Basic question on Amplifiers - Can one use an AVR and a Stereo amp together?

If you like one particular preamp but not having HT bypass you can use an external RCA switcher.

The whole point was to reduce the no of devices by using the convenience of AVR to connect to a wide range of inputs and at the same time use a stereo amp for better music output (rather than using the AVR for music)

Idk about the OP but this is getting more confusing
@Love4sound @SEANDSILVA let's not get into verbal spats my sirs :D

Can we summarize it like
For Music..,
AVR - - > Pre outs - - > Stereo amp with tone controls and without digital inputs (to avoid signal processing twice?)
Or

AVR - - > Pre outs - - > Stereo amp without tone controls (or volume control?)

P. S Just checked that the Marantz PM 5005 has Source Direct function, which bypasses tone control and loudness control

Last edited:
Can you please shed some light on this?
Thank you.
I like your this particular statement.
If you are serious about music, then think "independently music". I mean forget that you have an AVR. Then only you will get your answer quickly, otherwise you know you have to study many chapters of Physics.

P. S Just checked that the Marantz PM 5005 has Source Direct function, which bypasses tone control and loudness control

This is not the same as HT Bypass which by passes the integrated amps pre-amplifier. Source direct simply bypasses tone control and loudness control.

Connecting one amp to another can be tricky to a newbie. Best to be clear on terms used. Although stereo amp means power amp, It is best to call it a power amp to remove all doubt in the mind of a newbie. If a newbie tries to connect an integrated amp without a HT Bypass to a HT Receiver, it could end up either damaging the amps or distorting the sound.

Attempts above by members to clarify this is appreciated.

Connecting one amp to another can be tricky to a newbie. Best to be clear on terms used. Although stereo amp means power amp, It is best to call it a power amp to remove all doubt in the mind of a newbie. If a newbie tries to connect an integrated amp without a HT Bypass to a HT Receiver, it could end up either damaging the amps or distorting the sound.
As we understand, most entry level AVRs (below 50k) don't have HT bypass. Yet they have preouts on the back.

Whats the use of these preouts then? If not to connect a power amp/stereo amp?

As we understand, most entry level AVRs (below 50k) don't have HT bypass. Yet they have preouts on the back.

to connect the avr to a stereo (2ch) power amp or active sub woofer

For integrating HT & Stereo (i.e use same set of speakers for Stereo & HT Front channels), we need below requirements to be met.

1. AVR should have Pre-out for front channels.
2. Stereo Preamp or Stereo Integrated Amp should have HT Bypass option.
3. If points 1 & 2 are true, then we can connect AVR front channel pre-outs to Stereo Preamp or integrated Amp's HT Bypass input.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

For integrating HT & Stereo (i.e use same set of speakers for Stereo & HT Front channels), we need below requirements to be met.

1. AVR should have Pre-out for front channels.
2. Stereo Preamp or Stereo Integrated Amp should have HT Bypass option.
3. If points 1 & 2 are true, then we can connect AVR front channel pre-outs to Stereo Preamp or integrated Amp's HT Bypass input.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.
Thanks. Got it

All pre-outs will be labelled. Pre-outs for subs will be labelled as subwoofer 1&2 if supports dual and some entry level avr’s will have for front. So it’s very easy to understand their use. So the entry level avrs will have pre-outs only for subwoofers and few models will have for LR fronts

This is not the same as HT Bypass which by passes the integrated amps pre-amplifier. Source direct simply bypasses tone control and loudness control.

Attempts above by members to clarify this is appreciated.
I am a newbie as well when it comes to the world of 2 channel music set up and I have no confusion with differentiating between a stereo amp and an integrated amp. I don’t think it’s some rocket science to be confused. It’s just a matter of preference on how you want to call it. Stereo amp , power amp well both are correct

Now, I have a basic question w.r.t amplifiers:

There are a lot of terms like pre-amp, power-amp, stereo amp etc. I don't think I understand these very much.

What component should I look to, to significantly improve the music quality of my system, while still using my Denon AVR for movies?
(I know that if the AVR had pre-outs, things would've been easier. However, is that the only way?)

Thank you.

Preamp: A component that has a Volume control, tone controls, but NO Amplifier. This needs to be connected to an amplifier. This component plays an important role in defining the sound signature.

Poweramp: A component that has only the amplifier that drives the speakers. It does not have a Volume control or any other control. A preamp drives the
Poweramp. Poweramp drives the speakers.

Stereo Integrated Amplifier: A single component that has volume control, tone controls and the amplifier to drive the speakers. Integrated as it has both preamplifier and power amplifier in a single unit. These are the common stereo amplifier we come across.

Now coming to your question, a receiver has a lot of processing going on in it to say it in simple terms, which affects the Sound. A stereo amplifier has no such processing, hence can sound a lot more free flowing and open compared to a ht receiver. Some like it, some don't.

Next, to improve your sound quality, you need to tell us which denon receiver do you have? Does it have pre out? Pure direct mode + Pre out to a stereo amp / poweramp might improve quality. If you really want to improve get a separate Stereo amplifier + Dac + speakers.

