Best subwoofer in 30-50 k budget

I auditioned Yamaha NS-SW100 yesterday along with Velodyne Impact 12 mk2, I found NSW100 a decent sub at 100W, which was having clean & tight bass not the loud theatre kind or car sub type bass which is my requirement. Velodyne was performing slightly better with the extra punch because it was 175W. After a long thoughtful session I ordered Yamaha NS-SW300 which I presumed to perform better than nsw100 because its 250W continuous power handling. It will arrive next week, I will give a review on that later.
Meanwhile I thank very helpful members here for their valuable and timely inputs.
Awesome awaiting your feed back

we’ll thank you all for the suggestions. I ended up getting the bic pl200-ii and after a week of using the sub let me tell u it’s amazing. I have auditioned so many subs and bic is class apart. It also provides the best warranty period. 8 years nd 5 years for amplifier. So to all audiophiles looking for sub in 30-50 k budget look not further bic pl200-ii is all you need

we’ll thank you all for the suggestions. I ended up getting the bic pl200-ii and after a week of using the sub let me tell u it’s amazing. I have auditioned so many subs and bic is class apart. It also provides the best warranty period. 8 years nd 5 years for amplifier. So to all audiophiles looking for sub in 30-50 k budget look not further bic pl200-ii is all you need

Congratulations. Do post a more detailed impression and how you have set it up. That really is a very good Sub in that price bracket

MaSh

Hi folks,
I am the proud owner of of Yamaha NS-SW300 Subwoofer now... Bought it from HTStore, Bangalore.

Got the sub delivered on Saturday night, could set it up only on Sunday and calibrated on Tuesday.

First impression:
* Good looking (got Black Noir colour which is matte black not Piano black)
* Small footprint (slightly bigger to my previous Polk 8 incher)
* Volume and Power switch in the front panel gives flexibility and new look.

Movies:
Watched two movies, one with Dolby Digital plus audio and another with 2 channel with Dolby Digital prologic 2 mode.

With true Dolby 5.1 source I could hear the clean & deep bass which was my requirement because I never liked the punchy theatre/car audio kind of bass.

When I was watching 2 channel in prologic mode in some parts of the movie I noticed some rumbling which I thought because of source.

Music:
While it comes to music (mp3 320kbps) which was my main requirement, the sub seem to punch right amount of bass into track which I felt coming out of my Wharfedale tower speakers. I had previously selected some tracks from hindi movies to test on my new sub. Through out my listening session I felt the right amount of bass is induced.

I thought I made a right (brave) decision to go for it after long thoughts.

Sub settings:
Sub volume 50%
High cut (crossover) 12'o clock position
BASS mode to Movies

AVR settings:
Crossover frequency 80hz
LFE+Main 120hz
Level for Audyssey movies 0db
Manual Eq for music +3db

Please feel free to comment/suggestions regarding my settings.

Overall for the price and size of the sub it is worth buying and one will not regret for it.

Sorry for the late response @Love4sound bro...

Thanks to the people here for giving valuable suggestions at right time...

Hi folks,
I am the proud owner of of Yamaha NS-SW300 Subwoofer now... Bought it from HTStore, Bangalore.

Got the sub delivered on Saturday night, could set it up only on Sunday and calibrated on Tuesday.

First impression:

Movies:
Watched two movies, one with Dolby Digital plus audio and another with 2 channel with Dolby Digital prologic 2 mode.

With true Dolby 5.1 source I could hear the clean & deep bass which was my requirement because I never liked the punchy theatre/car audio kind of bass.

When I was watching 2 channel in prologic mode in some parts of the movie I noticed some rumbling which I thought because of source.

Music:
While it comes to music (mp3 320kbps) which was my main requirement, the sub seem to punch right amount of bass into track which I felt coming out of my Wharfedale tower speakers. I had previously selected some tracks from hindi movies to test on my new sub. Through out my listening session I felt the right amount of bass is induced.

Sub settings:
Sub volume 50%
BASS mode to Movies

AVR settings:
Crossover frequency 80hz
LFE+Main 120hz
Manual Eq for music +3db

Overall for the price and size of the sub it is worth buying and one will not regret for it.

Awesome . I also wanted to get the sub but since no demo went for the bic. It’s not expensive not sure y dealers are not having it for demo

Hi folks,

First impression:

Movies:

Music:

Sub settings:
Sub volume 50%
BASS mode to Movies

AVR settings:
Crossover frequency 80hz
LFE+Main 120hz
Manual Eq for music +3db

Congrats Zeeya.. Enjoy your purchase.
Even I was curious about this sub but no one seems to have this or talk about it though the specs seems good.
Majority of people recommend either SVS, BIC America, and so on..
Guess Yamaha is not known for sub.

Hope you are happy with your purchase.
Cheers !!!

Hi Love4sound,
Could you please let me know from where/which dealer you purchased BIC-PL II. Also please let me know the final price

Hi folks,

First impression:

Movies:

Music:

Sub settings:
Sub volume 50%
BASS mode to Movies

AVR settings:
Crossover frequency 80hz
LFE+Main 120hz
Manual Eq for music +3db

Nice Honest and Decent review.......

Nothing wrong with using Yamaha subs....its a matter of preference etc......Yamaha was ruling the market in the early 80s and 90s.....unfortunately they dont make Yamaha like they used to.......only some products are good......and their higher segment series AVRs....

The settings look fine to me....give it some time to blend in and adjust itself......

If you find the bass too boomy.....play with the crossover settings manually (+ or - 10hz...)....you will find the sweet spot which works for all....(Movies / Music / Gaming).

All the best!

Nice Honest and Decent review.......

Nothing wrong with using Yamaha subs....its a matter of preference etc......Yamaha was ruling the market in the early 80s and 90s.....unfortunately they dont make Yamaha like they used to.......only some products are good......and their higher segment series AVRs....

The settings look fine to me....give it some time to blend in and adjust itself......

If you find the bass too boomy.....play with the crossover settings manually (+ or - 10hz...)....you will find the sweet spot which works for all....(Movies / Music / Gaming).

All the best!
Thanks @efernand1 for your comment and suggestion, I will surely look at settings after sometime.

Emotiva basx s10 and s12 are stopped few months back, no stock in Bangalore. Checked with HTStore also.

Congratulations. Do post a more detailed impression and how you have set it up. That really is a very good Sub in that price bracket

MaSh
Thanks. My set up is simple since I don’t have a dedicated room for HT. I live in a 2 bhk nd even in my living room it is difficult. Thank god the master bedroom is some what ok. As seen in the dp the right corner is where i have placed the sub. Subwoofer is excellent. I have auditioned a lot of subs and finally decided to get the pl200-ii

Thanks for the input @efernand1, But I don't have enough space to accomodate a big sub, that is the reason I am looking for a sub with a small footprint. I am not a huge fan of room-shaking bass, I want some extra dimension to my music & movies.
I am currently using Polk's sub (of RM6750 package, 50w, 8 inch), I wanted to upgrade from that.
Shall I audition SW100 which is available for demo in HTStore and decide on SW300? Will that be justifiable?

You should audition the products before you can purchase. You need minimum 200 RMS watts if it's a potted sub or 300+ watts for sealed sub. My guess is that two emotiva bas x10 would do the job (200 RMS) but you need to invest if your decision is to buy 2.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back