Bought a Pioneer vsx 817 Dts 7.1 av receiver second hand for 10k

The seller demoed it with a 5.0 and he claims subwoofer will work well if connected. It does not have an hdmi out slot - only two optical outs. I don't require more than that and besides there are no AVRs for less than 60k these days. Is it a good deal. I will be pairing in a week taga harmony TAV 807 and a subwoofer also taga. Is it a good buy?
You can enjoy sound better than what you get from the TV. Connect the digital out of the TV to a digital in of the AVR. The AVR also has component video in and component video out (3 terminals blue, green and red). See page 11 of your manual. You can also enjoy good video quality from DVD player and Blu-Ray player if your player has component video out. Component video also gives as much resolution as 1920x1080 (HD). Check if your TV has component video input. Also if you have DVD, Blu-Ray player without HDMI, check if they have component video out.

To get surround sound, connect from the source to the AVR using either an optical cable or an RCA cable for SPDIF signals.

Rs 10,000 is nothing. It is like eating pizza 10 times. So enjoy and do RTFM

1644121029732.png

Last edited:
Not here to spoil the party, but there are two lines of Pioneer. VSX and LX, both have 800 series.
VSX is the mid tier line or can say entry level one but better version.

I owned the VSX 834, that was very good for stereo too.

Yes I meant both Series...800 onwards are usually the better models to have. Likewise in Marantz NR vs SR...SR definitely better. For Denon 2000 series onwards.

Mr.Harwin, (Volumate) Installed the complete chain - 817 paired with Micca 0o0 7.0 plus taga dual subwoofers using Y connecting pin with measurement taken between the speakers and manual calibration. Got to watch some sample BRD clips, the videos spang to life. Total which included the second hand AVR and the speakers plus dual subs plus a 1kva UPS plus installation charges all worked out to Rs.97000. Roughly the cost of Denon 550 BT plus Polk TL 1600.

The AVR has good power but lacks modern day features. For instance if continuously loud scenes are played non stop, it does not reduce the volume as modern day AVR s do. Instead it mutes the speakers to protect them.

Mr.Harwin, (Volumate) Installed the complete chain - 817 paired with Micca 0o0 7.0 plus taga dual subwoofers using Y connecting pin with measurement taken between the speakers and manual calibration. Got to watch some sample BRD clips, the videos spang to life. Total which included the second hand AVR and the speakers plus dual subs plus a 1kva UPS plus installation charges all worked out to Rs.97000. Roughly the cost of Denon 550 BT plus Polk TL 1600.

The AVR has good power but lacks modern day features. For instance if continuously loud scenes are played non stop, it does not reduce the volume as modern day AVR s do. Instead it mutes the speakers to protect them.

Nice to hear that the setup is good and within your budget. The speakers after 20-40 hours of use will break in as in adjust well and playback well.

The AVR is an old model so will perform as per technology which prevailed in those years. You should focus on getting the best from it and I am sure within due course the speakers will adjust itself with the AVR and perform optimally.

I know most of us have this tendency of expecting too soon and playing loud (testing limits) whenever we get some new device at home, my suggestion is to use the same at moderate levels till the speakers +avr settles / blends with each other. Later you can try experimenting more settings etc

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back