Back to tubes

You have a great setup Sidvee with wires neatly laid out. The Luxman looks great. What is the capacity of the Adya stabiliser ?
Thanks Nitin, I have 3 servos:
3kva - main system - Vertex,
2kva - secondary system in bedroom - Adya - think this is the one you are referring to.
1kva - 3rd system in living room - Adya.
Also reason for laying out cables neatly is more functional than aesthetics. I have noticed that whenever wires are bunched up together, especially power and signal cables there is some background hash/noise introduced into the system. It is always better to reduce lengths and separate power and signal cables with cable risers etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Nitin, I have 3 servos:
3kva - main system - Vertex,
2kva - secondary system in bedroom - Adya - think this is the one you are referring to.
1kva - 3rd system in living room - Adya.
Also reason for laying out cables neatly is more functional than aesthetics. I have noticed that whenever wires are bunched up together, especially power and signal cables there is some background hash/noise introduced into the system. It is always better to reduce lengths and separate power and signal cables with cable risers etc.
Cheers,
Sid
Rocking setups!!.
Interested in knowing what power cables and interconnects you are using, if you don't mind.

Rocking setups!!.
Interested in knowing what power cables and interconnects you are using, if you don't mind.
In my main system:
For power I am using:
Shunyata venom digital for the Aurender
Shunayata venom High Current x 2 for the Bricasti and Backert
Audio Art Power 1 se x 2 for the Symphonic line kraft
Interconnects:
Acoustic revive RCA-1
Speaker cables:
Acoustic revive SPC-PA
I also have kimber select 1011 and 3033 set, but with Wilson audio Sabrina's, I prefer the acoustic revive.
In my second system I use "Einstein the Shield" Power cords x 4
and FM Joushua's Interconnects with Kimber 12 tc speaker cables.

Cheers,
Sid

Got a Luxman CL-38uc tube preamp to pair with the M700u in my 2nd system. The Luxman synergy is sounding excellent indeed. The CL-38uc is a very accomplished pre. and a full featured one at that. Now both my systems feature tubed preamps-with SS amps.
Another excellent transaction with Anil of Hifimart.
Cheers,
Sid

luxman3.jpgluxman1.jpg

Last edited:
I moved the CL-38uc to my main system today, driving the Symphonic Line Kraft 250. It is sounding amazing. It is not easy to pair a tube pre-amp with this amp, due to low output impedance requirements - but the synergy being exhibited is awesome. I always liked Luxman products, but now I am thoroughly impressed - these are world class!
Cheers,
Sid

Here's the CL-38uc in the big rig! I have had many marquee pre-amps in this room/setup, but in terms of flexibility that Lux is the best, especially the tone control option. I am able to dial in bass frequencies accurately now, for which no amount of placement experimentation helped. Yes I know tone controls are a huge no-no for pursits, but my personal take is that specifically in bass frequencies there are negligible downsides to using this and all upsides.
Cheers,
Sid
luxpre1.jpgluxpre2.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful looking piece of gear Sid! Luxman has really nailed the looks.
Great to see you mixing all these gear options that you have.

Happy listening!

What a beautiful looking piece of gear Sid! Luxman has really nailed the looks.
Great to see you mixing all these gear options that you have.

Happy listening!

Working from home Nikhil due to lockdown, so lot of time on my hands both for listening and experimenting. Past 3 days I have been listening to both my systems for at-least 4-5 hours/day.:D
Only major issue, running out of cold beers and others in my stock.
Cheers,
Sid

As another member of the tube pre - SS power group, I’d like to hear your impressions of the hybrid combo. Not the specific ones you have, but overall what significant differences you find between the hybrid and pure SS one one hand and pure tube on the other?
For me, a decision on all tube/all ss or hybrid combo mostly depends on the speaker. In my limited experience, I have found that speakers that tend to be neutral to revealing benefit from tubes in the chain, and the ones that are warmish/less revealing are fine with all SS (please note that when I say neutral, revealing or warm it is based upon my personal preference based upon listening and definitely not on reviews or measurements etc). Of-course there will be exceptions, but that is a general trend I have perceived. Consequently as my speakers change, I plan an amplification scheme around its characteristic. Currently the speakers in both of my systems - Wilson Audio & ATC - are in the neutral/revealing camp and are benefiting well from this type of combo. Other option with these type of speakers is to go all tube including amplification, but unfortunately both my speakers are difficult loads requiring high current amplification into low impedances to take absolute control of the speaker. In the past I have used all tube or all solid state combinations and/or tube/solid state integrated amps.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
For me, a decision on all tube/all ss or hybrid combo mostly depends on the speaker. In my limited experience, I have found that speakers that tend to be neutral to revealing benefit from tubes in the chain, and the ones that are warmish/less revealing are fine with all SS (please note that when I say neutral, revealing or warm it is based upon my personal preference based upon listening and definitely not on reviews or measurements etc). Of-course there will be exceptions, but that is a general trend I have perceived. Consequently as my speakers change, I plan an amplification scheme around its characteristic. Currently the speakers in both of my systems - Wilson Audio & ATC - are in the neutral/revealing camp and are benefiting well from this type of combo. Other option with these type of speakers is to go all tube including amplification, but unfortunately both my speakers are difficult loads requiring high current amplification into low impedances to take absolute control of the speaker. In the past I have used all tube or all solid state combinations and/or tube/solid state integrated amps.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks. So it seems you are breaking the decision down to two:
1. Tube or SS pre depending on whether the speakers are revealing or warm (respectively)
2. Tube or SS power depending on the sensitivity of the speakers.

