Bolton fullrange drivers

sann

IMG-20150105-WA0012_zpsreyxynoe.jpeg

I recently acquired Bolton 20BF22, 8" fullrange drivers.
There is no specification available on the web. Does anybody know / has measured their TS parameters? Also please suggest a cabinet design for them. Will TWQT be a good idea?
Regards,
~sann

They are not that Sensitive ! :eek:hyeah:

@ Yogi what are these expresssions "juice them fully Milk the FLs" Man ? :lol:

Last edited:
IMG-20150105-WA0012_zpsreyxynoe.jpeg

I recently acquired Bolton 20BF22, 8" fullrange drivers.
There is no specification available on the web. Does anybody know / has measured their TS parameters? Also please suggest a cabinet design for them. Will TWQT be a good idea?
Regards,
~sann

Nice find sandeep!!

Are they Alnico ones?. Supposed to be very good FR speakers, Congrats.:clapping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j5_cpkpBk4

I Suggest TL's & Could you post rear side pics also.:)
Thanks Danieljohn, I have temporarily put them in Philips HiQ cabinets, which is ~27L bottom ported, and these drivers are showing their potential, however lower mids are sounding muddy and lows are a bit boomy, they are demanding a better place to live and sing.
Will post the back side pic.
Are they Alnico ones?.
Thanks Shafic, no they are ferrite, never knew that bolton also used alnico's
Had they been 12", the "Audio Nirvaana" would be in hand.
Even if these have great sensitivity like 100 dB or more, the tube amp will do wonders !
Thanks yogibear, I have an eye on the bigger Bolton FR's :) as Danieljohn said they are not that sensitive, I feel they are around ~93 db, similar to Philips 8" FR's, I am currently driving them with a 4W SET amp.

Last edited:
@Sachin thou Bolton did not made Alnico drivers but their Sister Company "Grace" did it.;)

@ Shafic the link you posted is thou of our other FM's but they are Different from these not just in size but in lot of things.:eek:hyeah:

In 8" Size I'll Suggest Iwai Fullrange Speakers which are 4 Ohm [ TL friendly] with a Fantastic 98 dB Sensitivity its 5 dB more than Boston's.:licklips:

Congrats on your find sann. I had my hands on a 12" nos but there wasn't a pair and the dealer who had it, scrapped it few days later. He had a 12" and a 10" fullrange and a 12" woofer. I bought the woofer.

I had a pair of 6" with blue cone and white whizzer in a ported box paired with philips dome tweeter and connected to a hexfet amp.

Sound wise I would say, it's different. Though I got good money, I kinda regret selling it. Never got my hands on another pair till date.

Well, the more I regret is on not buying a nos big magnet Bolton subwoofer with a rugged green colour cone with larger than normal surround. A police man who actually heard me testing it bought it as soon as I left the shop.

I recently got these 12" Bolton Full range drivers. They are yet to reached me though.
Any info regarding these drives would be helpful:

Regards
Sachin

Is there some sort of a full range driver revival happening while I'm slumbering?;)

Thanks, that looks good, but I am looking to make big enclosures as I don't want to use stands for bookshelves.

Regards
Sachin

Sann, if you are fine with no bass but just best of the midrange, you could put them in open baffle.

In those cabinets of yours, you can also try varying the length of the port tube and hear the difference. It may turn out to be the simplest and fastest way to enjoy them.

I have a 8" open baffle ready which I had made for wild burrow betsey drivers, I could try these in that.

The Philips cabinet I am using currently just has a 5x3" rect. slit at the bottom which is covered by a thick cloth from inside, it doesnt have any port tube. I dont know whether all HiQ cabs were like that or I am using something different.

Join me in as another full range fanatic!! Boston HI Q (previously Philips HI q) is my present obsession!!!

Great to hear that, I have recently acquired old (~20 years) Philips make 8" FR's. They have very addictive mid range. Which cabinet you have put them in?

I have 2 hiq Philips 8 inch. I am yet to try them in OB. I will make OB only with them.

Great to hear that, I have recently acquired old (~20 years) Philips make 8" FR's. They have very addictive mid range. Which cabinet you have put them in?

I have a pair of old Philips 8" fullrange with whizzer cone. sweet is the word. Working on mounting it on almost 2 feet tall Philips box from the early 90's along with an old Philips dome. The box isn't exactly deep or say seem to have enough depth compared to today's box, but sounds good.

I have a pair of old Philips 8" woofers which I intend to use as 'bass woofers'. For a 8" woofer with normal sized magnets, they seem to handle bass and watts well. Intention is to make a 2+2.1 (5 channel amp). Subwoofer could be 10" or 12" Bolton or a 12" paper cone speaker, all of them nos.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back