Bolton fullrange drivers

Hi Sumanta

A cabinet for a full range is a lot more difficult to implement than a OB.

A well designed full ranger sounds very good.

I have owned a OB in the past.
Audio Artistry Beethoven loudspeaker system | Stereophile.com

Its probably one of the finest OB speakers designed.

At present i have the Rethm Saadhanas which are better in some respects over the OB, especially in terms of coherence, immediacy and micro dynamics whereas the OB had more scale and better bass but thats natural since there were four 12 inch drivers.

Now I wonder how wonderful Rethm Sadhans are! I was in Mumbai last week for just a night, but still feel sad to loose an opportunity to listen to such speakers.
Those Beethovens are truly wonderful in looks. And you already informed their performance.

The very first two reasons for me to go for OB was the ease and economy of having OB speakers.

Hi Sumanta, drop in the next time you are in Mumbai. You can mail me a day before

The Beethovens were fabulous. They were Linkwitz first design. Drivers were specifically designed for them. Unfortunately these drivers were never made available to public by Scan Speak

Last edited:
Sumanta, try and build an OB with Lowther alnico full ranger and Tone Tubby 12 inch for bass. They should sound fabulous. You can use a First Watt F5 to drive them

I had only mentioned Tone tubby in the Altecs thread. That's what is recommended by the experts. Drivers like Altecs and Lowther are fast drivers. Most woofers cannot keep pace with them. The Tone tubby is one of the few that is fast and matches the Lowther or the Altecs tonally.

You can google for enclosures.

No fast means things like transient speed,etc. Sensitivity will determine how powerful an amp you need. For example I use a 102 db speaker. So I can manage with a 2.5 watt amp

In 8" Size I'll Suggest Iwai Fullrange Speakers which are 4 Ohm [ TL friendly] with a Fantastic 98 dB Sensitivity its 5 dB more than Boston's.:licklips:

DCR of iwai drivers with me is 7.6 ohms, so they are 8 ohms impedence. Also these are rated at 15 watts against 25 watts of Boston.

Regards,

Sumanta, try and build an OB with Lowther alnico full ranger and Tone Tubby 12 inch for bass. They should sound fabulous. You can use a First Watt F5 to drive them

I still lean towards Indian drivers only (Ahuja or Philips) for cost point of view.

How much these Lowther and Tone tubby frivers will cost in India?

I have many hobbies and so I try to keep my dead investments in skeleton shapes only:)

DCR of iwai drivers with me is 7.6 ohms, so they are 8 ohms impedence. Also these are rated at 15 watts against 25 watts of Boston.

Regards,

These are mostly used with Low Power simple Single Stage Amplifiers like FW or SET so Sensitivity matters not Max power rating:)

I found this Iwai 4 Ohm driver in this link Iwai Electronics Pvt. Ltd. check ther is no 8 Ohm version & post you 8 Ohm drivers.

Hi Sumanta

Lowthers are expensive. The vintage Philips full rangers are nice

Yes!! I have few 6' Philips FR speakers in 'cubic' boxes. I have to check the ohms. I think they are 600 ohms speakers.

Mine are 8 Ohms. Kindly check your model no. 600, 800 Ohms Philips speakers intended to use with Valve radios.

Regards
Sachin

600, 800 Ohms Philips speakers intended to use with Valve radios.

Not all. Some exceptions too. The 9710 AM (which I have) Alnico 8' FR drivers are meant for their Philips OTL amplifiers. Will post the pics soon.

regds,
shafic

Not all. Some exceptions too. The 9710 AM (which I have) Alnico 8' FR drivers are meant for their Philips OTL amplifiers. Will post the pics soon.

regds,
shafic
Kindly post few pics for 6" speakers. I am not experienced, still learning about speakers:)

Regards
Sachin

I saw two HiQ Philips FRs in one shop today, he said he can sell the pair for 800 rupees. Paper are of dark grey colour, condition is good.

These are mostly used with Low Power simple Single Stage Amplifiers like FW or SET so Sensitivity matters not Max power rating:)

I found this Iwai 4 Ohm driver in this link Iwai Electronics Pvt. Ltd. check ther is no 8 Ohm version & post you 8 Ohm drivers.

Hi!
The info on the iwai site is incorrect. They have interchanged the ohms specs between the 8" and 4" drivers. The 4" drivers are 8 ohms in reality. I had informed Mr. Prabhakar, the sales manager about this, but no action has been taken at there end. I can post a pic with a multimeter attached but there is no branding on the magnet to identify the driver as iwai.

25 watts power handling allows the speakers to be used with a wider range of amps. In fact we now have an even more powerful version under test at the moment:)

Regards,

Hi!
The info on the iwai site is incorrect. They have interchanged the ohms specs between the 8" and 4" drivers. The 4" drivers are 8 ohms in reality. I had informed Mr. Prabhakar, the sales manager about this, but no action has been taken at there end. I can post a pic with a multimeter attached but there is no branding on the magnet to identify the driver as iwai.

25 watts power handling allows the speakers to be used with a wider range of amps. In fact we now have an even more powerful version under test at the moment:)

Regards,

Hi,

You are right abt Ohms being interchanged thanks for your effort to correct their fault.

Power handling is a good thing but to enjoy Pure Class-A region of most Class-AB amplifiers in their first few watts a High Sensitivity Fullrange is very desirable than a high power rated one.:)

Best Regards,

Last edited:
IMG-20150111-WA0030_zpscpu2fxmc.jpeg

cabinet build started.

San

I hope that is not exterior grade mdf

They seem stronger but are not great for cabinet builds and don't take kindly to screws as well

@ Danial john,

Sir, I have a pair of Cosmic 2 way speakers. These speakers are producing nice sound according to my ears. With my Marantz 1060 they are singing. I suspect the mid-range driver is CORAL. Can you identify these, pls?

Here is the link. They are looking like same. May be they are CORAL 8' II.

Coral Speakers

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back