Bi-Wired Speakers

denom

Banned
Banned
Can someone explain what does this mean? Also what are the advantages or disadvantages of bi-wired speakers....

lol, could not find it as when i click on search link, the ad banner covers the search option!

Thank You audio engr,

Questions answered, maybe it makes a difference or maybe it does not. I guess I have to hear the bi - wired set-up to note the difference.

It would make sense to go for active speakers then? Avoid having set of 2 amps/jumble of wires??? What do you say? What is your take on the bi-wiring deal?

I was asking audio engr, but thanks for sharing details of your speakers too sid !

Thanks for d info sid..... B&W, wow! Heard them a couple of years back at some A/V Expo, did not recover from that experience, notably after being told what they cost.... yeah the cost knocked me socks off!!!

Thanks for d info sid..... B&W, wow! Heard them a couple of years back at some A/V Expo, did not recover from that experience, notably after being told what they cost.... yeah the cost knocked me socks off!!!

Now that he is using the 801's now is something i didnt know of.

*and that would make both of ur socks blown off now? Hah hah

To Bi-wire or not bi-wire is a question for most of us having bi-wireable speakers.
Technically if you're going to terminate and connect to the same amp or receiver, it makes little or no difference.
Interestingly my AE 120s are tri-wireable. I bi-wired with my receiver. To be honest could not spot any difference ( you have to remove the plate which connects the leads of HF and LF-in my case MF as well). I've used bi-wire Chord carnival cable and QED interconnects for all gears. Then got some old Rotel gears (2 power amps and preamps connected to marantz CD player). I bi-amped (one power amp for MF/HF and another for LF) my speakers. Rotel power amps can be used in stereo or mono block mode (for biamp it should run in mono block mode). When I bi-amped I could feel the difference. The sound stage is much wider, more pronounced, tighter bass , may be a bit more clarity (could not summarise ,but could feel the difference :) ).
So from my experience if you're Bi-amping , Bi-wiring makes sense, otherwise it's negligible to notice any difference.
May be it's good for cable manufacturers

Last edited:
To Bi-wire or not bi-wire is a question for most of us having bi-wireable speakers.
Technically if you're going to terminate and connect to the same amp or receiver, it makes little or no difference.
Interestingly my AE 120s are tri-wireable. I bi-wired with my receiver. To be honest could not spot any difference ( you have to remove the plate which connects the leads of HF and LF-in my case MF as well). I've used bi-wire Chord carnival cable and QED interconnects for all gears. Then got some old Rotel gears (2 power amps and preamps connected to marantz CD player). I bi-amped (one power amp for MF/HF and another for LF) my speakers. Rotel power amps can be used in stereo or mono block mode (for biamp it should run in mono block mode). When I bi-amped I could feel the difference. The sound stage is much wider, more pronounced, tighter bass , may be a bit more clarity (could not summarise ,but could feel the difference :) ).
So from my experience if you're Bi-amping , Bi-wiring makes sense, otherwise it's negligible to notice any difference.
May be it's good for cable manufacturers

While you are right that bi-amp is a bigger benefit over simple bi-wire, it is not correct to say that bi-wire does not bring in benefits. If your speakers true biwireable you draw humongous benefits even by simple biwiring. You said you were using a reciever earlier with your AE. Now that you have a Rotel, try this simple experiment...Using just one Rotel amp, try a single wiring and bi-wiring comparison again, I am sure you will hear what just Bi-wiring brings to the table. A receiever is already a very limited resource to drive your speakers, trying to hear differences with that in place is not a great idea IMO. Its like driving a auto rickshaw on a express highway and trying to figure out the capabilities of the road:p.

I mentioned "LITTLE OR NO DIFFERENCE". The gain by isolately powering the drivers from each other using bi-wiring is extremely small, especially compared to other sources of errors/distortion. This is really a controversial topic all over the world while biwiring may alter the freq response (check all the links mentioned below) which may or may not be noticeable hence doesn't justify the money you spend. It's been debated in almost all AV forums.
About your comments on my setting-> Not interested now as I knew there is little or no benefit and don't want to mess up my connections. I believe in facts. This is simply like "I have lots of cables so it sounds better", a classic ranting by so many audiophiles or wannabe audiophiles all over the world. This has been statistically analysed tested by reputed universities and audio entusiasts.
So to back up my theory there are some of the links including some from Naim, B&W (Interestingly B&W is even against Bi-amping-link will share with you later).
Also there is an interesting link about cable myth (like using expensive cable like Monster ones really makes some difference). The idea of my posting is to bust some myths and to share my knowledge I acquired through various resources.
My advice: While investing in audio gears make a sensible decision, don't go by any advice from "Wanna be audiophiles from forums", do your own research. I don't claim myself knowing everything like some, but did some ground work before stepping in and wanna share my findings. You can always find some other links to backup Bi-wiring (which I found was not strong enough as this "Against" campaign).
Will do some blind testing with some of my friends who have invested in some expensive gears and share later.

The big cable myth
Speaker Wire

Biwiring myth busters.
===================

**********Warning*****************
***Some of the following links need you to have some basic understanding of classic electronics-Have to refresh my rusted Electronics basics I learnt in college a few decades back :eek:hyeah: interesting...

Bi Wiring to Loudspeakers
Bi-wire, not only an advantage
Bi-wiring Part 2: The Cable Conundrum — Reviews and News from Audioholics
AV & Hifi Myths PtIII - Bi-wiring. - AVForums.com
Naim Audio
Bi-wiring Speakers: Get Better Results - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers
Bi-wiring - Why bi-wiring has no benefits

While you are right that bi-amp is a bigger benefit over simple bi-wire, it is not correct to say that bi-wire does not bring in benefits. If your speakers true biwireable you draw humongous benefits even by simple biwiring. You said you were using a reciever earlier with your AE. Now that you have a Rotel, try this simple experiment...Using just one Rotel amp, try a single wiring and bi-wiring comparison again, I am sure you will hear what just Bi-wiring brings to the table. A receiever is already a very limited resource to drive your speakers, trying to hear differences with that in place is not a great idea IMO. Its like driving a auto rickshaw on a express highway and trying to figure out the capabilities of the road:p.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back