Ayre products

murali

I am interested to know who else in this forum owns and uses equipment from Ayre, CDP/preamp/amp. If there is anyone, please let me know so that we can share our common experiences. Thanks in advance.
> murali

I like their amps but do not like their cd players. This is based on hearing them in the US. I have never owned any of their products. After Stereophiles review of their cd player, i had high expectations but was quite disappointed.

Me neither, didnt like their CD player. Didnt hear their amp. The CDP especially was a huge let down after Stereophile raved about it so much.

I like their amps but do not like their cd players. This is based on hearing them in the US. I have never owned any of their products. After Stereophiles review of their cd player, i had high expectations but was quite disappointed.

Their super hyped CD players sounded very very digital to my ears. I'm really not sure why that is the case. Never managed to listen to their other electronics.

My enquiry was to find out 'users' of Ayre products, not opinions and reviews, please.
Thank you.
> murali

Having raised the subject of Stereophile reviews, here is what I find in their latest 500 recommended components:
The Ayre C-5xe player is rated in A+ category (I own the same) along with Classe CDP-202, Krell Evolution 505, Muse Polyhymnia and Sony SCD-XA9000ES. Please note the name 'Sony' in the A+ category, supposed to cost US$ 3,000. How many of us are aware that despite being regarded as a mass market product company, Sony comes out with some outstanding digital sources, superb performers and great value for money products? Unfortunately, they do not market these real high-end products in India and try to stuff the cheaper mass market products down our throats. In USA, Europe and Japan, there is a cult following for Sony's high-end products. Why not in India?
The same Stereophile includes cheaper (< $1,000) and excellent performers like Marantz SA-8001, CA 740C, Music Hall CD25.2, Onkyo DX-7555, Oppo DV-980H/983H, Pioneer DV-58AV, and even Sony Playstation I ($25).

> murali

Having raised the subject of Stereophile reviews, here is what I find in their latest 500 recommended components:
The Ayre C-5xe player is rated in A+ category (I own the same) along with Classe CDP-202, Krell Evolution 505, Muse Polyhymnia and Sony SCD-XA9000ES. Please note the name 'Sony' in the A+ category, supposed to cost US$ 3,000. How many of us are aware that despite being regarded as a mass market product company, Sony comes out with some outstanding digital sources, superb performers and great value for money products? Unfortunately, they do not market these real high-end products in India and try to stuff the cheaper mass market products down our throats. In USA, Europe and Japan, there is a cult following for Sony's high-end products. Why not in India?
The same Stereophile includes cheaper (< $1,000) and excellent performers like Marantz SA-8001, CA 740C, Music Hall CD25.2, Onkyo DX-7555, Oppo DV-980H/983H, Pioneer DV-58AV, and even Sony Playstation I ($25).

> murali

I always liked sony sources. I have owned some 3-head cassette decks and one cd player in the past.

stereophile is quirky. Musical Fidelity Always has its products in the A list ! a the same time they also put in the small brands as well. I think Charles Hansen is also quite favoured along with Michael Mickelsen

stereophile is quirky. Musical Fidelity Always has its products in the A list ! a the same time they also put in the small brands as well. I think Charles Hansen is also quite favoured along with Michael Mickelsen

Well, not exactly. You visit audioasylum.com forum where you find Charles Hansen, John Atkinson, Ray Kimber and several others participate. Under 'Critics', search for 'Stereophile and Ayre' which will give you several postings both by Stereophile and Ayre. Once you read them, you will realise that the relationship is strictly professional and not advertisement oriented. My own personal interaction with Mr. Hansen and others in Ayre convince me that they are out and out professional and totally involved in quality and performance of their products. There are several others who vouch for it. Musical Fidelity products are generally well reviewed and put in high esteem not only by Stereophile but by most of the other magazines as well. However, personally I have not been that impressed by MF products. For instance, when I selected my first serious source (Arcam CD-192), it was after listening to MF's X-Ray v3 and several British and European makes in that price range like Linn Genki, Cyrus CD-8, Primare etc etc. You will find that Arcam is a brand held with a lot of respect by US listeners and reviewers except for Stereophile and some others.
Just my personal beliefs and experiences, nothing more.
Thanks.
> murali

My assessment of the Ayre cd player was in relation to what i own. It is just not in the same playing field as the Esoteric transport/dac combo. Its ok when you compare it to mid level players. Based on their A+ rating my expectations were high.

Actually it was quite stupid of me to expect the Ayre to sound as good as Esoteric. They are not in the same price range.

Last edited:
The Sony got its A+ Stereophile rating because
1 SACD playback quality was exceptional
2 Best available and most flexible multi-channel adjustment capabilities
3 iLink

Its cd playback is nothing much to write home about.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back