Awesome custom made Surround sound system

@MaSh and all,

Some more details for you:
The system has input level sensing in the processor and speaker impedance monitor in the amplifier feedback loop.
So the whole system calibrates itself in runtime. Unlike all the systems in the market that depend on frequency domain correction which makes it speaker/ room specific, my system processes signal based on level of the sound passages and impedance of the speaker for the particular frequency at that instance, making it very generic from a calibration stand-point.
This allows use of any source and any speaker system and still deliver consistent quality without the need for calibration.

Since the speaker system provided is fullrange system, with the crossover being well outside the vocal range helps the tonal quality and over all consistency in all the channels with respect to delays and phase relations.

These features are very unique to my system.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Last edited:
Excellent, sounds very impressive. Would be nice if you could shoot a demo video , upload to YouTube and share it with us. It would be nice to see it calibrate in real time along with my ther features.

We all did read about your DSP in the other thread and it did sound intelligent. A video will surely help visualise it better.

MaSh

Hello all,

I had a tough time thinking how I would be able to convey My Sound System behavior by references to movie clips.
Here is how I have attempted it. I hope that it meets the approval of you people because the next best would be a live demo.

Details: The sound system should be able to produce minute details. By details, don't restrict yourself to treble only.
E.g.

1. Snapshot Details-1 from Bahubali has the saadhu wiping his moustaches. The sound of his thumb bushing the moutache hair is captured and should be heard

2. Snapshot Details-2 from Bajirao Mastani where Bajirao undergoes a test in Archery. The arrow hitting the sand is in the snapshot. Arrow hits the sand, sand flies, flown sand hits the ground again. The sound of sand particles hitting the ground should be heard

3. Snapshot Details-3 from Bajirao Mastani has the two female characters talking. The scene is intense and has soft words spoken with a very heavy throat. All the words spoken by both the characters should be clearly audible.
In the same scene, there is all kinds of treble from various jewelery. At the capture point of the attached snapshot, Priyanka just nods and says Hmm!
When she nods, her earring sound should be audible

4. Snapshot Details-4 is from PK. In the song, the two kiss twice. Sound of both the kisses should be heard

5. Snapshot Details-5 is from Jodha Akbar where Aishwarya is lifting the parda. The sound of the parda should be heard

Ambience: It is easy to notice panned effects. However ambience is a large part of the movies that happens without drawing the attention. It is the ambient sound that creates the experience of realism and draws you in the scene.

E.g

Snapshot Ambience-1 is a scene from Jodha Akbar where Akbar visits the market in a disguise. The sound of the market surrounds you making you feel part of the market

Snapshot Ambience-2 is a scene from Jodha Akbar where Akbar his ministers and Clergy are in a discussion in his Mahal. The acoustics of the mahal creates a reverb which makes you feel you are yourself in a mahal

This is the level of details I go into during a demo or during a review. My sound system does all this and more!
To me subtlties likes these are what defines the character of a sound system not its brand, cost or where it is made.

I hope that you will appreciate this attempt of mine to further convey the capabilities of My Sound System.
I also hope that we would be able to reach across to enjoy it in much much more detail

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• Details-1_Bahubali.JPG
    Details-1_Bahubali.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 54
  • Details-2_BajiraoMastani.JPG
    Details-2_BajiraoMastani.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Details-3_BajiraoMastani.JPG
    Details-3_BajiraoMastani.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Details-4_PK.JPG
    Details-4_PK.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Details-5_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    Details-5_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Ambience-1_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    Ambience-1_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Ambience-2_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    Ambience-2_JodhaAkbar.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 35
@MaSh and all,

Some more details for you:
The system has input level sensing in the processor and speaker impedance monitor in the amplifier feedback loop.
So the whole system calibrates itself in runtime. Unlike all the systems in the market that depend on frequency domain correction which makes it speaker/ room specific, my system processes signal based on level of the sound passages and impedance of the speaker for the particular frequency at that instance, making it very generic from a calibration stand-point.
This allows use of any source and any speaker system and still deliver consistent quality without the need for calibration.

Since the speaker system provided is fullrange system, with the crossover being well outside the vocal range helps the tonal quality and over all consistency in all the channels with respect to delays and phase relations.

These features are very unique to my system.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Any particular brand of the FR drivers used? Curious to know.

Every man's home is his castle....but it would still be nice to have something objective to look at, rather than just subjective listening impressions (sure, they are important too... Before I get pounced upon)

Mr.Desai, I can understand that you may not rlwantto share schematics or other technical details since this is a commercial system for you, but would you have any objective measurements of the system? Even basic stuff like frequency response, in-room performance with and without the corrections your system does etc. As an electronics engineer, I am sure you would have measured your system, and not just gone "by ear". Do share.

Any particular brand of the FR drivers used? Curious to know.
Its iWai 3" Full range for sats and iWai 8" for the sub in sealed enclosure.