MaSh

The whole point was to reduce the no of devices by using the convenience of AVR to connect to a wide range of inputs and at the same time use a stereo amp for better music output (rather than using the AVR for music)

Idk about the OP but this is getting more confusing
@Love4sound @SEANDSILVA let's not get into verbal spats my sirs :D

Can we summarize it like
For Music..,
AVR - - > Pre outs - - > Stereo amp with tone controls and without digital inputs (to avoid signal processing twice?)
Or

AVR - - > Pre outs - - > Stereo amp without tone controls (or volume control?)

I guess we are going around in circles. That was the doubt of OP

1) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to the main-in/pre-in of a stand-alone power amp > the avr / pre-amp volume / tone control will regulate the pre-out signal. OK

2) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to the main-in/pre-in of an integrated amp ( i.e. pre + power in one unit) by removing the external connecting jumper between the integrated amp's own internal pre-amp and power amp sections > the avr / pre-amp volume / tone control will regulate the pre-out signal level and hence bypass the integrated amp's volume and tone controls as the integrated amp is now functioning purely as a power amp. OK

3) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to another pre-amp which has a dedicated ht bypass input > the signal essentially bypasses the volume / tone controls of the second pre-amp and is passed through directly to the power amp of a pre-power seperates 2ch stereo setup. OK

4) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to another pre-amp which does not have a dedicated ht bypass input but only line-level inputs then you are asking for trouble as the pre-out signal from the 1st pre-amp / avr will load the line input of the 2nd pre-amp which basically means there'll be two volume / tone controls in use which is dangerous and will most certainly result in distortion / clipping and ultimately speaker destruction! This option is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED

for example have a look at the atoll pr100se pre-amp front and back panel pics showing a dedicated ht-bypass input which allows this pre-amp to be a part of a multi-ch avr system..hope this helps ;)

Atoll-PR100se-black.jpg

PR-SE-ARRIERE.jpg

Last edited:

AVRs don't have a HT bypass. Some of them have pre-outs. Some Integrated amplifiers have a HT Bypass. Others have given detailed explanations, so I won't :)

1) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to the main-in/pre-in of a stand-alone power amp > the avr / pre-amp volume / tone control will regulate the pre-out signal. OK

2) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to the main-in/pre-in of an integrated amp ( i.e. pre + power in one unit) by removing the external connecting jumper between the integrated amp's own internal pre-amp and power amp sections > the avr / pre-amp volume / tone control will regulate the pre-out signal level and hence bypass the integrated amp's volume and tone controls as the integrated amp is now functioning purely as a power amp. OK

3) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to another pre-amp which has a dedicated ht bypass input > the signal essentially bypasses the volume / tone controls of the second pre-amp and is passed through directly to the power amp of a pre-power seperates 2ch stereo setup. OK

4) if you connect the pre-out of a pre-amp / avr to another pre-amp which does not have a dedicated ht bypass input but only line-level inputs then you are asking for trouble as the pre-out signal from the 1st pre-amp / avr will load the line input of the 2nd pre-amp which basically means there'll be two volume / tone controls in use which is dangerous and will most certainly result in distortion / clipping and ultimately speaker destruction! This option is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED

for example have a look at the atoll pr100se pre-amp front and back panel pics showing a dedicated ht-bypass input which allows this pre-amp to be a part of a multi-ch avr system..hope this helps ;)

View attachment 47126

View attachment 47127
My solution would be (3). Thanks for the clear explanation and those screenshots.

And, the Freya+ seems to be an acclaimed tube preamp. But it has something called a passive preamp mode. Not sure if this is a bypass. I wouldn’t want to be using two volume controls at any point of time.
On passive preamp:
The Freya+

And, the Freya+ seems to be an acclaimed tube preamp. But it has something called a passive preamp mode. Not sure if this is a bypass. I wouldn’t want to be using two volume controls at any point of time.
On passive preamp:
The Freya+

Excerpts:
"Home Theater Integration, $0. Okay, all you "home theater bypass" guys. All of our preamps offer true home theater bypass. Just plug in your processor's front channels to any input, select Passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. Presto! 1:1 home theater bypass, with only a relay in the signal path. "

Whoa! So many replies. Thank you very much for pitching in and trying to comprehensively explain. Much appreciated.
I will have to take sometime to process what is written here. Still confused with the myriad of terms used. Will go through each of the thread and get back.

During my search, I've found the following -- which seems to solve the issue of using 2 amps with 1 set of speakers.

From the reviews, I could make out that folks have been using this to connect their AVR and Stereo amp using the same speakers.
Would anyone have any experience with a device like the above?

Whi
Hello all,
I'm new to all the world of Hi-Fi. Thanks to many FMs' help, I got good info on how to setup a 5.1.

Now, I have a basic question w.r.t amplifiers:
I have a Denon AV Receiver -- works amazing for movies. Not so great for music.
How do I improve the quality of music given my setup?
There are a lot of terms like pre-amp, power-amp, stereo amp etc. I don't think I understand these very much.

What component should I look to, to significantly improve the music quality of my system, while still using my Denon AVR for movies?
(I know that if the AVR had pre-outs, things would've been easier. However, is that the only way?)

Thank you.
What are you looking for in music that is lacking in the receiver? Have you looked at other components in the chain - speakers for example, and a sub woofer, or the audio files you are steaming to the receiver? In my opinion, try changing the speaker placement before taking more drastic steps.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back