Best speakers for a Home theatre!

Shanxp

Hi guys,

If pricing was not a consideration, which speaker and subwoofer system would be the best for a dedicated home theatre system. Room size 17'6" by 10'10".

Regards,
Shankar

Have you already purchased the AVR? IF yes then you have to go my the average RMS power per channel of the AVR. The RMS out the speaker can handle must have to be either equal or preferably slightly greater than that of the AVR to avoid damaging of the speakers at high volumes.

However if you have not yet purchased the AVR then there is a very useful link in cnet which you can refer for guidance
Surround sound card buying guide - CNET Reviews and the
Best home theater speakers - CNET Reviews

not all may be available in India but still can give you good guidance.

Hi guys,

If pricing was not a consideration, which speaker and subwoofer system would be the best for a dedicated home theatre system. Room size 17'6" by 10'10".

Regards,
Shankar

Believe me pricing will always be a consideration. You can have stereo speakers of 350,000 USD and you can have a 11.2 speakers system.

Its always good to state a maximum that you can spend. Check out the HT room threads and you can get an idea of the prices. There are enough threads on speaker prices and amp and processor prices.

If you are building a ground up HT room, check out Santhols2 or a few other threads on what to look out for from an acoustic perspective.

From an equipment perspective, you will need to also tell us what you have currently so people can give better advise.

Trust me there is a price for everything .. ;) so u better start working on it first and then you can lookout for the speakers...

These babies come around 2mn $ :licklips:

transmission-audio-ultimate-loudspeaker.jpg

At the outset there is no such thing as best speakers. The important point is speakers that is good (or best) for your ears

There are a number of considerations that have to be taken into account.

1. Price of course. Speakers follow the rule of diminishing returns. As you start paying more, the additional value you get from the speakers start going down. Beyond a certain level, additional money do not add any value.

2. The important marriage between the amp and the speakers. You can go two ways. You can decide on the amp based upon specification and reviews. Then, you can buy speakers that fit the amp well. Alternatively, based upon certain considerations you can pick a set of speakers first, and then find the amp that fit the speakers best.

The way to do this is again two. One is to to visit the houses of friend and relatives who have HT installed and listen to their systems. As other have suggested you can also visit the houses of HFV members in your city with their permission. The other way is to visit a few reputed dealers and request them to mix and match speakers and amplifiers and list to various combinations.

3. Your listening habits. This is very critical, and that is why I always advise people to audition, audition, and audition. Yesterday in a small meeting of members, we were discussing my personal likes and dislikes on the question of a two channel amp. During the discussion I realised that I like low frequency sound to be tight and taught. That narrowed down the choices of my amp quiet drastically.

In HT, what are your likes and dislikes? Do you want deep and boomy sound? Do you want subdued highs? Do you want dialogues to be be clear, audible, and understandable?

If you like the highs to be subdued, look for British/Canadian speakers such as Epos, B&W, QA, PSB, etc. If you like high sounds, look for US speakers such as Martin Logan, Deftech, etc.

If you are little adventurous, you can look for ribbon and planar speakers from companies such as Magnepan, Martin Logan and others. These would certainly need powerful sub woofer(s) as they stop at 100 to 150 watts irrespective of their specifications.

Last but not least is the type of speakers you can fit into the room - floor standing, bookshelves, in-wall of on-wall?

If money is not a consideration, I would suggest you spend some money on room acoustics that will solve over 75% of most HT room issues.

The issues are many, and a person who makes a list and narrows down his choices will be a happy one.

Choose carefully.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I am getting the HT room treated fully for acoustics ( Anutone), also I will be using a Denon AVR 3311 receiver.

Regards,
Shankar Prasad

By treating the room fully, I understand you will be treating all the walls. This will deaden your room and change the tone of the sound. As you are treating the walls, you can also look at the possibility of wiring and the possible installation of in-wall or on-wall speakers.

Cheers

If 2 channel music is not a priority then I would strongly recommend M&K for HT. IMO they are one of the best for HT in their price range, and they are voiced especially keeping in mind requirements of HT sound. Best of all they are being sold and serviced in India now!
Cheers
Sid

Feedback on Paradigm speakers!

Hi guys,

For my dedicated HT room, A HT vendor is suggesting the following speaker/subwoofer combination with a Denon AVR3311 receiver:

Paradigm SE3 special edition floor standing speakers
Paradigm SC- center special edition center channel speaker
Paradigm ADP190 surround speakers
VelodyneCHT12Q powered subwoofer

Any feedback on this?

Regards,
Shankar Prasad

Another company the voices its speakers for HT is Atlantic technology available from Audio People in Chennai. IMO these are excellent for HT applications probably comparable to M&K. I had the good fortune of owning both M&K and Atlantic technology in the past and hope to buy them down the road when I separate my HT and 2 channel listening rooms. Another great brand is Triad. I should also add Paradigm to this list which I currently own, though they are not explicitly voiced for HT, never-the-less they are excellent for HT as they have a nice laid back sound - exactly what those sizziling HT tracks demand.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Shankar, please do not create multiple threads for the same topic. And, please audition speakers yourself. We can only give suggestions.

Cheers

Try the Axiom speakers ,,,,,M-60 and M-80 and ep-500 sub..They are realy good,,I have them and it sounds great.I bought it in India

Pls provide more info on the axiom speakers esp model that you've bought + where in India did you manage to do so

Back