Best Blu-Ray HT around 40k

Vish_Janu

Hi Everyone!

I'm Looking for your suggestions on buying an HT in & around 40k for my relatively large room (measuring 21 feet length x 11 feet)

Following are the options i have come across till now

1) Denon 390
2) Onkyo 5205
(both would require players which can also do upscaling (DVD or Blu-Ray.... suggestions???)

3) LG HB 954TB

SCARLET Home Theatre System with USB Direct Recording | LG Electronics India

i think the LG can do audio & video upscaling both, has blu-ray, i-pod docking etc. & im getting it around for 40k.

I would really appreciate if the forum here can guide me to the best possible home theater set-up i can have within 40,000 bucks.

Btw, it will be all running on Samsung B550 - 40 inches.

Of all the products you have listed, only the LG supports high definition audio formats for Blu-Ray. That the speakers may not be of sufficient quality to resolve hd audio is another matter. But getting a blu-ray player, amplifier and speakers all in one for under 50k seems like a good deal if you want a basic ht setup. The MRP is 51k but if you are getting it for 40 that seems like an excellent deal.

The alternative of course is to get a av receiver like the Denon 1910 or the Yamaha 663 for around 40k (?) and start with only the front speakers for now if you don't want to compromise on quality.

Just my 2 cents - I am sure home theatre owners will have better inputs.

Last edited:
In the above listed LG Htib with Blu ray the advantages are few but disadvantages are many.
Advantage:
Everything avaliable from same company and under a package with an attractive price thats it.
Disadvantage:
Not Upgradable in future.
If any thing goes wrong with the player then whole system becomes useless as you won't be able to attach an external blu ray player to it.

In your budget the best bet could be Onkyo's Htib 6200 which support HD audio Decoding and is avaliable around 45K and the separate Philips Blu Ray Player BDP 3000 for 16K.
This would defenitely shot up your budget by another 21K but its fully upgradable in the future from the speakers point of view and would not make you upgarde the entire setup.

Thanks both of you for your suggestions.

I'm still looking for a clear choice regarding the same, as wherever i look on net... right from wired, to stuff, to trusted reviews & our own tech2 & techtree has given the LG great reviews.

This is going to be my first HT, so i want it to be the best it can be, also you mentioned that if the LG player conks off, my whole system is dead??? cant i replace it? if so, why not?

Also, as i said im open to life beyond the convenience of LG but if you guys can kindly suggest an exact system (as u guys obviously know much more then i do) within 40k which can upscale audio & video, it will be awesome.

I'm also open to installing only 2 speakers initially, as particle suggested but would that be worth it? i mean will it gimme that HT feel ??

Please Advice Further :)

Last edited:
The alternative of course is to get a av receiver like the Denon 1910 or the Yamaha 663 for around 40k (?) and start with only the front speakers for now if you don't want to compromise on quality.

QUOTE]

Can someone tell me where Yamaha 663 is available???

you mentioned that if the LG player conks off, my whole system is dead??? cant i replace it? if so, why not?

I'm also open to installing only 2 speakers initially, as particle suggested but would that be worth it? i mean will it gimme that HT feel ??

To this point of your yours I would say that here players also acts as the amplifier and it also has limited connectivity options in comparison to an AVR, if something goes wrong with the player then you can not just buy the same player alone as its part of a package which comes along with its matching speakers.

Its good that you are open to the option of starting off with the 2 speakers first and then completing it at the later date when your budget permits, this way you will end up spending more money than your initail budget but the final outcome would be much more satisfactory,as you are not forced upon by any manufacturer here to go with the same brands of speakers as that of the AVR so you end up buying best bang for your buck. Initially you won't feel HT experience through just 2 speakers but Musically they could be much more superior than any HTIB packages which has speakers with limited frequency range.

Its good that you are open to the option of starting off with the 2 speakers first and then completing it at the later date when your budget permits, this way you will end up spending more money than your initail budget but the final outcome would be much more satisfactory,as you are not forced upon by any manufacturer here to go with the same brands of speakers as that of the AVR so you end up buying best bang for your buck. Initially you won't feel HT experience through just 2 speakers but Musically they could be much more superior than any HTIB packages which has speakers with limited frequency range.

Please suggest the req. combo of AVR/DVD Player/Speakers... (which can upscale audio/video)

Thanks

For beginers you could start with Avr model from Denon 1610 or 1910 both avaliable around 25K and 37K respectively whereas the later has upscaling advantage over the former model. For speakers you could start with something like Jamo, Mission, MS Avant, Polk ...... in FS or in BS based speakers you could start from the likes of Wharfedale, Polk, Tannoy, MS, Dali, etc...
For your DVD player needs you could look for players from the likes of Pioneer model No. 610, or from the budget lines of Samsung or Philips.

For speakers you could start with something like Jamo, Mission, MS Avant, Polk ...... in FS or in BS based speakers you could start from the likes of Wharfedale, Polk, Tannoy, MS, Dali, etc...
For your DVD player needs you could look for players from the likes of Pioneer model No. 610, or from the budget lines of Samsung or Philips.

