Best 42" in budget

What do you do to keep it mint and no IR issues ?

You've the ST50 50" and it's uber-awesome.

Last edited:
I just came from the store and the Panasonic P42XT50D is just awesome. It's much better compared to Panasonic or Samsung LEDs which are 20-25K costlier than the plasma. The response time and PQ are great at least for that price.

One store offered me 42XT50D for 46K + 4 Pana 3D glasses and they all come with 1+2 years warranty. I am thinking of giving them my 21" Sony CRT for 1.5K. So what do you think guys ? Should I go for it or I might get cheaper ? Pana brandshop offered 48K with 1 3D glass.

as I am still hunting for TV and waiting for availability of 2013 line up in my area, i also once checked 42xt50. I had compared it to samsung 490 and to my eyes, xt50 is better. Infibeam is selling xt50 @ 42k. I am sure you will get it at lesser price in other showrooms than pana brand shops. Here at Odisha, Pana brand shop is not going down from 65k for a 42Ut50 that too a demo piece.

I just came from the store and the Panasonic P42XT50D is just awesome. It's much better compared to Panasonic or Samsung LEDs which are 20-25K costlier than the plasma. The response time and PQ are great at least for that price.

One store offered me 42XT50D for 46K + 4 Pana 3D glasses and they all come with 1+2 years warranty. I am thinking of giving them my 21" Sony CRT for 1.5K. So what do you think guys ? Should I go for it or I might get cheaper ? Pana brandshop offered 48K with 1 3D glass.
Which 21" Sony CRT? If that is a trinitron, don't let it go. You cannot get better picture. If it is WEGA or later, then it is OK.

The Panasonic XT50 is a very good TV and for watching pure TV/DTH HD, it compares well with the much better UT50 and even ST50. It is 720p TV but at a distance of 8 feet or more, you cannot make out any difference. I compared ST50, UT50 and XT50 for over 1 hour each at two different showrooms.

Yeah, it's a Trinitron 21" and it has some problems although fixable. I would not let it go but I've a shortage of spaces. I thought of replacing the CRT with my 32" LCD and get the 42" for me.

as I am still hunting for TV and waiting for availability of 2013 line up in my area, i also once checked 42xt50. I had compared it to samsung 490 and to my eyes, xt50 is better. Infibeam is selling xt50 @ 42k. I am sure you will get it at lesser price in other showrooms than pana brand shops. Here at Odisha, Pana brand shop is not going down from 65k for a 42Ut50 that too a demo piece.
The Panasonic 3D glasses are fairly expensive - around 3500 each pair. If anubisX is getting 4 pairs then that makes a lot of difference. Usually all active 3D TVs are sold with just 2 pairs and 2 pairs are a tad less for a family.

But great care must be taken to check that the set sold is not a display piece (it is very easy to check usage hours on Panasonic plasma).

The Pana brandroom is quoting a little high for the UT50. But prices across states vary because of local taxes, etc. In Pune, when I was looking last year, the showroom guy refused to budge below 85K for 50UT50. But that 42UT50 is not worth purchasing because it is a demo piece.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a demo piece. The sales person told me that they stocked a lot of that model and they're not selling as they anticipated. Most people here are into LED. Thus, 4 pairs of glassed instead of 1.

Although, I would definitely check the usage hours. How to do that ? :p

hi,

How does Pana 42XT50D 42 inch compare with Samsung F4900? I dont have the opportunity to demo at the moment side by side or even within the same mall.

thanks

I don't think it's a demo piece. The sales person told me that they stocked a lot of that model and they're not selling as they anticipated. Most people here are into LED. Thus, 4 pairs of glassed instead of 1.

Although, I would definitely check the usage hours. How to do that ? :p
There is an ST30 thread in this section that explains in detail with picture on how to check usage hours. But it mention once again:
  • Go close to the TV alongwith the remote.
  • On the RHS of TV panel, there are some buttons behind. Press the <<VOL ->> button and keep it pressed.
  • While the <<VOL->> button is pressed, press and release <<INFO>> button on the remote 3 times in succession
  • The TV panel will display "Entering Service Menu" and then display the service menu
  • Press the <<2>> button on remote two times and then press OK
  • The screen will now display SRV Tool. It will display a table.
  • Using the cursor key on the remote (<<DOWN>> button), go to the row that says "PICT 00:00:00.00"
  • Using the <<RIGHT>> key go the blank cell next to it
  • Press and hold the <<MUTE>> button (for 3-4 seconds or more) till the cell displays some values of time and count. They will be displayed as hh:mm:ss nnnn where
    • hh:mm:ss is the amount of time the panel was used in hours, mins, secs
    • the nnnn value is the number of times the TV was switched on.

Warning: Do not touch the <<VOL+>> and <<VOL->> buttons on the TV side panel.

There is no exit from the service menu. The only option is to switch the TV off from the mains or the <<OFF>> button on the side panel.

hi,

How does Pana 42XT50D 42 inch compare with Samsung F4900? I dont have the opportunity to demo at the moment side by side or even within the same mall.

thanks

Go for the Panasonic, you won't regret. Samsung 42F4900 is offered to me for 40K with no 3D glasses and 1-year warranty. It's good too but Panasonic is better side by side. Now, they might've set the TVs like that.

Last edited:
There is an ST30 thread in this section that explains in detail with picture on how to check usage hours. But it mention once again:
  • Go close to the TV alongwith the remote.
  • On the RHS of TV panel, there are some buttons behind. Press the <<VOL ->> button and keep it pressed.
  • While the <<VOL->> button is pressed, press and release <<INFO>> button on the remote 3 times in succession
  • The TV panel will display "Entering Service Menu" and then display the service menu
  • Press the <<2>> button on remote two times and then press OK
  • The screen will now display SRV Tool. It will display a table.
  • Using the cursor key on the remote (<<DOWN>> button), go to the row that says "PICT 00:00:00.00"
  • Using the <<RIGHT>> key go the blank cell next to it
  • Press and hold the <<MUTE>> button (for 3-4 seconds or more) till the cell displays some values of time and count. They will be displayed as hh:mm:ss nnnn where
    • hh:mm:ss is the amount of time the panel was used in hours, mins, secs
    • the nnnn value is the number of times the TV was switched on.

Warning: Do not touch the <<VOL+>> and <<VOL->> buttons on the TV side panel.

There is no exit from the service menu. The only option is to switch the TV off from the mains or the <<OFF>> button on the side panel.

Thanks a lot for repeating once again for me :)

Yea, it's 42,900 but if you can nogotiate a bit, it might come down to 40K.

Another thing I noticed, the text on LED / LCD is much smoother than on Plasma. Like the texts of the channel logo or the STB menus. I don't know if it's a resolution issue or something but I'll definitely take that seriously as it will be my monitor. LED / LCD are 1080p that I saw and the Pana / Samsung plasmas are 1024 x 768 which is not 720p.

What about small texts on PC ? Are they going to be jagged or smooth if I maintain the native resolution when working ? :-?

What about small texts on PC ? Are they going to be jagged or smooth if I maintain the native resolution when working ? :-?

TV will always adjust the incoming signal to match it's native resolution. So in case of a 720p TV, the text will always be slightly jagged.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back