattles heavily. The problem is severe, i hear the glass/cabinet/wooden door rattles more than i hear the actual low bass from sub woofer.

I am planning on investing around 10,000 for auralex mopads for the ae5 + subdude hd for the downward firing sub woofer.
Is it going to substantially improve the boomy/muddy sound in my situation
Is it going to reduce these glass/cabinet/doors rattles substantially?

thanks as always

Last edited:
Santosh and I are using the Auralex GRAMMA on which we have placed our subs.

In my case, the GRAMMA has tightened the bass as well as completely eliminated the transfer of low frequencies through the floor. I am not sure, though, that the SubDude or GRAMMA can isolate or act as a bass trap for other parts of the room.

Cheers

Last edited:
Pads will help in reducing the freq transmission through the surface where it has a physical contact, it is more useful for your neighbors. But the vibrations inside your room is not only because of the transmission through the surface but also through the air, the materials are rattling because of the resonance (when the resonance frequency of the material is same as the audio freq.) To reduce that, the only way is either to remove those from the room or tightly secure the vibrating materials.

Santosh and I are using the Auralex GRAMMA on which we have placed our subs.

In my case, the GRAMMA has tightened the bass as well as completely eliminated the transfer of low frequencies through the floor. I am not sure, though, that the SubDude or GRAMMA can isolate or act as a bass trap for other parts of the room.

Cheers
Good to hear that Venkat. I have not yet tested mine since my DIY sub build won't start until later this month. Will drop the GRAMMAs at Subhash's place so he can try with his Deftech Trinity Supercube.

Pads will help in reducing the freq transmission through the surface where it has a physical contact, it is more useful for your neighbors. But the vibrations inside your room is not only because of the transmission through the surface but also through the air, the materials are rattling because of the resonance (when the resonance frequency of the material is same as the audio freq.) To reduce that, the only way is either to remove those from the room or tightly secure the vibrating materials.
You are right cmsajith, this will only address the structural vibrations.

Your problem seems to be room modes and what you need is room correction. There is a whole forum on room correction in HFV and there are many ideas there.

What ever room treatments you do, if there are any loose components that can rattle will rattle. Room mode treatment is done for a different purpose.

Guess there are three things in audiodelic's post:

• All objects resonate at their resonance frequency. No matter what we do (other than remove/fix/tighten/dampen), objects will vibrate when the resonance frequency matches the frequency response being produced by the speaker/subwoofer.
  • Boomy/muddy bass that can be tamed by room treatment/subwoofer tuning/subwoofer placement
  • Vibrations transmitted through the stucture causing the Low Frequency to be felt elsewhere in the house. This can be fixed by decoupling/floating techniques like the Auralex or similar.

Looks like acoustic room treatment is a better solution for my problem but my dad will freak as aesthetics of the room is very important to him. Im planning on ordering the mopads first as my monitors are placed on a bookshelf which vibrates heavily.

I will take some photographs of my room and post it here so that you guys can help me out and advice specifically where i should place the bass traps and possibly in the second phase treat first reflection points.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back