Every man's home is his castle....but it would still be nice to have something objective to look at, rather than just subjective listening impressions (sure, they are important too... Before I get pounced upon)

Mr.Desai, I can understand that you may not rlwantto share schematics or other technical details since this is a commercial system for you, but would you have any objective measurements of the system? Even basic stuff like frequency response, in-room performance with and without the corrections your system does etc. As an electronics engineer, I am sure you would have measured your system, and not just gone "by ear". Do share.

Hello Surfatwork,

In audio, you could take one of the two paths: Design and calibrate your system to make the microphone happy or design a system to make your ears happy. After a few years of design for turbine controls applications where there was no room for any subjective approach, I have chosen to go for the latter approach in audio.
Don't get me wrong, I use theory, do the calculations and measurements during system validation if any new component is introduced.
For sales, I let the end user decide based only on quality, power and cost. So sorry, I don't want to get into objective part, in public, in audio.

What part of the system schematics/ technical details are you interested in?

Regards,

Ravindra.

Ravindra Desai said:
Hello Surfatwork,

In audio, you could take one of the two paths: Design and calibrate your system to make the microphone happy or design a system to make your ears happy. After a few years of design for turbine controls applications where there was no room for any subjective approach, I have chosen to go for the latter approach in audio.
Don't get me wrong, I use theory, do the calculations and measurements during system validation if any new component is introduced.
For sales, I let the end user decide based only on quality, power and cost. So sorry, I don't want to get into objective part, in public, in audio.

What part of the system schematics/ technical details are you interested in?

Regards,

Ravindra.
Oh well, okay then.

Hi Ravi, As it seems the magic trick is in the processing unit, Is there any chance you can build just the processing unit without the amplifier or the speakers? It would be easier (and cheaper) for people to buy and still use the amplification and speakers from their existing system.
I meant to ask if I insert a processing unit between my source and amplifier,would it work?

Hi Ravi, As it seems the magic trick is in the processing unit, Is there any chance you can build just the processing unit without the amplifier or the speakers? It would be easier (and cheaper) for people to buy and still use the amplification and speakers from their existing system.
I meant to ask if I insert a processing unit between my source and amplifier,would it work?

The magic is spread across processor and amplifier.
The processor acts as a magnifying glass and allows you to see the source of the sound (instruments, vocal chords...) more closely.
The amplifier makes the system robust, long lasting and makes low cost speakers to sound 10X better.

However, even with my proc + amp combo, it remains true that better speakers will deliver better results.

To answer your question:
1. Yes, it is possible that you could choose to upgrade only the processor or only the amplifier or only the speaker system or any combination of the three components to suite your needs and existing inventory. Yes, with me you can stagger your budget to build a system step by step. In fact I have bundled Bose Acoustimass speakers with my electronics with fantastic results for quite a few people who wanted a better brand to be visible.
2. Yes, you could insert the processor between the source and the amplifier to get better results.

Ok, I have used iwai 3" FR in my micro- TL speakers and they sound fantastic imo. I may plan a micro- OB speakers with them in future.

TL an OB look to be exciting choices, especially for stereo. Since I have no experience or study with either, I will look to you for help/ guidance and education on these.

iWai helps bring consistency to my package and the fact that they supply drivers with T-S parameters is a bonus.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Its iWai 3" Full range for sats

Regards,

Ravindra.
Ok, I have used iwai 3" FR in my micro- TL speakers and they sound fantastic imo. I may plan a micro- OB speakers with them in future.
The processor acts as a magnifying glass and allows you to see the source of the sound (instruments, vocal chords...) more closely.
The amplifier makes the system robust, long lasting and makes low cost speakers to sound 10X better.

However, even with my proc + amp combo, it remains true that better speakers will deliver better results.

To answer your question:
1. Yes, it is possible that you could choose to upgrade only the processor or only the amplifier or only the speaker system or any combination of the three components to suite your needs and existing inventory. Yes, with me you can stagger your budget to build a system step by step. In fact I have bundled Bose Acoustimass speakers with my electronics with fantastic results for quite a few people who wanted a better brand to be visible.
2. Yes, you could insert the processor between the source and the amplifier to get better results.

TL an OB look to be exciting choices, especially for stereo. Since I have no experience or study with either, I will look to you for help/ guidance and education on these.

iWai helps bring consistency to my package and the fact that they supply drivers with T-S parameters is a bonus.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Also I have noted measured and published TS parameters are very close in case of iwai unlike Peerless.

To answer your question:

Regards,

Ravindra.
How much it costs for 7.2.2 ? Speakers, amp and processor.

Wow!
This thread has certainly calmed down! :)

It reminds me of the day when I installed Dolby DA-20 in Padma Theater, Kolhapur with my sound system with an optical pre-amplifier in the fallback.
We were on the verge of screening Bobby Deol's Barsaat and the whole of Naaz building was telling the Padma theater owner that Dolby DA-20 requires Dolby CP-65 and above to even power up so be ready for a disaster.
Everything went smoothly! Barsaat was technically very well done and had fantastic sound recording.

Thrill of managing a thread sound with a LIVE audience....!!!!!

Thanks guys, for all your support and keep it coming!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back