Blu ray player buffering issue

vybhav1908

Hello Geeks.. I am facing a little problem with my setup, below are the details and I am looking for your advice:

Requirement: Watch movies over my Sony blu ray player in mkv format (or any other) having file size above 3GB

Setup:
Sony blu ray player BDP-S370, Samsung LED TV
I use PS3 Media Server on my PC as a media server for audio/video. Cisco 150 mbps wifi router and Asus 300 mbps wifi repeater/bridge extending cisco's network. The blu ray player and TV are connected to this repeater/bridge via LAN cables.

Issues:
1. Whenever I play any video file above 3.5 GB, coming from media server on my sony blu ray player it doesn't play smooth. It pauses for 15 seconds & plays for 2 seconds and this continues. I see some buffering issues here. However, if I play the same file over my TV (coming from same PS3 media server) it plays smooth. But I would like my blu ray player to be able to play this as the sound quality I get when my TV plays it is not as good. I know my router bandwidth is good enough since the TV is able to play the same. Any idea how I could correct this? Blu ray player setting or a new media server who takes care of such buffering issues?

2. Sony blu ray supports only FAT32 USB flash drives so I can't put files beyond 4GB, is there any good recommended tool to split a file (subtitles as well) so that they can be played individually?

Please help on this..:)

Vaibhav

First you should try connecting the media server to the BD player over direct ethernet connection and see if the buffering persists. If not then it is definitely due to connection speed where you might end up upgrading your router to 300 (since your wifi adapter is 300 capable already). If the buffering is present even with wired (since you said same setup makes TV playback of same media perfect) then there can be two possibilities either your BDP cannot handle the bitrate of the file which you can check by trying various other file formats of similar sizes if those pass or it can be an issue with your BDP is having a UPNP profile presented to media server which is causing the media server to believe that BDP does not support a specific format thereby it is trying to transcode on the fly. You can verify this by running the task manager to see cpu utilization for a file when it is playable vs not playable. Which media server and what pc configuration are you having>?

I think the simple explanation is that for your tv the server is transcoding to a lower bitrate format. While for your blu ray its trying to send high bitrate stuff which your wifi cannot handle.
Before you make any hardware changes, please try out universal media server. It has the ability to send the highest quality supported by your connection.

universal media server
Thanks I did not know about this one earlier

I use Serviio that too can adjust bitrate depending on network bandwidth. However even there also find stuttering for very few videos where the CPU of my NAS box falls short of power and hence that possibility cannot be ruled out for the vybhav. All my devices are on GB Lan

I had tried serviio some time back, but found UMS more reliable in serving content properly. To be fair, I made no tweaks to serviio while I have made tweaks to UMS, especially the renderer config files.

If OP's system is not upto the mark, then ofcourse all this is useless. But given that his TV can play it but bdp can't likely means thats not a problem. BDP would support more formats and should need less transcoding by server.

Two things could be problematic here.
1: Network bandwidth + intereference.
2: Transcoding time taken by the server.

Since the file sizes are around 4 gb, I think you don't have a need to transcode the media. Have you tried simple windows sharing? That might simply work.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back