Best 42" in budget

I bought the plasma and hooked it up to my PC. Movies and games are awesome but the desktop requires getting used too. 1080p is too small and 720p is too big although it"s pretty comfortable for working. I need to do something with settings to make things smoother. The text in subtitles are smooth as LED / LED but the normal text here on forum or websites will take a little getting used to.

Another thing to report, I checked the SRV Tool and it shows that the TV has been used for 254hrs approx and it's been turned ON 113 times. :( It's bad, isn't it ? I asked the store if they've given me a DEMO unit but they said that it's new and Pana might've tested it or something. The person from Panasonic also told me that it's not a demo unit although the guy didn't seem to know much :(

guys, I am looking for Sony 40HX850 in mumbai. can anyone pls help me locate a dealer? i know this model is discontinued but i dont find the 2013 Sony mocels worth the penny. By going for LG panels, Sony has lost the PQ IMO. Thanks for helping me locate a dealer in mumbai.

guys, I am looking for Sony 40HX850 in mumbai. can anyone pls help me locate a dealer? i know this model is discontinued but i dont find the 2013 Sony mocels worth the penny. By going for LG panels, Sony has lost the PQ IMO. Thanks for helping me locate a dealer in mumbai.

Make a new thread, mate.

which tv u bought, anubisX? xt50? How better it is compared to samsung f4900?in what grounds?

today, I got a chance to watch f4900 and i can say it is much better than last years f490. After watching this i am getting impatient. I think i should no more wait for pana 2013, but to choose between f4900 or xt50. But confused, exactly for which one I should go.

PS- I observed the contrast ratio in f4900 may affect the viewing pleasure though. Though I didnt get chance to touch the remote and adjust settings, my hand was itching ... to grab the mouse, and pull the 'curve' in photoshop to adjust the contrast. :D

Last edited:
What shall I do ??? Force them to give me a fresh unit ?
Frankly, you been sold a "second hand" TV - very new but still second hand. I would demand a fresh piece, if I were you. However, if the TV is in good condition and there in no sign of image retention, it is your call.

That leaves an interesting situation and a topic for conversation - what should dealers do if no one wants to buy display units?

which tv u bought, anubisX? xt50? How better it is compared to samsung f4900?in what grounds?

today, I got a chance to watch f4900 and i can say it is much better than last years f490. After watching this i am getting impatient. I think i should no more wait for pana 2013, but to choose between f4900 or xt50. But confused, exactly for which one I should go.

PS- I observed the contrast ratio in f4900 may affect the viewing pleasure though. Though I didnt get chance to touch the remote and adjust settings, my hand was itching ... to grab the mouse, and pull the 'curve' in photoshop to adjust the contrast. :D

Samsung F4900 is very good but Panasonic XT50 looked little better than Samsung. I don't know if it's the settings or something else but Pana looked really great and that's why I went with it.

Frankly, you been sold a "second hand" TV - very new but still second hand. I would demand a fresh piece, if I were you. However, if the TV is in good condition and there in no sign of image retention, it is your call.

That leaves an interesting situation and a topic for conversation - what should dealers do if no one wants to buy display units?

I called the sales-person and he told me that Panasonic gave them that set as they didn't have stock. He told me that he'll definitely look into it and won't disappoint me. He also said that the Panasonic service guy came yesterday only and took the Company's copy of the service booklet so they already have the serial no. in their system under warranty so it might be some problem but he'll see what he can do. So tell me what I can do next, I will get it replaced with a new piece.

Look at this way. This is not a really bug deal if there are no signs of image retention. Check with the vertical scroll bar - if there is IR, you will be able to see the channel logos in the right hand top corner. If that is indeed the case, I advise you to return the set.

254 hours is roughly 42 days of usage assuming 6 hours per day. The first 200 hours are the most, er, dangerous for the plasma TV. This is the time when phosphors are fresh and untamed. This is the time when IR is at its nastiest.

There are no signs of Image Retention.

I called Panasonic India and they told me that the seller is bound to give you a fresh unit and if they refuse, Panasonic will see what can be done.

thats why i mentioned it many times..
decide previously about the model
go suddenly
ask for a fresh picece from godown...
just ignore them..they keep saying..sir you go..your item will be delivered
have lots of tea..pass your time
dont get bored waiting
have other stuff demo
when the piece arrives
see it..
check seal..its easy to check any double seal..or first one..
then only pay..........
acompany the delivery yourself..upto your house
give them tea...tell them not to hurry
check hours in front of them..
if unsatisfied return it..

and be very very bold and crystal clear about your process and satifaction in showroom from very first moment of your arrival...

and take in emi only..no full payment..even if you have full cash

hope this will help futute buyers..
anyway dont regret..enjoy your tv
i am giving so gyan....and i was given a display unit...then i was not in the forum of course..hehe

Thanks a lot, @just4kix and @prosenjit

I talked to the sales person and he said that they didn't have stock and thus someone from the store must've given that unit. He said that Panasonic is discontinuing the model and they don't have any new unit in stock. I talked to Panasonic Kolkata and they said the same. The sales-person told me that if I want to return the item, they'll refund. He added that there won't be any problem with the TV so I can use it without any problem and if there's any issue, they'll take care of it. I told them to see if there's any new unit available and get mine replaced and if not, give me partial refund of 3-4K.

So what should I do ? Return the item or get a partial refund ? Brandshop is selling for 48K + 1 3D glass. I got the TV + 4 3D glass for 46K.

If you really liked the TV above everything else, even over the 2013 model Samsung 43F4900, then you may as well stick to it and get a partial refund. As you say, there are no signs of IR and none that you could percieve. Your deal at 46K with 4 pairs of glasses is very good in my opinion.

p/s. Be carefull of the on/off switch of the 3D glasses - it is rather flimsy. The switch for one of my glasses went bad and I had to get the glasses replaced.

Yes, the 3D glasses are very flimsy. Then I should get the partial refund. ANyways, I would need to check the settings a bit coz I'm not getting smooth text on PC. I'm not even getting the native resolution in Windows 8 :(

What setting values are you using ? Here's mine :

Viewing Mode : Cinema
Contrast : 30
Brightness : -1
Color : 55
Sharpness : 0
Tint : 0
Color Balance : Normal
Vivid Color : Off
Eco Mode : Off
P-NR : Off
Screen Display : On
3D Detection : On
3D Signal Message : On
IFC : Off
Side Panel : High
16:9 Overscan : Off
Pixel Orbiter : Auto
Power Save : Off

I use "Normal" mode for TV/DTH and "Cinema" or "True Cinema" for watching BDs.

I watch in controlled ambient light / low light and have mostly left factory settings except the following:

Normal:
Contrast = 35
Brightness = -3
Motion Smoother = OFF

Cinema:
Contrast = 40
Brightness = -1
Gamma = 2.2
Motion Smoother = OFF
24p Smooth Film = MAX

True Cinema:
Contrast = 38