Bifocals, Progressive or Two separate glasses?

sachinchavan 15865

After having used spectacles for over ten years for reading, now I am also developing medium distance long-sightedness and it seems I’d need vision correction beyond just reading purpose.

I am wondering what option might work best? The two separate glasses is perhaps the one I am inclined to, but there’s always the chance that you leave one behind. Have heard some folks having issues with progressive (neither here nor there). Bifocals would mean a restricted head position while reading.

What have you other folks gone in for? Any tips to help make the decision? Specific suggestions on lens also welcome.

I recently tried progressive as i was finding it very difficult to read with glasses on.
Although i have major issues with eyes since birth i was told to try to progressive.

Absolutely did not work for me.

So if you have no problem carrying two pairs of glasses and changing them whenever you have to read i would say go for 2 different glasses

Thanks @argho ams @rikhav for sharing your experience with progressive lens. I suspected that as it would mean a very small sweet spot for any given distance. And might be painful to keep raising the head to read through them (or the bifocals) - I am so used to reading through the center of the lens right now.

As for carrying convenience, a case such as this which can house two frames might be worth considering (though it’d be bit bulky).

【2-in-1】Eyeglasses Case,Dual Glasses Case for Two Frames,Double Layer Hard Shell Protective Cases for glasses,Built in Mirror,Black Color for Women and Men https://amzn.eu/d/fn5SJZ1

I’d still like to hear from other FMs. Especially those who preferred/adjusted to progressive/bifocals - why and how they did it.

My parents both use progressive for more than a decade now and had not faced any particular issue's till date, always got them made from titan eye plus since its only 2kms from my house and also well within budget. Looking at prices for frames, blaming the audio industry for prices seems harsh

I've been using spectacles since 93 (long sight) and about a year or so ago developed short sight too and picked up progressive spectacles but it was just too uncomfortable and i couldn't use it at all, now I just manage seeing things closer by taking my regular glasses off, it's working so far with some difficulty and once I cannot manage i will have to pick up a separate short sight glasses

My parents both use progressive for more than a decade now and had not faced any particular issue's till date, always got them made from titan eye plus since its only 2kms from my house and also well within budget. Looking at prices for frames, blaming the audio industry for prices seems harsh
Bang on point about the prices, it's ridiculous the prices

Progressive anyday.
I started with bifocals. Never liked them.
Later shifted to progressive. Far, far better experience. No comparison at all.
But there is a lengthy period of getting used to them. Several days of constant use.
Once you get over that, there will be no looking back.

Frames and glasses have a wide range in prices. Go for a small optical store rather than a top brand one.

I use progressive. Just didn't drive for the first 4/5 days. After that I got used to it. I use regular powered sunglasses while driving, non-progressive. Don't face any issues with the GPS/ICE screen.

either go for 2 glasses or progressive. not bifocals

I need reading glasses for small text and have 3 pairs ( since i keep misplacing) one is a bifocal and others are pure reading glasses. I also have one of those 1/2 glasses in my office back which you can look over when not reading.

when I am doing serious reading I prefer the reading glasses . but for most work /email i prefer progressive due to the flexibility but takes some tome to get used to but once you do, its fine..you need to "Break in the Eye" ( and not the glasses)

Any specificvbrand os progressive because i have not gey used to the one over almost a yr. GOOD brands seems quite expensive.

My two bits

If normal D type bifocal are difficult to get used to, then keep searching for old opticians who have a vendor chain setup for their shop. You can ask for executive bifocals, this is half half full width lens, usually in glass. I get these made so that I have full wide range vision for the near distance vision. These won't be available in plastic as those lenses are made in factories who won't make one off lenses.

Never Used Glasses any Time Before : was prescribed progressive recently...
Changed 4 pairs from Local India to Nikon, Cryzal etc ,Finally Settled on Roddenstock. Which is Marginally Better.

Lenskart has a great service at no extra cost exchange and upgrades. Local experienced opticians are always preferred. I don't think I'm still adapted to Progressive completely but I am getting used to.

I have one for Movies and one dedicated for Reading kept at Reading Section. I have a bifocal to too, Bifocal are easy to get adjusted to, but the mid blurring is occasionally problematic. Adjusting to Progressive is the only viable option as I still play Cricket etc.

Progressive anyday.
I started with bifocals. Never liked them.
Later shifted to progressive. Far, far better experience. No comparison at all.
But there is a lengthy period of getting used to them. Several days of constant use.
Once you get over that, there will be no looking back.

Frames and glasses have a wide range in prices. Go for a small optical store rather than a top brand one.
Thanks @Naturelover and @arj. Can you dwell more on the specific adjustment your eyes had to make to get used to the progressives?

Also, those using progressives, which brands did you opt for? Asking because some progressive lenses might be more comfortable than others.

I am a progressive lens user for about 10 years now. Not very comfortable but I can manage I guess.

Keeping my tongue firmly in my cheek, this, according to me, is the best case scenario :-

A few years ago, my wife developed mild cataract in both eyes and was advised to get the eye lenses replaced. This was done with around a six month gap between the two operations. As a result, her distance vision is back to being perfect. She now uses only reading glasses whenever needed.

Since then, I have been waiting for cataract curse to hit me too. Unfortunately, .........

I am a progressive lens user for about 10 years now. Not very comfortable but I can manage I guess.

Keeping my tongue firmly in my cheek, this, according to me, is the best case scenario :-

A few years ago, my wife developed mild cataract in both eyes and was advised to get the eye lenses replaced. This was done with around a six month gap between the two operations. As a result, her distance vision is back to being perfect. She now uses only reading glasses whenever needed.

Since then, I have been waiting for cataract curse to hit me too. Unfortunately, .........
dude, c'mon
may your eyes stay healthy forever :)

Thanks @Naturelover and @arj. Can you dwell more on the specific adjustment your eyes had to make to get used to the progressives?

Also, those using progressives, which brands did you opt for? Asking because some progressive lenses might be more comfortable than others.
since you have two different lenses above and below ( in my case it progresses' from Plain glass to reading) you need to learn at what angle your eye needs to be to the object you are reading

For progressive since I had a frame I bought from the local eye-shop but I suspect there are one or 2 specialized vendors who do it and everyone just sends to them.
Other i bought from Lenskart..who have there own challenges in delivery as they come to scale but the product is good for the price

Everything appears wavy, expecially towards the sides and lower section.
You will walk gingerly and climbing down a staircase is especially difficult in the first few days.

Don't remember any brand names. The frames have been pretty inexpensive. The glasses have been good but at the lower end of the price range.
The last set I got was with photochromatic glasses and cost me Rs 7-8k.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back