BIC AMERICA PL 200 II vs SVS PB1000/SB1000

rksingh1

Dear FMs,

Wanted to pick your brain and get feedback on BIC AMERICA PL200 and SVS subwoofers. I haven't listened to any - and it is difficult to audition them. I'll be pairing them with Polk S55 towers and using a Yamaha 585 amp.

Room size is 18ftx20ft in L shape.

Hi

Each of these brands have their own cons and pros.....you need to audition where possible based on the location you are in or alternatively rely on reviews and feedback available on OWNER threads on this forum or if possible, visit one of the FMs in your location who own these subs....

Suggest you compare the specs of these subs along with cost etc. Also everyone has a different shaped room and dynamics will differ depending on placement etc.

Getting the right sub to fit in can be challenging for a lot of users as a lot of factors are at play...suggest you read the subwoofer threads which will gie you a fair Idea......

Besides SVS and BIC....Polk has also the HTS 12 and HTS 10 which are decent subs recently launched...Sunfire too makes good subs...

End of the day, you need to trust your ears and decide which brand and model works best for your expectation....

Dear FMs,

Wanted to pick your brain and get feedback on BIC AMERICA PL200 and SVS subwoofers. I haven't listened to any - and it is difficult to audition them. I'll be pairing them with Polk S55 towers and using a Yamaha 585 amp.

Whatever budget you have. Get 2 subs in that budget.
Auditioning a sub is not the solution. As how the sub is integrated matters more.
Two properly integrated 60k subs can sound better than two 2 lakhs subs not integrated properly.

I have seen a HT room where 2 subs of 1 lakh each were placed together.
Subs are placed together(side by side or one over another) to get more power and nothing else.

For your room size a dual sub will be the best solution. What is the maximum budget you are willing to invest in subwoofer.

They are both excellent subs. If you can get a home audition, great, you can't go wrong with either.

Personally, I'd go with the svs.

MaSh

Recently few FM has purchased XTZ 10/12 subwoofer over SVS and mentioned that they are equally capable subwoofer with more tuning options and cost less than SVS. Sunfire SDS12 is also one of the good option within same price bracket. BIC PL200II is one of the favorite subwoofer among within FM and cost less than XTZ or SVS but keep in mind that FM have upgraded from BIC to XTZ/SVS.

Thanks everyone. I'd like to keep budget low as possible. I am looking for VFM solution.

I remember reading @Love4sound version of moving away from BIC to XTZ. He seemed very happy with BIC, XTZ gave him minor improvements over BIC. I won't prefer to spend 50% extra money for 5-10% improvement.

I also don't want to go for Budget subs. My plan is to get just one sub for now and add second sub later. I agree two subs will be better, but I am taking it slow. Just spent a hundred K :D

Thanks everyone. I'd like to keep budget low as possible. I am looking for VFM solution.

I remember reading @Love4sound version of moving away from BIC to XTZ. He seemed very happy with BIC, XTZ gave him minor improvements over BIC. I won't prefer to spend 50% extra money for 5-10% improvement.

I also don't want to go for Budget subs. My plan is to get just one sub for now and add second sub later. I agree two subs will be better, but I am taking it slow. Just spent a hundred K :D
VFM solution would be dual bic f-12. Wen i mentioned marginal improvements it was based on the audition of the sub for a week at my place without the best calibration. But after using it for month and comparing it with bic pl 200–II all I can say is the xtz justifies its price and a clear winner but has a price tag that’s 26k more. So does it perform for that 26k? Definitely yes. But for your room size 12 inch will do a better job and the xtz 12 costs 75k. So here I would say VFM would be dual bic f12 or the pl200. I have heard bic f12 in dual and done dual tests with pl200-II as well. Both were awesome in dual. So if ur going dual go bic. If single then go for the xtz 12.17. If u don’t want budget subs then note bic comes under budget sub and in us is treated as one of the best budget and entry level sub for HT.

VFM solution would be dual bic f-12. Wen i mentioned marginal improvements it was based on the audition of the sub for a week at my place without the best calibration. But after using it for month and comparing it with bic pl 200–II all I can say is the xtz justifies its price and a clear winner but has a price tag that’s 26k more. So does it perform for that 26k? Definitely yes. But for your room size 12 inch will do a better job and the xtz 12 costs 75k. So here I would say VFM would be dual bic f12 or the pl200. I have heard bic f12 in dual and done dual tests with pl200-II as well. Both were awesome in dual. So if ur going dual go bic. If single then go for the xtz 12.17. If u don’t want budget subs then note bic comes under budget sub and in us is treated as one of the best budget and entry level sub for HT.
10 inch or 12 inch.
It depends on the Max SPL a sub can generate.
Which varies from brand to brand.

Dear FMs,

Since SVS is in your budget, do consider Rythmik too. Have heard good reviews about this brand.

Budget subs start from 15k onwards.....Pioneer, Yamaha and Taga and some models of BIC America.....as you cross 28k and more....you get then mid segment models and brands of subs.....what may be the best sub for me will be the worst for you as many factors need to be taken into account....if you can borrow and experiment subs for a couple of days..you can then make a good decision to go for the best sub as per your requirements.

If you have plans to add a second sub, then BIC is the way to go. If you want to have just one Sub, SVS should be able to do it. Well, there can be a second SVS too, but it wouldn't be a necessity.

I use my PB1000 in a 12x16 hall with a 7 feet opening to a similarly sized dining area. Do not feel the need to add another sub.

MaSh

If you have plans to add a second sub, then BIC is the way to go. If you want to have just one Sub, SVS should be able to do it. Well, there can be a second SVS too, but it wouldn't be a necessity.

I use my PB1000 in a 12x16 hall with a 7 feet opening to a similarly sized dining area. Do not feel the need to add another sub.

MaSh
Rooms with openings benefit from lesser modal issues. That's why you are happy with one sub.

MaSh
Which brings us to the question
One large one or two smaller ones?

@Naturelover put a great question. Whatever I have read so far, people have suggested two medium are better than one large.

I was also thinking of two Yamaha NS200 vs a single BIC. Right now, I am not buying two if the amount exceeds 40k.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back