Awesome custom made Surround sound system

Is Ravi Desai, is Mr Ravindra Desai @Ravindra Desai on our HFV forum? He's from Kolhapur as well, I have a reasonable idea of his proficiency in hifi audio DIY skills from his responses on the DIY threads...
I'm pretty interested in this DIY setup, I'm fairly open to unbranded systems. Post pictures, video demo & specifications ASAP.

@Ravindra Desai to clearify if possible!
Yes both are Same

Kedar,

Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Guys,

What Kedar ment was that He did not find it worth investing in an elaborate system such as Dolby Atmos and that his requirements were covered with what I had to offer. Nothing wrong with that, right?
Like how our media does, let us not twist his words. We all know he did not mean to say that Dolby/ expensive systems are hopeless. So why this commotion?

I am jumping in and will help you understand what ever you need to know.
Also, like drkrack rightly suggested, I will reference movie clips and share with you how my system behaves/ sounds to those exact sequences. This will give us a fair idea of what the system is about till more have the opportunity to hear it in person and share their views here. Ok?

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thank you for a sensible reply.

Look forward to your inputs.

The reply by FM Celester reflects a snobbish attitude and makes for sad reading.

Intelligent people cannot make disparaging comments about any other city or place just because they happen to be small or locationally far away.

There is also the "pricing" issue that needs to be cleared up. Branded stuff is sometimes sold at double the price of what International prices command. Do consider the dealer/distributor /marketing costs and profit margins, Import duty and what not. So a hundred dollar product can easily cost $200, $300 or more. So the system in question if becomes a "hit" can easily cost more than double the price.

My system

Attachments

• IMG-20180506-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0021.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20180506-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0020.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20180506-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0019.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20180506-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0017.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20180506-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0018.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG-20180506-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0025.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG-20180506-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20180506-WA0024.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 116
Kedar,

Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Guys,

What Kedar ment was that He did not find it worth investing in an elaborate system such as Dolby Atmos and that his requirements were covered with what I had to offer. Nothing wrong with that, right?
Like how our media does, let us not twist his words. We all know he did not mean to say that Dolby/ expensive systems are hopeless. So why this commotion?

I am jumping in and will help you understand what ever you need to know.
Also, like drkrack rightly suggested, I will reference movie clips and share with you how my system behaves/ sounds to those exact sequences. This will give us a fair idea of what the system is about till more have the opportunity to hear it in person and share their views here. Ok?

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thank you for jumping in. The thread was going no where with just claims. What we members are unsettled with is the fact that the claims are backed with no facts, no details on the components used, the purpose of those components, how they differ with or are similar to their branded counterparts, amplifier details , DSP details, etc etc which become extremely important while making claims.

Now I also see that the room seems to be a fully treated dedicated room which now makes this thread even more complicated as there was no mention what so ever of the kind and amount of treatment done and how the setup sounded with and without it.

I hope you can fill all these huge gaps and provide the details. As they say the beauty is in the details and I am sure with proper data a lot of members would be extremely interested in this build.

Subscribed
MaSh

Thank you for jumping in. The thread was going no where with just claims. What we members are unsettled with is the fact that the claims are backed with no facts, no details on the components used, the purpose of those components, how they differ with or are similar to their branded counterparts, amplifier details , DSP details, etc etc which become extremely important while making claims.

Now I also see that the room seems to be a fully treated dedicated room which now makes this thread even more complicated as there was no mention what so ever of the kind and amount of treatment done and how the setup sounded with and without it.

I hope you can fill all these huge gaps and provide the details. As they say the beauty is in the details and I am sure with proper data a lot of members would be extremely interested in this build.

Subscribed
MaSh
Hello ,
No accoustic treatment has been done. The Maroon colour fabric is just a part of the interior.
Thanks

@Kedar d patkar :
Awesome, Kedar!
Looks great!!

@mpw :
Kolhapur is small, but is a town with highest per capita income in India. Every 1st luxury car launched in India is purchased in Kolhapur. Strange, know?
However, there is a tendancy amongst Kolhapuris to want everything produced locally @ Vada-Pav rate. So, that forces engineers like me to innovate and come up with a compelling solution for the mass market.