Thanks. So it seems you are breaking the decision down to two:
1. Tube or SS pre depending on whether the speakers are revealing or warm (respectively)
2. Tube or SS power depending on the sensitivity of the speakers.
Yes that is correct Sachin. And though that is the basic consideration I also take into account the source which plays a part. In my case the source is computer based running into a DAC, so the DAC sound characteristics also play a part. If I have a tube DAC, then I try to avoid a tube pre., and vice versa. To a lesser extent, I also consider cable characteristics, mainly the material eg. copper, silver or hybrids. Ultimately the goal is to have a system that can do these:
1. Reveal all the details on the recording, especially the micro ones.
2. Have good tonal colours while doing so without sounding too bleached or clinical.
3. And perform all the audiophile traits such as imaging, soundstaging satisfactorily with good extension at both ends.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Recently I needed a cheap and cheerful DAC for a casual listening system in my living room consisting of a PC with Jriver, Cambridge audio int amp and Paradigm studio 20 v3 speakers. Since I hardly do any serious listening here I wanted something decent sounding, so when another FM advertised a topping d10 I did a bit of research and was surprised by the measurement of this inexpensive unit. So I bought it and was quite pleased with its performance. It sounded very nice, was built superbly and imo easily matched my meridian explorer/audioquest dragonfly units that I owned in the past. I was intrigued enough with this unit that I wanted to see what other options they offered. I wanted to get a D70 as I always liked AKM chip signature over ESS (felt they are a bit warmer), but I settled on a d50s again after reading glowing reports on its measurements https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/.
When I opened the box I was taken aback at the small size. This thing is smaller than the D10. I wasn't totally convinced that it could better the D10, but hooked it up directly to my Luxman m-700u amp. driving ATC SCM19v2 speakers. Now one in their right mind will do this considering that the amp. and the speakers cost many, many multiples of this little DAC. Anyways I heard this for about 2 hours last evening and what I must say that it is a very decent sounding unit not only as a DAC but also as a preamp. It had good soundstage, good frequency extension at both ends, great detail retrieval, however it also sounds a bit thin with a hint of brightness. Is it better than the D10, perhaps - it is hard to tell, but with the onboard volume control it definitely has more utility. Regardless if you are on the hunt for decent DAC at a low cost (I paid $270 delivered to my cousin in California) then do consider this. I will be considering the new D90 down the road. Overall topping certainly is great VFM.
Also consider pairing this with either tubes or warm sounding electronics, imo that will balance the slightly cooler presentation.
Cheers,
Sid

View attachment 41784
I recently replaced the topping d50s with a preowned Metrum octave mk1 DAC. I find the Metrum to be much more superior sounding, especially in the mid-range, the thinness I experienced through the topping is totally eliminated - though it is limited to 24/192.
Cheers,
Sid
octave.jpg

Last edited:
I recently replaced the topping d50s with a preowned Metrum octave mk1 DAC. I find the Metrum to be much more superior sounding, especially in the mid-range, the thinness I experienced through the topping is totally eliminated - though it is limited to 24/192.
Cheers,
Sid
View attachment 45685
Nice one Sid. I am familiar with the metrum sound. I have the mk2 version of the octave and I like it.

Nice one Sid. I am familiar with the metrum sound. I have the mk2 version of the octave and I like it.
Thanks Himadri, actually after listening to the mk1, I wanted to upgrade to a higher model within the metrum range, but unfortunately first of all they are not available in India any more and secondly I heard that even internationally they may be shutting down.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Himadri, actually after listening to the mk1, I wanted to upgrade to a higher model within the metrum range, but unfortunately first of all they are not available in India any more and secondly I heard that even internationally they may be shutting down.
Cheers,
Sid
Metrum shutting down ? That is sad news. Covid victim ?

Cheers,
Sid
Sadly it is true. It seems Cees Ruttenberg ,the man behind metrum is associated with this
This might have the same sound signature as metrum.

@sidvee Would love to hear more about the Luxman CL38uC. How do you find it? Have you compared it to your previous preamp Rhumba?

I have been eyeing this preamp for sometime now.

@sidvee Would love to hear more about the Luxman CL38uC. How do you find it? Have you compared it to your previous preamp Rhumba?

I have been eyeing this preamp for sometime now.
I still have the Backert. The Luxman has a more immediate and forward sound compared to the Backert Rhumba which is laid back. Is one better than the other? I guess it will depend on the speaker, associated components etc, for instance I am preferring the luxman with the wilson sabrinas. Secondly, the well implemented frequency controls - especially the bass setting in the Luxman give this pre. the edge over the Backert (and any other pre for that matter that does not have tone controls) in getting that nth degree control over midbass/low bass which can't be achieved just by speaker positioning and room treatment. Plus it has an excellent tubed phono- section, which I unfortunately do not use. Overall it is a superb full function preamplifier and though I have had many others in my system, I am preferring this the most.
Cheers,
Sid

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back