Blu-ray player better than oppo 93/ 95

anm

Is there any blu-ray player which is better than oppo?

1. video processing equal or better than oppo
2. audio processing equal or better than oppo 93 or 95
3. dual hdmi out
4. price less than oppo or equal
5. build quality better or same as oppo
6. media playback equal or better than oppo
7. supports NTFS
8. ISO PLAYBACK
9. ability to make region free with fw or hw mod.

Last edited:
"Gabbar ke taap se tumhe ek hi aadmi bacha sakta hai, ek hi aadmi, khud Gabbar"

jokes apart, Panasonic DMPBDT310 supports dual HDMI out but is on the low end side, on the high end side I think a comparable competitor of the oppo 95 is the Cambridge Audio 751BD as this review says (dual HDMI out ) Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD Blu-ray Universal Player Reviewed

However considering the price you are willing to pay, unless you have large non HD collection like DVD etc which you do not wish to upgrade top BD rather use a better upscaling player then I thinlk people look for oppo, otherwise if BD playback solely is concerned then I do not think spending all that money is worth unless you are obsessed with the brand.

Pioneer BDP LX-55 has dual HDMI - one exclusively for audio and the other for both audio and video. It plays SACD and DVDA. Plays files from HDD but not ISO. Is around 19K in Chennai (when I checked a couple of months ago).

Regds

will the video engine be of no use for br playback?

It does make an impact in terms of correction abilities, but frankly not many would use them. You may use it for initial calibration, but post that doing it is a task. Also, many of the corrections can be done at the display level too either with TV's or projectors.

Upscaling is a big usage esp. with 720p rips being half the size of 1080p rips so it makes an impact.

There is no blu ray player that could match the stereo quality of oppo 95 unless you double the budget, CA will wet its pant in front of oppo 95 when its comes to stereo SQ

There is no blu ray player that could match the stereo quality of oppo 95 unless you double the budget, CA will wet its pant in front of oppo 95 when its comes to stereo SQ

Absolutely Agree

OPPO 95
SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the worlds best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industrys highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output

As I mentioned in my Onida sale post, below a 55 inch TV it is difficult to say how much of a benefit in BD playback a Oppo gives..at the same point of time, as mentioned by others, the upscaling/enhancement capabilities are immense when playing DVDs/MKV files (both 720p and 1080p), and they are quite apparent on my 42" screen when I see it from a 6 ft. distance

wetting pants is a good or a bad thing? :D
BTW, is your comment based on reading specs, or have you actually heard both of them?
How about marantz ud5005 and 7006? Denon? CA? Panasonic? Sony?

As I mentioned in my Onida sale post, below a 55 inch TV it is difficult to say how much of a benefit in BD playback a Oppo gives..at the same point of time, as mentioned by others, the upscaling/enhancement capabilities are immense when playing DVDs/MKV files (both 720p and 1080p), and they are quite apparent on my 42" screen when I see it from a 6 ft. distance

I play on a 106" projector screen or on 50" full HD plasma. I sit at 12 ft. My projector currently is 720p Panasonic but I intend to change it, a little later though - let us say 6 months down the line.
So let us say if I HAVE to buy a BDP today - that replaces my CDP and a media player, is oppo 95 the best option or are there alternatives?

I see less value these days in an external DAC.

Oppo is very good for blu ray, thats straightforward and you just need to change your projector. But when it comes to sound quality (especially the stereo) you may have to ask yourself, how good are your speakers ? I am asking this because I have never had the opportunity to hear how JBL n38 sounds, its quite possible that the oppo 95 could out class the average quality speakers (its that good), so its possible that your player will produce much more quality sound than what your speakers are capable of delivering

wetting pants is a good or a bad thing? :D
BTW, is your comment based on reading specs, or have you actually heard both of them?
How about marantz ud5005 and 7006? Denon? CA? Panasonic? Sony?

I have heard them playing back to back, even with some dedicated CD players, oppo wins it hands down.

Sony ? :eek:hyeah: they have to go back to the white board to compete with oppo 95

I play on a 106" projector screen or on 50" full HD plasma. I sit at 12 ft. My projector currently is 720p Panasonic but I intend to change it, a little later though - let us say 6 months down the line.
So let us say if I HAVE to buy a BDP today - that replaces my CDP and a media player, is oppo 95 the best option or are there alternatives?

I see less value these days in an external DAC.

Since you just added the media player into the mix, I don't think there is anything but the Oppo 95 for your requirement. I am using my Oppo-93, and it plays every mkv I have thrown at it till now, supports NTFS drives...so apart from playing BD-ISOs it does bloody everything a standard media player does...

Oppo is very good for blu ray, thats straightforward and you just need to change your projector. But when it comes to sound quality (especially the stereo) you may have to ask yourself, how good are your speakers ? I am asking this because I have never had the opportunity to hear how JBL n38 sounds, its quite possible that the oppo 95 could out class the average quality speakers (its that good), so its possible that your player will produce much more quality sound than what your speakers are capable of delivering

updated the signature. Speakers changed to thiel 1.6 and I find them quite good. The current pairing with C375 is on warmer side, so I want something that can tighten up the bass a little, without making the setup sound thin or bright. I still have to try the cables suggested by BLASTO that removed some boom.

How much is Oppo 93 and how to procure it from NCR? Is importing a better option? I do intend to get a mod kit for it.

updated the signature. Speakers changed to thiel 1.6 and I find them quite good. The current pairing with C375 is on warmer side, so I want something that can tighten up the bass a little, without making the setup sound thin or bright. I still have to try the cables suggested by BLASTO that removed some boom.

NAD + Anything will be on the warmer side.. :D
I currently use straightwire for speaker cable (to be fair, I have tried the well acclaimed chord silver screen and they were warm and had trces of boom).

If you want the cables, I can get a pair and send you if you do not get them locally.

Additionally Mr Murthy's IC cable turned out to be perfect match for the above mentioned speaker cables.

The combo works out quite well though ICs like the DAC PCOCC, Nordost etc make the sound too thin. So it also depends on the IC.

While I was reading this thread I am listening to Marantz-High-End Audiophile Test Demo SACD 14th Edition, on my Oppo BDP-95, received on Saturday. I am sending DSD through HDMI to Denon 4311 and my speakers are Wharfedale 9.1 with 2 SW150s.Surprise is I am enjoying this SACD the max as if this is the best. This is one of the best listens so far.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back