Bifocals, Progressive or Two separate glasses?

From personal experience, I'd suggest getting Progressives. I've been using glasses from 2002. I needed reading glasses from 2017.

I initially bought separate reading glasses, but over the next year, I barely used them, and made my condition worse. It is a huge hassle to carry an extra pair of glasses, and keep switching them whenever you need to look at something on the laptop or worse, frequent peeks at the mobile. I live a fairly active lifestyle, and I simply could not manage carrying (and constantly swapping) reading glasses on my long cycling rides or treks.

I didn't get progressives initially because they were very expensive. I have eye corrections that require fairly expensive glasses for long distance, and making those lenses progressive makes the package quite expensive. But after a year, I got progressives, and that brought a lot of order and convenience to my life.

The key is to get progressives with a fairly wide active/transition area. The ones with the narrow area (the entry level ones) are not very usable.

There seems to be an even split for and against progressives. I have been using progressives for maybe 20 years now and while a good lens is very expensive I have realized that I don't really need a luxury brand frame so the overall cost is mitigated.

Haven't tried separate glasses don't think it would work for me. The idea of bifocals with 2 separate lenses does not appeal.

So there we are....

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your experiences and suggestions. As I’ve summarised the takeaways so far:

1. Progressives is the more appropriate permanent option for those needing varying degree of correction for short and long sights.

2. Not all progressives are the same. And the better ones would cost more. @hydra ’s suggestion on ‘wide active/transition area’ is very useful to differentiate.

3. They do take time and effort to adjust to. And not everyone feels comfortable even after that. Probably it’s interlinked with point 2 above. But can be checked for oneself only by trying it out. Would be a costly try out though.

4. Bifocals, especially the D type don’t find many takers. Probably an outdated option. The half-half bifocal might be a left field choice to consider.

5. Carrying two glasses is an obvious option. But depends highly on one’s use case as well as ability to remain organised. And diligence to keep putting the newer glasses (in my case the long distance one) back on.

I’d think about it further. But might as well try the ‘two glasses’ option first. If I realise i don’t juggle them well enough, I can then consider the best possible progressives to increase my chances of adapting to them.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your experiences and suggestions. As I’ve summarised the takeaways so far:

1. Progressives is the more appropriate permanent option for those needing varying degree of correction for short and long sights.

2. Not all progressives are the same. And the better ones would cost more. @hydra ’s suggestion on ‘wide active/transition area’ is very useful to differentiate.

3. They do take time and effort to adjust to. And not everyone feels comfortable even after that. Probably it’s interlinked with point 2 above. But can be checked for oneself only by trying it out. Would be a costly try out though.

4. Bifocals, especially the D type don’t find many takers. Probably an outdated option. The half-half bifocal might be a left field choice to consider.

5. Carrying two glasses is an obvious option. But depends highly on one’s use case as well as ability to remain organised. And diligence to keep putting the newer glasses (in my case the long distance one) back on.

I’d think about it further. But might as well try the ‘two glasses’ option first. If I realise i don’t juggle them well enough, I can then consider the best possible progressives to increase my chances of adapting to them.
I have been using progressives for last 6-7 years. Generally no major issues. I went for Titan Eyeplus where they charged a hefty amount (~18k in 2016) for my first one. IN recent years have been getting a far cheaper one from Specmakers.

I work in IT and have one problem. After I start wearing a progressive, in about an year, the "middle range" power changes - So while working in my computer I used to tilt my neck to see the screen through the bottom portion of the glasses. Over long periods, this introduced neck pain. So Dr suggested to use a plain glass for the computer work alone (which will also help me use the existing progressive for longer period).

Good progressive lens are little expensive.

For woking, I use something called office lens also called as work lenses. Lens that work from reading distance to upto 4 metres. You can restrict to 2 metres also. These give outstanding clarity and minimal distortion because the lens only have to work across a small distance as you move from the lower part of the lens to the upper.

Also use a mid level progressive lens for everyday outdoor use.

Progressive glass for me takes more than 1+ month to get used to. Even then, I find them difficult to use when getting down staircase and always will trip. I always remove my Progressive glasses when walking downstairs and sometimes even while driving. For reading and task workbi did not find any issues.