@tuff :
My production rate is 10pcs/ lot. So, cost is a challenge. However, I use the best of components in the world, do due diligence to the design.
I believe that even if it matches the 'branded' systems in quality, if not exceed, I stand a good chance. Service and warranty are other parameters that one needs to consider. But, if the production rate even triples, the prices could be made very, very attractive!!

@MaSh :
Thanks for your interest! I have mentioned the technical details of the Processor, Amplifier and the Speaker System in the DIY section.

In this thread, I will relate all these components to real life experience with references to movie clips and song sequences to enable readers to relate.

Kindly give me some more time.....

With regards,

Ravindra.

Thank you for a sensible reply.

Look forward to your inputs.

The reply by FM Celester reflects a snobbish attitude and makes for sad reading.

Intelligent people cannot make disparaging comments about any other city or place just because they happen to be small or locationally far away.
Intelligent people also don't make ridiculous claims. Whatever floats your boat Mahesh. I'm not going to get personal cause I don't have the time. Yeah I'm a snob, I live in Mumbai. I'm also sarcastic occasionally.

Looks great, refreshingly new look , thanks @Ravindra Desai for pitching in ; awaiting the other details and video demos ; a brief overview of specifications without the DIY jargon for less technical people (like myself) will be useful...
Movie clip is large in size I will rather share it with you on WhatsApp .
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Movie clip is large in size I will rather share it with you on WhatsApp . My no.is 9850198901
Thanks.
I would suggest uploading to YouTube if you can. So Future thread readers can also avail of it instead messaging you constantly.

@MaSh :
Thanks for your interest! I have mentioned the technical details of the Processor, Amplifier and the Speaker System in the DIY section.

In this thread, I will relate all these components to real life experience with references to movie clips and song sequences to enable readers to relate.

Kindly give me some more time.....

With regards,

Ravindra.

Great thank you. However, I would like to see the details of components used in this setup without jumping back and forth to another generic thread. Eagerly waiting for the details.

Hello ,
No accoustic treatment has been done. The Maroon colour fabric is just a part of the interior.
Thanks

What do you mean by that? Could you provide details? Is it just maroon fabric on the walls? What do you have on floor?

MaSh

Also what I meant to ask was what if you want to hear the atmos sound track of the movie ?
It can't be done if the processor can't decode Atmos signals and send it to invidual channels

So if we compare apples to apples agreed the OPs setup is something good at sane price but when you say it's better then atmos it makes no sense as it can't do atmos

No is questioning the value or.perofornance of setup for what it does

Welcome Mr. Kedar to hifivision forum.
By the way what was your Hi-fi set up previously ? Can you please let us know how do you recommend us to do away with "Dolby Atmos and all such expensive things". If you have experienced a good set up before then your comparison can be acceptable.
With due regards to Mr. Desai and his innovative product which I am yet to get an opportunity to listen to as I have already having one AVR.
Thanks.

Great thank you. However, I would like to see the details of components used in this setup without jumping back and forth to another generic thread. Eagerly waiting for the details.

What do you mean by that? Could you provide details? Is it just maroon fabric on the walls? What do you have on floor?

MaSh
On the floor I have put exibition woolen Matting.

On the floor I have put exibition woolen Matting.
Great thank you.

Could you provide the details on the setups you had auditioned prior to going in for the current setup? Which receivers , speakers, subs, etc combination were auditioned and at what price range? That might give us an idea of where your current setup is, because without you providing us with any benchmark, we cannot truly appreciate the potential of your setup.

Although, it's great that you are satisfied with your setup and at the end of the day that is all that matters. Congratulations.

MaSh

Great thank you.

Could you provide the details on the setups you had auditioned prior to going in for the current setup? Which receivers , speakers, subs, etc combination were auditioned and at what price range? That might give us an idea of where your current setup is, because without you providing us with any benchmark, we cannot truly appreciate the potential of your setup.

Although, it's great that you are satisfied with your setup and at the end of the day that is all that matters. Congratulations.

