BDP S485 - All regions Blu Ray player

Am currently using the Sony S485 also as a CD player to feed my newly acquired marantz pm6004 amp and KEF Q300 bookshelf speakers and the sound is excellent , equalling and sometimes surpassing the dedicated Denon CD player that I auditioned with the KEFs at Profx......

Looks like this is available at chennai grey market for 9500, can negotiate furthur. The official 3D bluray player is 14k in sony india website. So its a good bargain. Also Bluray discs are now started coming at 180Rs 25 GB seen some of the titles. But yet to see their quality.

I am a member of the Chanel 9 library mentioned above. I find their blu ray collection very outdated..and very less also....they have mostly some junk horror movies.....

Am currently using the Sony S485 also as a CD player to feed my newly acquired marantz pm6004 amp and KEF Q300 bookshelf speakers and the sound is excellent , equalling and sometimes surpassing the dedicated Denon CD player that I auditioned with the KEFs at Profx......
I know Channel 9 that they sell at the highest price possible. Went for BR rental and almost fainted when they quoted their terms!

You paid very high for a without bill BDP designated for US region. These products sell cheap in US because there is usually no sales tax, etc.

i feel 75 bucks for a 1400Rs BD is fine.....yes you need to put down a deposit of 1500....and their collection sucks big time...

I know Channel 9 that they sell at the highest price possible. Went for BR rental and almost fainted when they quoted their terms!

You paid very high for a without bill BDP designated for US region. These products sell cheap in US because there is usually no sales tax, etc.

At the time I bought it, the grey mkt price was lesser by about 1k; I was promised that a knowledgeable person would look into any fault in the BDP should it happen! It is working like a charm fortunately ( touch wood :D). I agree the prices are lower now.....
I must say that the BD collection there ( as in many BD libraries) is nothing to write home about!
Cheers

Canchi,

Thanks a lot for sharing the details! This post is very helpful! I was trying to buy a BDP as well and I had kind of similar requirements. One major thing that your post clarified for me is that even though the BDP may be a Region A player, if the Blu Ray Disc is "Region ABC or Indian disc" then it will play that Indian Blu Ray Disc.

Does it play VCDs? I have a quite a few VCDs of Gujarati plays and some old Hindi movies that I want my new BDP to play as I don't have another player just for the VCDs (and attaching through computer is too messy).

The sherwood bdp 5004 that I'm using is a region free player and it can play vcds also. But it has no network provision to play youtube or other flash contents.

Just an update, this player does NOT play Region B discs. Learnt this the hard way; was gifted a Blu ray disc Hugo 3D brought from the UK and region B, it did not play on the BDP :sad:
Planning to sell or exchange the disc now......

Naren,
Bought it at Channel 9 in Jayanagar V Blk. Here is part of the back of the player, apologies for the poor quality of the pic.....

View attachment 6336

Just an update, this player does NOT play Region B discs. Learnt this the hard way; was gifted a Blu ray disc Hugo 3D brought from the UK and region B, it did not play on the BDP :sad:
Planning to sell or exchange the disc now......

This is exactly what I said in my earlier post. Look at the picture you posted. The back plate of the BDP shows "3" in a circle (meaning it is locked to DVD Region 3) and "A" in a hexagon (meaning it is locked for Region A BDs).

Sony was the chief propagator of blu-ray as the HD format. It also propagated the region coding scheme along with the format. Hence no Sony players are ever sold region free. And Sony BDPs are therefore the hardest to modify. The only way to make Sony players region free is via a hardware chip mod as those manufactured by ICOS.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back