AV Cabinet/Furniture makers?

raghumailbox

Hi,
I wanted to custom make a cabinet for my AV equipment.
The cabinets available in the market looks good but don't serve my whole purpose.
I do not want to invest on a good plywood type, but a good MDF type in ok.

Can someone suggest me a shop/manufacturer who can make a cabinet as per my requirement for reasonable cost in Bangalore (preferably Whitefiled-Indiranagar side)

Reasonable cost, because i may have different plans tomorrow to change it.

if you have the design then you might want to check with few carpentars in your area.

I think this should be possible.

Hi,
I wanted to custom make a cabinet for my AV equipment.
The cabinets available in the market looks good but don't serve my whole purpose.
I do not want to invest on a good plywood type, but a good MDF type in ok.

Can someone suggest me a shop/manufacturer who can make a cabinet as per my requirement for reasonable cost in Bangalore (preferably Whitefiled-Indiranagar side)

Reasonable cost, because i may have different plans tomorrow to change it.

Hey. There's a shop in Indiranagar : Soulscape. The make/design furniture based on the user requirements. You could go and have a look. They have some really innovative pieces. Its on 12th main. A few shops after the Yamaha music shop (on the same side). The price range is i think 2.5-3.5k per square foot (depends on the material you choose).

everybody has his own view. I think 2500 to 3500 is a very high price.

a good quality plwood/mdf structure with wood veneer should cost abt 1200 to 1500 per sq feet.

Regards

Is it possible to charge the cost of the furniture per sq.ft? How is it measured? Or is is the charge of material?

Market is flooded with MDF made furniture. I am sure you would be able to find your choice. Readymade will always be cheaper than custom made.
Problem is when one wants a custom made design in ply .

Using Ply is always good, but ply (with finishing) would cost 3 times more than the MDF. If you don't get good carpenter he will spoil the final finish of the ply cabinet.

Is it possible to charge the cost of the furniture per sq.ft? How is it measured? Or is is the charge of material?

in bangalore price is generally quoted per sq feet basis for most of the customised home interiors items like wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, tv units etc.

This cost changes based the material used. Generally waterproof ply with good veneer cost on higher side, yes there are always more options for material.

Using Ply is always good, but ply (with finishing) would cost 3 times more than the MDF. If you don't get good carpenter he will spoil the final finish of the ply cabinet.

how abt ply with wooden frame. Challenge will be to match the colour of the veneer with that of wood if we want wooden grains.

No issues if we want paint, but for sure then the looks will not be that good.

Finally ordered this attached cabinet/rack.

Due to lot of space constraints I need to manage the space better.

Carpenter quoted me 15k for this including polishing and finishing.

Went to a know furniture shop who is good in customizing/copying good branded furniture. Some time back he had made me a cot similar to one of the Zuari's style.

Total cost - 7.2k all incl.
Material - Particle board

Since I have plan for changing it in future, so particle board is better.
I had designed it in such a way that i can make it 3 separate pieces.

Last edited:
raghu please stay away from using particle boards for AV rack. These things start creaking over a period of time with the weight of the AVR/stereo amps.
My experience with Zuari, has been bad. Picked up a 2 door wardrobe from them since I needed an extra one after my daughter was born.

It's the only purchase I regret to this date. The quality was bad and mind you they have paper laminates on the wood, unlike the conventional laminates we find in the upmarket stores.

Raghu since this is a stop-gap kind of arrangement, it is okay. But otherwise rjstyles has a valid point. Particle board for an AV RACK is a bad idea. It will muddy the mid-bass and possibly also the lower mids.

For AV rack it either be wood or open sides.

raghu My experience with Zuari, has been bad. Picked up a 2 door wardrobe from them since I needed an extra one after my daughter was born.

Even I had a similar experience with Zuari computer table. The joint seemed to cracked a little after 5-6 years.

Hey I had ordered it and its on my way. This is just a stop gap. Later i will be turning it to something else.
I also had the similar experience with Zuari items.

According to me, 15k is an exhorbitant price for that rack, assuming he will make it out of plywood / plyboard.
Materials
- Ply - 8ft by 6 ft = 48 sqft. One board will be enough. Search 'R2cut' software to get layout simulation as per your specification. The best priced ply board (boards will be strong) will be @ 90 / sqft, without laminate. i.e Rs 4320, say Rs 4500.
- Laminate - Max Rs 3500 even if you go for the steel finish ones. The normal wood finish ones will cost less.
- Butts, screws, glue another Rs 1000 max. The wood screws come for Rs 1 each (1 inch screws), max of 50 such screws are required. 'Butts' (not the human ones :) ) as per requirement / reinforsment. Industry grade glue.......ample of them to stick the laminate.
- If you go for pre-laminated boards then add another Rs 80 to the boad cost and reduce the expenditure on glue. You dont need glue for the joints.
- Time to build the rack, max 3 days. Carpenter service charges = Rs 500 per day.

Total = Rs 4500 + Rs 3500 + Rs 1000 + Rs 1500 = Rs 10500

If you get a pre laminated ply board, then reduce cost of glue and laminate. Ask the vendor of the laminated playboard to cut it for you as per your specification and you can do it in a single day with a drill (better) or a simple screwdriver. Cost of cutting the plyboard as per your specification Rs 150 max.

I'm talking with some experience, incase every sentence looks 'hunky dory' :) DIY rules :)

@pupupuchi28 - Thank you for your advice. Firstly i am not a DYI guy, so it will be difficult for me to make it. I have all DIY tools but limited to some minor repairs at home or for friends.

These days carpenters wants to make good money from us, by the time we tell AV rack they will sense some good money from us.

@pupupuchi28-these are great details/information from your side.

Sourcing the material is not a problem at all and the cost can be even lessor. but the problem starts with the labour cost. It is difficult to get the carpentars for 500/-- per day. the Contracter pays 400 per day to the carpentars, however same carpentars ask much higher price from us or many of them dont want to deal with customer directly, they refer us to their contractors.

I will be thanksful to you if you could give some idea on getting carpentars to for us for 500/-- per day as i am planning to build speaker stands, hifi rack and a side storage cabinet.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back