MaSh
First I have go through Reflex audios Dolby Atmos setup it costs arround 115000/-
It produced very loud bass something like we hear in Dj ststems. It's very loud . I thought this will not useful in home setup.so I gone through Sony's 5.1 system it's a cheapest option arround 22000/- .But Detailing was missing.i tried Yamaha Dolby Atmos. .It's also very expensive. Not useful for home users.Then through just dial I come to know about Mr.Desai's surround sound system. After listening various stuff I finalised his system.

Dear all,

I'll start with Kedar's set-up as shown in post # 25 of this thread:
I have only contributed to the sound system part of this set-up.
The layout, design and even the installation of room, screen, projector and sound system is done by Kedar himself.
However, we did discuss a lot in detail. e.g. :
a. Distance of the first row from the screen
b. Height of the 2nd row chairs from the floor
c. height of center, surround speakers from floor
d. width of the screen, projector height and length

From the dimensions of the room and the kind of material he was going to use for interior, we agreed that I would help him with acoustics only if it is needed. If there is no echo, or if the room does not boom, we will keep it un-treated.
I have not, yet, been to Kedar's place yet. So I will take his word that the room be left un-treated.

Kedar is my first walk-in to have found me through the net!!
As with everyone, before a demo, I asked him for his detailed requirement and concluded that he needed a sound system to be used with a projector in a dedicated room and he did not need any media player with USB and Bluetooth. A Surround Sound System.

Before the demo I informed him (and his friend who accompanied him) that while almost all systems in the market need 5CH and above to surround you, My System needs only 2CH!! Its different, I know. But its practical, for most people and their requirements.

The System that I offered him:

1. Surround Sound Ampli-Decoder
2. 2.1CH Center-Surround-Subwoofer speaker set

Surround Sound Ampli-Decoder: It consists of:
i. A Digital Audio Processor based on SigmaDSP audio processor with its power supply
ii. A 2.1CH single board amplifier with its power supply
iii. A front panel with 4 potentiometers and one status LED
iv. A back panel with 2 x stereo analog inputs and 1 x SPDIF digital input that is jumper settable to select between optical input or co-axial input

2.1CH Center-Surround-Subwoofer speaker set:
i. Center speaker: One speaker that houses 2 x 3" Full range speakers
ii. Surround Speaker: Two speakers that each houses 1 x 3" Full range speakers
iii. Subwoofer: One sealed speaker that houses 1 x 8" subwoofer.

The wiring layout and speaker layout is as shown in the attached pdf.
The speaker layout in the center is used for demo and in Kedar's set-up.

Through a demo I prove all the tall claims that I make. The following is the list that also serves to highlight the features of the system:
1. Short circuit proof amplifiers!
2. System that can handle 190V to 265V mains supply variation. So no external stabilizer is needed!
3. During demo, passage from the movies is so selected that dialogues is followed by a song sequence. Here it is demonstrated that soft passages as well as loud passages are handled such that you don't have to change the volume. This is repeated for low, medium and high volume to demonstrate consistency in quality irrespective of the master volume setting!
4. Different sources are used. PC output, USB, Bluetooth (for music and songs) as well as STB to demonstrate that the system will produce good quality surround sound irrespective of the input source as long as it is stereo!

In summary, the customer is made aware of the quality, ease of use and cost without going into any technical details.
20Wrms/CH for room size of 400sq. ft., 80W/CH for large rooms, 160Wrms/CH for cinema theaters upto 650 seat capacity with appropriate speaker systems are used. Quality remains the same!

Above feature set is in its entirety is very unique and it requires a lot of guts to demonstrate it all in a single system in a single demo.
I promise them that it will sound the same in their houses, if not better and that it can be used by everyone in the house, not just the single geek, day in and day out, with any stereo content and not have to wait for a certain blu-ray with certain track configuration or a certain type of sound transmission.

My aim is not just to do business but to ensure that the customers money is well spent. I educate them and learn from them as needed.

I still need more time to reference the movie/ song clips to system behavior.
But let me know what you think so far.

@MaSh , @rikhav : I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• 2.1CH Surround.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back