Back to tubes

So over the past few weeks I did a bit of rejigging of my system, because I sold my nuprime sta9 monoblocs and I needed an amp. in the 2nd system. 1st thing I did on intuition was connect my Ascendo C8R to the Lyric Ti100 via the 4 ohm outputs on the Lyric (Since I got the Lyric I did not get enough time in experimenting it as an integrated to my Ascendos). This made a significant difference and I was now able to enjoy the single ended goodness of the Lyric with my Ascendo's. Beautiful, lush midrange, see through transparency and surprisingly I was getting better bass extension with the 18 watt Lyric compared to the 400 watt Kraft 250 (in 4 ohms). Anyways I moved the Kraft 250 to my 2nd system and there the kraft just thrived driving the lower sensitivity ATC SM19v2. This speaker is just amazing provided you can give it good, clean power. I also connected my Chord Hugo TT dac directly to the Kraft 250 and the resulting synergy was so good that I have finally started exploring the capability of the ATC with long 2-3 hour listening sessions, when I can find the time. I have a new amp. and a new preamp arriving in a few weeks, will update when those components arrive.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I sold my Nuprime sta9 amplifiers recently. I was thinking about an upgrade, so I got in touch with my dealer in California. He recommended that if I liked the sta9 I should definitely consider the ST10M or the ST10. Since the ST10M is double the cost (monoblocks), I decided to go with the ST10 first. So for the past few days I am listening to the ST10 in my primary setup along with the DAC10. This amp. is so much more refined than the STA9. Also there is significantly greater resolution and details coming across. Since the amp. is just breaking in - 4-5 hours at most, I think the sound will get even better. It is really amazing what these new generation of switching amps. are capable of with sound quality. I have amplifiers in many higher price categories but at just $1600 the ST10 is undoubtedly a true giant killer.
Cheers,
Sidnuprime1.jpgnuprime2.jpg

So I have been on the search for a perfect preamp. for my Symphonic line Kraft 250 amplifier. I have been through some big names, most recently the Lamm LL2.1 deluxe. Each pre had a different strength. Most recently however I got a Lyric Ti100 integrated amp. with the optional pre out and it was sounding very good indeed, easily at par with the Lamm. The only issue with any preamp. paired with the Karft was 1) Gain - the kraft prefers really low gain and 2) Low output impedance say below 100 ohms. I was able to provide the 2nd - but the 1) was always a challenge. Recently I exchanged a few mails with Music First Audio's Jonathan Billington to try out his highly regarded passive pre-amplifiers. He suggested a classic v2 so I got one recently. Have been listening to it for the past week. I am thoroughly impressed. The transparency and lack of noise from the passive is so addictive. And the build quality is simply superb.
Cheers,
Sidmfa1.jpg

Thanks Prem and JayaRaa. Actually I have used passives before but the MFA pre-amps are in another league entirely imo. They totally disappear leaving absolutely no trace of their presence. And with all the high gain DAC's with volume controls(which are meant to be used direct to amps. but don't always sound good enough) this is perhaps the best solution I have heard.
Cheers,
Sid

Agreed. The Music First is absolutely top stuff. Have heard it once. Was very impressed. With my modded Lyrita amp, I had used the much much cheaper Dave Slagle autoformer vol control as a passive

He markets that as EMIA passive pre. Very decent stuff

Aware that MFA is another league, but I went the other way Prem. You remember the DIY passive that I had - replaced it with my Elekit, and the sound had more oomph and pizzaz. I didn't feel that the transparency declined so much. On balance, preferred the tube pre.

I also noticed that I generally preferred integrated amps with an active pre section (as opposed to volume pot and power amp).

Vivek_r, I think it all depends on the gain structure as well as system synergy. Generally in my experience, an active pre adds to the flesh and blood feel and improves macro dynamics. Whereas a passive pre brings out more transparency and micro dynamics.

Yes I agree. The strong suit of the MFA is the see through transparency of the stage. None of the stand alone tube preamps. I have had so far from Conrad Johnson 17ls2, ARC LS16, Lamm LL2.1 deluxe etc. could match this.
Cheers,
Sid

I once heard this in a friends system. I think it is a same model as what you have. With a violin concerto, what struck me was that the amount of processing your brain needs to do reduced considerably with the MFA. The music just flows through and into you like what happens at a live venue.

Square wave

A cheaper way to do that would be to have a nice single malt while listening to music.

Njoi music and float away :)

Regards

I got an aurender N100H and have listened to it for a few hours. Compared to the sotm200 this is sounding much better. It is smoother, midrange is more lush and overall it sounds more analog than the sotm. More importantly it lets me clean up my shelf of all the associated paraphernalia required to make the stom200 sound good like the linear psu, external usb hub etc.
Cheers,
Sid
aurender1.jpg

Congrats Sid! Have heard a lot of good things on Aurender.
Will be following your listening impressions closely!

Regards.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back