Bangalore HFV Meet?

When do we meet for HFV Blr -1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Folks
A quick update. I should be there from 3/3.15 pm onwards. As soon as you are finished with Lunch, please feel free to drop by. The sooner you are there the more time we will get :)

If there are any change in plans, I will post here tomorrow.

cheers
Sridhar

Thanks Santosh for adding my pres..I will keep it short,adding no theory for sure, after all normally sundays people r in sleepy mode :p...

The title I have revised to give more clarity ,

"DIY Interconnect Construction , steps and materials"

See you guys tomorrow at the venue...

Last edited:
@Venkat, Suri and Sudhir and anyone else travelling from outside Bangalore:

Have a safe trip. See you here tomorrow:)

FYI, spoke to Suri. He has reached Bangalore at ~20.00 hrs today.

Venkat will be reaching Bangalore at around 05.00 hrs tomorrow. I will be picking him up from the Rly Station.

See you all tomorrow.

FYI, spoke to Suri. He has reached Bangalore at ~20.00 hrs today.

Venkat will be reaching Bangalore at around 05.00 hrs tomorrow. I will be picking him up from the Rly Station.

See you all tomorrow.

OMG, I am gonna miss all this!
Hmm, atleast you made it Suri!
All hifiers, have a blast and do post pictures with name tags for all.

God fun meeting all of the audio folks today, young and old, both black haired and gray, babas and bandicoots. The meetings was well attended, enthu levels were high, and I trust those who came and attended left with their tails well up!

As the saying goes, behind every successful man there is a woman's unseen hand at work-in this case my wife deserves the credit. I think a meeting like this allows peopleto network and connect, and while I didnt have as much time as I might have liked to chat with Suri and Venkat, in the brief time that we chatted, we found we had things in common.

Antony will as official photographer,, no doubt, host the photos soon, while others will post their impressions. Since the meeting was the very first one, no serious auditioning was possible, perhaps that will happen sometime in the future.

Cheers

George

impressions can follow but I wanna thank Mrs. & Mr. George for being such excellent hosts...patient with all the hifi enthus monkeying around the house...:clapping::clapping::clapping:

This get together was indeed a good one, and as soulforged has mentioned, a BIG thanks to Mr. & Mrs George for their wonderful hospitality. It was nice to know new people, new stuffs....... The NAS setup of Mr. George was an interesting one. The information exchanged by Mr. Venkat, Kaushik, and the other audience was really helpful. And last but not the least thanks to sud98 to initiate the event.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

cheers.

Hi,

I am extremely thankful to our host Uncle George and Mrs. George for being a perfect host and they were kind enough to accommodate around 20 audiophiles to listen to their set-up, including the NAS, squeeze box etc.

We had a great day and had nice eyeball chat with audiophiles. Detailed posting follows

regards

Hi,

I am extremely thankful to our host Uncle George and Mrs. George for being a perfect host and they were kind enough to accommodate around 20 audiophiles to listen to their set-up, including the NAS, squeeze box etc.

We had a great day and had nice eyeball chat with audiophiles. Detailed posting follows

regards

Hi,

Glad that the meet went on well! Congrats on a successful meet! Eagerly awaiting the photos and videos!:clapping::clapping:

Cheers!

Hi Bangy Guys,

Good to see more hifian's attending than chennai meet... Trust every chapter will be more attractive and more informative to produce more upgraditis..

:clapping::clapping:

After reading the initial postings in this thread, I must confess that I went to Bangalore with a bit of trepidation in my heart.

I reached Bangalore at the unearthly hour of 0510. Santhosh got up even earlier to come and receive me at the station. Santhosh drove me to his house in his souped up Esteem. We kind of rested for a couple of minutes, and Santhosh was eager to show me his HT System. Beautifully built with all walls sound proofed and a Optoma 120 inch screen. Santhosh played a Blu-Ray copy of Transformers on his PS3 and projected through a Optoma HD20. This is the first time I am seeing a FullHD projection on a reasonably priced projector. The HD20 deserves all the praises it receives. The images were pristine and the motion were very smooth. Of course, as you go up the price ladder, one can say you will get better picture, but the price difference, I am sure, will be enormous for a marginal improvement. Santhosh's HT room has been well done. Even at very low volumes, I could hear and understand the dialogues very clearly, and for me that is a critical deciding factor. Santhosh is using a entry level Sony AVR, and he is fondly looking at processor/amplifier combination. With that in place, I am sure Santhosh will have a system to be envied.

Santhos's wife, Vandana, was the epitome of a hostess and made some lovely breakfast for us all. Since I knew lunch was going to be a question mark, I stuffed myself with some lovely idlis. Their lovely boy child, Tejas, and I got on famously till he started smiling a lot at his nurse, and that made me jealous. :)

Santhosh and I drove down to George's place with Suri following us on his brand new Honda Jazz that he had driven all the way from Cannanore. We eventually reached there even after Santhosh gamely getting lost and trying to show us half of Bangalore.

