Bolton fullrange drivers

Hi Sachin,

I explained you abt these drivers should have added that info also with them.

@ Sarith you are really Lucky to have them but with which type of Magnet ?

@ Yogi "Just my rough estimate would put them at at least 10,000Hz to 60Hz freq response" its the other way around buddy !
@ Sann post your Philips speakers we could do something with them instead of building another set of TL's.

@ Sumanta join us build a pair of TL's for yourself trust me you'll be blown away with the Sound quality you end up keeping OB's in store room for sure.

@ Shafic nice Advice.

@ Jls001 yeah !

Last edited:
Hi Sachin,

I explained you abt these drivers should have added that info also with them.

@Jls001 yeah !

Your posts regarding Bolton and Cosmic are the reason we bought those Bolton drivers :D
I am also seeking help from you regarding enclosure for Hi Q drivers:)
I am adding info here which I got from you.
According to Danieljohn they are used for instrument drivers or PA, and TL design suggested considering high resonant Fs.

Regards
Sachin

Thanks Sachin ! :p

Same design [which I sent you & Posted in TL Considerations thread ]applies to all speaker drivers.

Not just that you are lucky to have Whizzer cone K Series drivers cuz these must be some special batch made for some company actually they come with just a Alloy dome.

Danieljohn
Your posts regarding Bolton and Cosmic are the reason we bought those Bolton drivers

Apart from Cosmic hardcore lover, he is one of the knowledgeable person about 'Alnico' magnet drivers too. Only a 'Cosmic' lover (like me:eek:hyeah:) understand his feelings.

regds,
shafic

Whizzer cones

Does the whizzer cone have a separate winding on the voice coil and moves indepandantly or is there a single voice coil and the cones are attached to the same?

Gopal

Hey Shafic !

Bcuz you gave Goodmans "Alnico" Speakers to us ? :lol:

Even thou I said No ! :(

@ Gopal few very Sophisticated Fullrange drivers did/still Use the First setup but these are the latter type.

BTW Have you checked PM's cuz I replyed.

Last edited:
A pair of 10 inch alnicos that I possess. Not however sure about the ideal enclosure volume to use as full range drivers. The model is Tonegan Orion PH-10

Last edited:
@sann,
I have been using the Bostons Hi Q 8 Inches for about a year. These are similar to the philips Hi Qs. I know ,for the low end grunt, these drivers depend largely on the cabinet design.But, due to lack of resource and knowledge with regards to TL,PORTED etc.( not to forget WAF!!)

I experimented these drivers as a sub -sat combo. Pls note that for satellite, i didnt use a crossover and used it as such with the Miniref 1875 amplifier. I used an off shelf cabinet ,completely sealed it, and heavilly stuffed with polyfill.(my intention was to get a acoustically dead cabinet with zero resonance).As a small time diyer with no measuring equipments, I largely rely on the ear. After such dampening, the cabinet resonance became almost nil and there was a midrange magic. This driver adds emotion to the voice and life to the instrumental timbres.

The sub I use is a humble F&D A520. ( A side note-I never thought that chinese stuff are for serious hifi,but this little gem completely changed my view. As its said, one cannot judge a book by its cover.!!!)

Now, my sonic experience with the following gear.,Onida DVD player- DIY 3 band baxandall ( Randy Slone's design.) tone control-miniref power amp(DIY again !!)-Boston Hi Q with the above mentioned sub. This combo has several advantages.I am a DIYer with a non engineering backgroud. So excuse/correct me if i am technically wrong.

1. Miniref 1875 amp,being a current pump amplifier, has its own merits with regards to driving High sensitive fullrangers. ( loads of information from nelson pass article available.)
Its as if the loudspeaker cone movement is sensed/controlled by the amp, which results in perfect attack/decay.

2. Whizzer cone/ Midrange shout,is a known disadvantage in these type of FRs, which can be well tamed/tuned to our liking with Active tone control.

3. The soundstaging and coherence from Single fullranger drivers is something which has to felt/heard rather than described. Almost most of us , who vouch for Fullrangers, would have been using a two way/ three way previously.Once this fullrange bug has bitten me, I found its impossible to go back to 2 way/3 way with crossovers. (IMHO)

Hi Sachin,

@ Sumanta join us build a pair of TL's for yourself trust me you'll be blown away with the Sound quality you end up keeping OB's in store room for sure.

I already have TL in my piped speaker. It is good but, nothing ever could beat OB in my listening room.
And these so called FRs work well in OB.

I already have TL in my piped speaker. It is good but, nothing ever could beat OB in my listening room.
And these so called FRs work well in OB.

Jamo Reference r909 was an OB design I guess with large woofers. I remember reading it in AV max few years ago. That edition of mag could still be in the pile av mags I have stored.

OK, so what would be the best cabinet for this pair that I have? They're Philips 8 Inch full rangers.

K9jpWEI.jpg

77M2su6.jpg

I have recently got same Hi Q driver. We have tested it in 40lt bass reflex design. It sounds very good. Experienced members here and another forums suggested TL for it.

I have another 6.5" Philips full range pair. They sound much better than Philips 8" but I could not get any info abut them.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
I have recently got same Hi Q driver. We have tested it in 40lt bass reflex design. It sounds very good. Experienced members here and another forums suggested TL for it.

I have another 6.5" Philips full range pair. They sound much better than Philips 8" but I could not get any info abut them.

Regards
Sachin

Sachin,

I and Josh have the same Philips 8' FR drivers with brown cones.

regds,
shafic.

Yes!! I have few 6' Philips FR speakers in 'cubic' boxes. I have to check the ohms. I think they are 600 ohms speakers.

Also I have two pairs of Philips 8' 9710 Alnico ones. Those are 650 ohms and 350 ohms pairs w/o cabs. Planning for my Philips OTL amps.

OTL amp coming alive - and with output trannies, too - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Those 6' speakers which you have are very good ones. You can make a small TL cabs ( like Akai SW 30). Pls check the ohms.

regds,
shafic

Hi Sumanta

A cabinet for a full range is a lot more difficult to implement than a OB.

A well designed full ranger sounds very good.

I have owned a OB in the past.
Audio Artistry Beethoven loudspeaker system | Stereophile.com

Its probably one of the finest OB speakers designed.

At present i have the Rethm Saadhanas which are better in some respects over the OB, especially in terms of coherence, immediacy and micro dynamics whereas the OB had more scale and better bass but thats natural since there were four 12 inch drivers.

I completely agree with sumanta,that OB gives the natural sound. If space is not a constraint, OB is definitely worth trying

Sumanta, great build, of course the most natural sound could only come from OBs.

By the way, beautiful vivid pictures on the second link. I really liked the sharpness in focus. Superlative ! Would you tell us which camera you used?

Thanks, am an immature photographer, started from Ashai Pentax in 1980's and now a Nikon D90.

Thanks in tons for so kind appreciation.
Photos in my photo related blog are from
1) Sony NEX3 with kit or some old Pentax or Russian lenses
2) Canon G5
3) Pentax K20D for older posts for year 2011 and earlier

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back