Best TV Operating System

vijayk

This is something I stumbled upon while doing my Search on OLED TV
Brand LG has OS called WebOS and with Samsung Tizen TV OS and then there is Andriod and so on

Most of the reviews on these OS do not talk really great, something of other are short comings
Now within these choices which is good OS that will add some points to shortlist brand?

Thank you,
~VijayK

This is something I stumbled upon while doing my Search on OLED TV
Brand LG has OS called WebOS and with Samsung Tizen TV OS and then there is Andriod and so on

Most of the reviews on these OS do not talk really great, something of other are short comings
Now within these choices which is good OS that will add some points to shortlist brand?

Thank you,
~VijayK
In my personal opinion. The best TV OS is no OS at all. I really wish we still had the option to buy a dumb TV.

I would also suggest - for reliability & quality sake - get the best TV in your budget and get a decent media player - like Apple TV or Nvidia Shield pro!

Having used Android TV OS on a Sony and WebOS on a LG, I vastly prefer the LG variant. Haven't tried Apple TV or Shield

Having used Android TV OS on a Sony and WebOS on a LG, I vastly prefer the LG variant. Haven't tried Apple TV or Shield
Opposite for me. I much prefer Sony's Android TV implementation (at least on my X95G, dunno if subsequent implementations are different) to LG WebOS. The WebOS implementation on my G1 OLED is especially atrocious. In fact, the G1s interface compelled me to get an Apple TV and i couldn't be happier. The picture quality is vastly superior to the inbuilt apps on the LG. Haven't tried the Apple TV on the Sony but it's picture cal and ease of use was already on point so never felt the need.

Opposite for me. I much prefer Sony's Android TV implementation (at least on my X95G, dunno if subsequent implementations are different) to LG WebOS. The WebOS implementation on my G1 OLED is especially atrocious. In fact, the G1s interface compelled me to get an Apple TV and i couldn't be happier. The picture quality is vastly superior to the inbuilt apps on the LG. Haven't tried the Apple TV on the Sony but it's picture cal and ease of use was already on point so never felt the need.
The way Android forces you to sign in was my big issue with it. I don't do that as a matter of habit and this made adding new apps a headache. Plus the OS slowed down over the course of a year. My guess is the experience is better if you sign in (allowing Google to scrape more data).

My 2018 LG Oled didn't have the slowdown problem over four years.

The way Android forces you to sign in was my big issue with it. I don't do that as a matter of habit and this made adding new apps a headache. Plus the OS slowed down over the course of a year. My guess is the experience is better if you sign in (allowing Google to scrape more data).

My 2018 LG Oled didn't have the slowdown problem over four years.
Well, i do find it convenient to log into every device with the same account to keep settings/preferences aligned.

Lg TVs of yesteryear were somehow snappier from my experience with a C8 OLED. The newer generation has unfortunately been bogged down with bloatware and was slow from day 1. I got the Sony within 1 month of the LG and it's still off to the races everytime.

Plus, the new remote is utterly unergonomic.

Well, i do find it convenient to log into every device with the same account to keep settings/preferences aligned.

Lg TVs of yesteryear were somehow snappier from my experience with a C8 OLED. The newer generation has unfortunately been bogged down with bloatware and was slow from day 1. I got the Sony within 1 month of the LG and it's still off to the races everytime.

Plus, the new remote is utterly unergonomic.
I have a new LG as well - thats what I switched to after living with Sony for a year. The first comment of vastly prefering was based on that one.

I have a new LG as well - thats what I switched to after living with Sony for a year. The first comment of vastly prefering was based on that one.
then the quality control of LG ain't that great cuz my particular LG OLED is slower than a snail

Actually these days as well as in the past too there used to be some TV OS which was there upon the introduction of digital signals and digital processing in the TV. Only the pure analog input TVs whcih only displayed the analog signals without any processing or decoding did not need any OS.