George has a brand new house built with three levels. He has used the staircase landing of each level as a computer base. Using a wireless 802.11N router, George has switched over to a completely digital music storage and distribution system. He uses a ReadyNAS Duo from Netgear as both central storage and server using wireless networking. Using a PC on one of his landing he rips all his CDs into FLAC files, though he has other formats files as well. The Squeezebox software is used to periodically scan the music files added and be up-to-date on the music available on the NAS.

On the ground floor, George has set up a stereo system using a tube amp and DIY speakers. The Squeezebox is connected to this system. George demonstrated how he can, using a simple remote, choose the artist/song/genre that he wants and play the music some 200 feet away from the source. I strongly feel this is the way to go. I wish I had carried some of my FLAC files that I could have used for a quick audition - but then I don't think I could done it as we were all more interested in talking away and the noise level was quite high. Even when George was demonstrating his system, HFViers were standing in groups and discussing away to glory.

George also has a Sony multi disc CD player connected to some Onkyo equipment and a second tube amp. I also saw some three or four pairs of DIY speakers around the house. George is setting up a HT in his basement and he has already purchased a Popcorn Hour NMT. He plans to include this in the network.

George and his wife Susan were both the perfect hosts allowing us to roam about their house and stuffing all hungry souls with samosas and other goodies.

At roughly 1430 or so, we all started dispersing to assemble again at ARN's place. Unfortunately since I had to catch a train, I headed out to the station. Suri insisted on driving me to the station and I am extremely obliged to him for the courtesy.

All in all a very pleasant get together of people with similar interests and passion. I am sure as we move forward, these meetings will become more focussed. HFV meetings are ones I am not going to miss.

Cheers

Last edited:
venkatcr;101994We eventually reached there even after Santhosh gamely getting lost and trying to show us half of Bangalore. Cheers[/QUOTE said:
after you took the trouble to come all the way here, how would he let you go without giving you a guided tour of namma bengalooru!!! :D :D :D

a great meet! took away a lot and also ended the day with a splitting headache that caused me to retire to bed early. too much riding in the sun and cold drinks mixing.

much thanks to george who i had heard much about as a diy guy and finally got the chance to meet. thanks to him for graciously offering his new house for the meet and no thanks for setting the bar really high for the next guy to surpass now :p

an amazing setup with convenience at his fingertips. he took us though how he could control the nas server on which his music resides. he adds music, ripping on a comp through exact audio copy (eac) and then a simple interface on his comp allows him to transfer the music to his nas server. the advantage of the nas is that in a wireless system your pc's id is not being transmitted so its not open to hackers since the ip of the nas is used. so your personal data on the pc is safe. the squeezebox was palm size almost! looked super cute too! :licklips: extremely handy for background listening and even critical listening if digital music is your thing cos the files are flac. really dont see a reason to use cd's anymore except to rip.

then came his amps and speakers. the mtm speakers with focal mids 4" i think? and the ribbon tweeter (the brand name eludes me right now). it was quite plain that the ribbon tweeter added magic to the sound, nice air, smooth. since everyone was talking away no real listening possible :)

the other system caught my attention more, the fostex diy speakers and the joplin push pull amp. never did get to listen completely since everyone was more interested in meeting each other so sketchy impression but definitely had that magic of single drivers. i really envy george for his ability and determination to make his own stuff.

and i've left the best for the last - his wife susan for putting up with us trampling all over that too in her new house and for those lovely barbequed mushrooms and zuchinnis. :licklips: :licklips: george please thank her once again for all the trouble she took.

i shall be following suit as and when money allows me to add the squeezbox to my system once i have my vinyl rips.

it was great meeting venkat from chennai. although we have agreed to disagree on his presentation that digital is better than analog :D

was also really lovely to finally meet suri who also came over the next morning for a short listen. hope you've reached safe suri!

yi yi yikes! kaushik's interconnects presentation was very useful too! sorry almost forgot!!! silver wire single strand interconnects i think venkat and suri are planning to make a pair or two and circulate...

also thanks to sridhar for demoing the ushers and the emerald physics and entertaining us with thoughtful bottles of water (much needed) and snacks. will be returning to listen to the vpi sometime.

Last edited:
First a very big thanks to George and his family for being wonderful host and also thankful to Venkatcr for his presentation on Digital music the way to future and Kaushik for his presentation on DIY interconects which was a good learning process. I had missed the chennai meet as i was in Blr but got the opportunity to be a part in Blr. Thanks once again to all and WISH A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Regards,

Guns

A big thanks to Mr & Mrs George. Wonderful!!!!
Happy to see other audiophiles!!!
Hope our prof photographer (Antony) gets the photos sometime this week for other members to see!!

VenkatCr: Thanks for the talk and knowledge sharing!
Kaushik: That's good to see the DIY stuff! Great work!

At the ARN:
Thanks to Sridhar. That was wonderful to experience the CS2, Ushers!!! (Wish to have one of those in my living room!!!) Wow!!! Big price and superub output!!! A demo worth it!! Sridhar - again as the forum members mentioned, is a gentleman. Having enough patience to play all the tracks requested from the number of CD's (I really lost count). Not to leave alone the refreshments that we had in the middle of the auditions!!!
Thanks once again Sridhar!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back