Bought a Pioneer vsx 817 Dts 7.1 av receiver second hand for 10k

Donivlapog

The seller demoed it with a 5.0 and he claims subwoofer will work well if connected. It does not have an hdmi out slot - only two optical outs. I don't require more than that and besides there are no AVRs for less than 60k these days. Is it a good deal. I will be pairing in a week taga harmony TAV 807 and a subwoofer also taga. Is it a good buy?

The seller demoed it with a 5.0 and he claims subwoofer will work well if connected. It does not have an hdmi out slot - only two optical outs. I don't require more than that and besides there are no AVRs for less than 60k these days. Is it a good deal. I will be pairing in a week taga harmony TAV 807 and a subwoofer also taga. Is it a good buy?
If you are using it only for music then fine. But for movies HDMI is required for HD or 4K content.

And watch what ? Decade old DVDs ? Because it won’t process HD , forget about Blu Rays or 4K.

It says Built-in DTS-ES™/DTS 96/24/DTS NEO:6/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoders. Maybe some loss in audio but hope it is a better upgrade compared to a htib?

It says Built-in DTS-ES™/DTS 96/24/DTS NEO:6/Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoders. Maybe some loss in audio but hope it is a better upgrade compared to a htib?
These sound formats are for sd video res (dvd) 720 X 576. You may perhaps like the sound but it won't be like a hdmi connection .
Imho, 10k for this is a bit more considering today's formats. But nevertheless enjoy it since you have already purchased it & better not to think more about it.

Will it atleast be better than a htib?
Should be - as I do think your 5.1 should work in most places - though I can't say for sure.

I also believe - and waiting for more technical peeps to chime in - that if you connect it all to your TV (BR player/streamer etc) and then take the audio out to the AVR - it might work better for you.

If no HDMI out, how are you going to connect your AVR to the TV ?
Should be - as I do think your 5.1 should work in most places - though I can't say for sure.

I also believe - and waiting for more technical peeps to chime in - that if you connect it all to your TV (BR player/streamer etc) and then take the audio out to the AVR - it might work better for you.

Agree. This seems to be the only way to make it work.

Good luck on audio delays, I wouldn't touch a AVR without 4k.

There was a Marantz AVR on this classifieds forum for a steal. I myself was thinking of getting it! Just to have a spare one.

Actually all OLX offers were defective when I went and saw for myself. So I decided for this price point having a hdmi less receiver which is in good shape is worth it. I will have it hooked to taga harmoni which might tag team like a charm. Let me see.

There is a possibility. If you can provide pictures of the back of the avr I can make a rational suggestion which can help you use your AVR to the fullest.
I am.assuming that your AVR has analogue 5.1 inputs. Then buy the convex Blu Ray player for sale on this forum and connect it thru analogue cables. I hope the convex player will decode upto DTS HD MASTER AUDIO and you are done for the best bang for your buck.
I am doing the same. Send the hdmi video direct to the tv and audio thru analogue.
People tend to forget that 4k upscaling or hdmi is not completely necessary for a good experience though you will miss Atmos and dts x. An AVR primarily is for audio you don't strictly need video upscaling on it. Then why is a tv upscaler built into any tv? :)

I have an old Panasonic plasma (non 4K) that hosts a fire stick on one HDMI port.
Firestick has all the OTT apps loaded on them. OPT out of TV to a soundbar that supports basic Dolby/DTS.
I have also tried the OPT out to a 20 year old Onkyo receiver with 5.1 speakers
They both work just fine

If you TV has HDMI, connect the sources to TV and take OPT out to AVR.
Newer TVs will do all the fancy video stuff. Just take the audio out to AVR via OPT.

Cheers,
Raghu

Man this is in a really beat-up condition :( you sure you want to buy this ?
check the link I shared it is in superb condition
I already bought it. Plus the one you said is from West Bengal and going for such low price I don't want to take a risk, this one I bought from a seller living just 1 km away, I had tested it myself.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back