Further the OS I have used are Samsung and LG. Ihave tried out a variations of android in the entry level TVs and Sony TVs. Further as regarding the processing nowdays a lot more is done inside the TV so the OS needs to be roboust and fool proof. Though the firestick and the apple TV can substitue their OS but still the audio/video handling and processing part is done by the TV OS and only the visual input experience is handled by the Apple TV and Fire OS/android TV. It is like running Windows on top of MacOS.

then the quality control of LG ain't that great cuz my particular LG OLED is slower than a snail
Or they have variance between lineups. My experience is with C series Oleds. From what I know the B series is notably worse

Or they have variance between lineups. My experience is with C series Oleds. From what I know the B series is notably worse
Mine is the G1 series which was supposedly their flagship at the time and the only OLED in their lineup that came with the "Evo" panel. The panel in itself is fine when it comes to PQ but i abhor accessing the TV menu for any purpose whatsoever. Even changing inputs is laggy.

As allluded earlier, I've used a C8 and that was reasonably snappy.

Which Sony do you use?

I have an LG 50PZ550 Plasma and an LG 65 CX OLED and i dont think it is laggy well a fraction of second faster would have felt like the current gen processor however the time taken for changing inputs is quite quick. Further accessing the audio setup menu etc are also takes a little more time on the OLED in comparison to the Plasma. This is most probably because of the higher digital processing needed of the OS.

Apple TV 4K 2022 somehow isn’t as good as the native apps on my 2017 lg b7 oled in terms of picture quality. Colors are really unnatural, to the limit of giving me a Samsung level vividness. I used the rtings recommended settings on the tv until I got the Apple TV. But on connecting the Apple TV, I felt the blacks are even more crushed. It lacks details in grey and skin tones are no longer natural. I tried the calibration with the iPhone but still it didn’t improve much.

My Wi-Fi on the tv is dead and the remote broke from 1000 falls to the floor. So I got the Apple TV for usability improvement, and it works superb. I don’t feel like going back to any other box or native os after using it!

Actually these days as well as in the past too there used to be some TV OS which was there upon the introduction of digital signals and digital processing in the TV. Only the pure analog input TVs whcih only displayed the analog signals without any processing or decoding did not need any OS.

Further the OS I have used are Samsung and LG. Ihave tried out a variations of android in the entry level TVs and Sony TVs. Further as regarding the processing nowdays a lot more is done inside the TV so the OS needs to be roboust and fool proof. Though the firestick and the apple TV can substitue their OS but still the audio/video handling and processing part is done by the TV OS and only the visual input experience is handled by the Apple TV and Fire OS/android TV. It is like running Windows on top of MacOS.
It can be possible that the video processing part of the tv os is done perfectly that the moment you play something it works as expected. So it’s possible to have superb video quality from a os which is unintuitive and has poor / sluggish UI

Apple TV 4K 2022 somehow isn’t as good as the native apps on my 2017 lg b7 oled in terms of picture quality. Colors are really unnatural, to the limit of giving me a Samsung level vividness. I used the rtings recommended settings on the tv until I got the Apple TV. But on connecting the Apple TV, I felt the blacks are even more crushed. It lacks details in grey and skin tones are no longer natural. I tried the calibration with the iPhone but still it didn’t improve much.

My Wi-Fi on the tv is dead and the remote broke from 1000 falls to the floor. So I got the Apple TV for usability improvement, and it works superb. I don’t feel like going back to any other box or native os after using it!
Check the video/picture settings and check whether HDR is set to always on.

Also check the brightness settings on your LG set to see if black level is set to limited or full.

Check the video/picture settings and check whether HDR is set to always on.

Also check the brightness settings on your LG set to see if black level is set to limited or full.
by default it was on, I turned it off so that the menu works in SDR. Match frames and match content is on, so HDR would turn on as soon as the content streaming starts as expected. Either ways in no configuration, the skin tones are natural like on the native app. The color seems somehow more saturated and more reddish.

by default it was on, I turned it off so that the menu works in SDR. Match frames and match content is on, so HDR would turn on as soon as the content streaming starts as expected. Either ways in no configuration, the skin tones are natural like on the native app. The color seems somehow more saturated and more reddish.
Strange.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back