Next purchase will be two separate glass ( not plastic) spectacles with no so called coating. Plastic spectacles get scratched easily within 3 months, but glass spectacles don't get scratched. Only precautions required is you should not drop them on the floor. Otherwise they are long lasting. Also all coating on your glasses begin to fade within 4 months andvyou see patches on your glass making them useless after 6 monthscor so.

Moral of the story - never buy spectacles from the so called branded company as they sell only plastic lens. Only small time traditional vendor will have real glass lens and will be available at 1/3rd the cost.

After having used spectacles for over ten years for reading, now I am also developing medium distance long-sightedness and it seems I’d need vision correction beyond just reading purpose.

I am wondering what option might work best? The two separate glasses is perhaps the one I am inclined to, but there’s always the chance that you leave one behind. Have heard some folks having issues with progressive (neither here nor there). Bifocals would mean a restricted head position while reading.

What have you other folks gone in for? Any tips to help make the decision? Specific suggestions on lens also welcome.

I have been using progressive lenses for the last 10 + years. It takes 3-4 days to get used whenever I change the lenses. Rodenstock is my favourite (progressive and transition).

I have been using progressive for more than a decade. The only problem I faced was while driving but that too, for few days only.

After having used spectacles for over ten years for reading, now I am also developing medium distance long-sightedness and it seems I’d need vision correction beyond just reading purpose.

I am wondering what option might work best? The two separate glasses is perhaps the one I am inclined to, but there’s always the chance that you leave one behind. Have heard some folks having issues with progressive (neither here nor there). Bifocals would mean a restricted head position while reading.

What have you other folks gone in for? Any tips to help make the decision? Specific suggestions on lens also welcome.
Definitely Progressive.
However, as many mentioned, it may take a while to adjust.
Progressive comes in different forms, narrow corridor, medium corridor, wide corridor etc. Obviously wide corridor lens, with maximum usable area is must.
Optitian's role in prescription of the right progressive is vital. I use Acelor/Crizal custom lenses which has an automatic robotic device to map your field of vision and allocate the near field and far field areas customised to your own eyes. This is head and shoulders above the standard one-size-fits-all configurations. I got them from a big flagship Titan Eye showroom, but I came to know that now they are not offering the service anymore. You may try other big brand optitians in the city.
Never ever compromise on the quality of the lens. Presently a Acilor/Zeiss/Nikon with complex power and all coatings can be upto around 50K for the lenses only. That money would be totally well spent. I'm using glasses from the age of 9. When your world is filtered through two tiny glasses in front of your eyes, they better be the best you can afford, and then some.

. ....When your world is filtered through two tiny glasses in front of your eyes, they better be the best you can afford, and then some....
Very nice perspective. funnily thats what could be said about shoes as well ie when your entire weight is being borne by the shoe for as long as you do, makes sense to make sure they are the best ones for your feet !

Progressive all the way. The adjustment of the lens to the eyes depends on the quality of the lens. I have been using progressive glasses for more than a decade now. I can vouch for Essilor manufactured lens like Crizal, Varilux and apart from these Carl Zeisis is also one of the best. It should definitely be a wide corridor lens as another FM has suggested. Never compromise on the quality of the lenses. These lenses are definitely priced higher but the comfort it gives to your eyes cannot be compromised.

Imo, the choice between choosing a progressive and non-progressive lens depends on your type of error you are trying to compensate. Those having spherical number can do good with progressive lens. But for people having cylindrical number (like me) find difficult to adjust to progressive lens easily. Maybe only an ophthalmologist can confirm this.

Imo, the choice between choosing a progressive and non-progressive lens depends on your type of error you are trying to compensate. Those having spherical number can do good with progressive lens. But for people having cylindrical number (like me) find difficult to adjust to progressive lens easily. Maybe only an ophthalmologist can confirm this.
Cylindrical or spherical doesn't matter. I have strong astigmatism in both eyes, plus corneal scar on left. But using progressive for more than a decade. First attempt at using less expensive glasses didn't work, then switched to quality glasses.

I'm not an ophthalmologist, but a doctor in another speciality nevertheless 😀

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back