Please explain FS/BS based speakers?? & which 1 i should go for & why??
(im sorry for noob questions)

Also, can you suggest some other good AVR with upscaling capabilities in the range of 20k-25k ...

I have heard the pioneer player is in the range of 6k.... is that true?

Please explain FS/BS based speakers?? & which 1 i should go for & why??
(im sorry for noob questions)

Also, can you suggest some other good AVR with upscaling capabilities in the range of 20k-25k ...

I have heard the pioneer player is in the range of 6k.... is that true?

FS means Floor Standers or Tower Speakers, if you have space for them then go for these as they provide better bass and frequency response.
BS means Book Shelves speakers and meant to be kept on a dedicated stand to bring them to the ear level, they have limited frequency response. You should buy these if you are planning to add a sub woofer immediately to your setup for the lowel end of the frequency chart.

Yes the said Pioneer player ranges in the range of 6k.

Thanks again ashish.

Please also do suggest me a reasonably priced AVR which can do audio upscaling atleast (as i suppose the pioneer player would do vid upscaling)

For beginers you could start with Avr model from Denon 1610 or 1910 both avaliable around 25K and 37K respectively whereas the later has upscaling advantage over the former model. For speakers you could start with something like Jamo, Mission, MS Avant, Polk ...... in FS or in BS based speakers you could start from the likes of Wharfedale, Polk, Tannoy, MS, Dali, etc...

Hi Ashish,

Can you suggest where to get the Denon AVR 1910 in Delhi? The price mentioned by you is attractive.

Cheers

i have heard & read at varipus places regarding mp3 upscaling... isnt that the same??

Also, if i let Pioneer do the upscaling bit, would it be inferior in terms of quality as compared to a denon or would the output be the same.

What would you do if you were in my shoes..?

i have heard & read at varipus places regarding mp3 upscaling... isnt that the same??

Also, if i let Pioneer do the upscaling bit, would it be inferior in terms of quality as compared to a denon or would the output be the same.

What would you do if you were in my shoes..?

Thats a different thing altogether, first of all when you are upgrading to a separates based system you should also upgrade your Music library too from lossy Mp3 to either flac or Apple lossless format atleast here you would gain a lot more than any system put together.
You are not loosing anything here if you let the Pioneer do the upscaling as its always recommended to do the upscaling at the source or the best upscaling device and in your case your player would do it. The Denon in question i.e 1610 doesn't do any upscaling.

Thats a different thing altogether, first of all when you are upgrading to a separates based system you should also upgrade your Music library too from lossy Mp3 to either flac or Apple lossless format atleast here you would gain a lot more than any system put together.
You are not loosing anything here if you let the Pioneer do the upscaling as its always recommended to do the upscaling at the source or the best upscaling device and in your case your player would do it. The Denon in question i.e 1610 doesn't do any upscaling.

alright, so if i understand correctly.. following is my system per se, till now..

Denon 1610
Pioneer 610

can you also suggest some reasonable FS speakers to complete the system ... & would there be any extra-cabling required for the whole set-up.... if it doesnt comes with the equipement, if you think its req which one should i go for & how much would it usually set me back by...

Denon 1610,Pioneer 610
can you also suggest some reasonable FS speakers to complete the system ... & would there be any extra-cabling required for the whole set-up.... if it doesnt comes with the equipement, if you think its req which one should i go for & how much would it usually set me back by...

For FS you have to go for auditioning speakers from the likes of Mordaunt Short Avant, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Jamo S series, Polk Audio Tsi Series,
Mission M35i, in all of the above speakers except Wharf everything else is between the price range of 11-20K, Wharf around 25-27K.

Yes you will have to spend extra on the speaker cable part but that would be just the fraction of the total cost for eg if you go for 14 AWG DAC speaker cable which should be avaliable around 65-70 Rs. per meter.

Thanks alot for everything ashish

i was jus browsing through pioneer's india site & found this dvd player
DV-220KV-K

what are your views regarding it as compared to 610 ?

also, if i go for a medium range AVR from another brand like onkyo 307 or 506, what are your views about them?

any other mid range AVR you like except denons, & what are your views about onkyos FS.

Thanks alot for everything ashish

i was jus browsing through pioneer's india site & found this dvd player
DV-220KV-K

what are your views regarding it as compared to 610 ?

also, if i go for a medium range AVR from another brand like onkyo 307 or 506, what are your views about them?

any other mid range AVR you like except denons, & what are your views about onkyos FS.

Just by looking at the specs of the player it looks promising but the other model i.e 610 is tried and trusted by the users and members of this forum that why it was recommended.
For the AVR if you don't want to go in for Denon then its your decision entirely as its you who has to use it after all, there are few models to consider even from Onkyo's stable but I would recommend you start from 577 atleast anything below that might not support HD audio decoding onboard. There is another model from Yahama i.e 565 which also decodes HD Audio on board. I recommend these because you might buy a Blu Ray player in future then you would need an AVR with this decoding option.
About Onkyo FS i am not much sure as I haven't auditioned them but if you like its SQ then go with them.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back