Bought my first Home Theatre System !

rahuljonline

It's been a year since I joined work after passing out from college, and within a year, I was able to realise the dream of a Home Theatre. I feel awesome today.
So, after a lot of research for months, and lots of inputs from HIFIVISION members, I finally pulled the trigger today.
I got Onkyo's TX-SR508 7.1 Ch AVR, along with SKS-HT728 5.1 Speaker package, for a price of Rs. 42,500 from Promises, Kolkata.
I bought the price down from 47 to 42.5 after a lot of bargaining etc, and the person was very nice and courteous. The fact that I had done my research (thanks to HIFIVISION) and new each model spec spec, helped me bargain better.
The baby's have arrived and tomorrow is the day of installation, but I just can't wait to listen to them. I'm very excited.
The Wharfedale Moviestar, and Paradigm Cinema, both were sold out. The only other option was Polk 6750 and Yamaha 465, but the onkyos somehow sounded better, infact, the sub was a lot better here.
So, here I am waiting anxiously for tomorrow, will soon post the pics, once they are installed.
A big thank you to all the forum members.
So here's what I bought in a year:
1. 50" LG PQ60 (last october)
2. Playstation 2
3. WD TV Live (+1 TB Seagate external Storage for myself+ 1TB WD Storage for my brother)
4. The Onkyos (today :D)

I'm so excited, my whole setup is complete now (well... almost...:rolleyes:)

Do you think I should use a UPS battery back up with it. I'll connect both the plasma and the HT with it. I already have one that runs my old PC, that I dont use much.

The first thing I'm gonna try is the Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon DTS 5.1 DVD Audio Disc, Followed by The Doors - Perception DVD Audio Box Set 5.1 DTS... Woohoo!!!!

Do you think I should use a UPS battery back up with it. I'll connect both the plasma and the HT with it. I already have one that runs my old PC, that I dont use much.

Both Plasma and the HT would require lot of power, so even if you connect
your UPS battery backup, it may not help your TV and HT to run long.
How long it would run on UPS would depend on your UPS capacity and the
power requirements of your TV and HT.

Both Plasma and the HT would require lot of power, so even if you connect
your UPS battery backup, it may not help your TV and HT to run long.
How long it would run on UPS would depend on your UPS capacity and the
power requirements of your TV and HT.

Ya, it won't run for too long. But atleast I can switch off the power properly, rather than in a power cut... or sometimes when the power trips... Probably save the equipment from damage...

Congrats Rahul on your new HT system. Looks like you have purchased a lot over the last one year.
Enjoy your new system. Please do post the pics of your set up.

regards,
Madhu

Hey Rahul ... Congratulations buddy!

In fact, I just auditioned the Onkyo HT speaker package at Home Town today. Not too sure what model it was, can find out by calling them up.

Awaiting you first listening experience notes.

Happy Onkyoing :)

Hi people,
It's been about 2-3 weeks,since I bought the Onkyos home. A week was spent on the woodwork etc, and finally I was able to give it a nice listen. So, here's my review, and a few crappy quality pics (since my brother took our camera away).
First of all, it's been a great journey, the last one year, since I began working.
All the members of this forum really helped me out a lot, helped me learn, and helped me put my money in the right place.
So, I was looking for a decent home theatre system for my 50" Plasma. The first system I heard about was Onkyo 3200, and then listened to Onkyo 3100 at Ezone. They also made me listen to some Sensei products. Then I was told the Onkyo 3300 was launched. I had my eyes set on these.
This from where I started auditioning different brands.
I auditioned the Denon 1611 along with Polk RM 6750 at ProFX.
Then I heard the Onkyo 5205. And to be honest, I found the Onkyo sound slightly better. Also the Denon+Polk was around 50ks, and out of my budget.
Then I auditioned Harmon Kardon+JBL cinesystem. I liked the sound but the AVR 133 was rather ancient.
Next up was Yamaha RX 465 along with N8900 towers. The sound was louder, and not as clear as the other systems.
Now, I must admit I'm no audiophile, and this is my first experience, so I might run out of right adjectives to define various kinds of sound. But what I found was that auditioning and having the system home, to home conditions were totally 2 different ball games. So, I could not just go into the specs, but my ears were not trustworthy yet.
So, finally I thought of pulling the trigger. Onkyo 508 was an AVR with that would decode all the modern codecs like DTS HD-MA etc., it had HDMI 1.4 and was a 7.1 reciever, that made it 'future-proof'. Now for the speakers, I did not want to add on slowly, I wanted to experience the surround effect at one go. I choose the Onkyo 728 as they were wooden made, and the fronts were tower speakers, which meant it would be at the right level. It sounded a lot better than the 5205 (as the speakers and the powered subs were higher rated). I generally liked the sound, and infact was a lot clearer than the Denon+Polk combo.
I bargained hard with the person at Promises, Kolkata, and got it at 42.5 ks. Which I thought was a good deal.
This system also allows me upgrade to 7.1 system anytime I want.

I had changed the speaker cables to Bandridge, cost me 1000 bucks more, as my room is about 19X20 ft, needed those cables anyhow.
Right now I watching stuff from WD TV Live via HDMI to AVR, and DVD Player via Optical and Component to AVR.

So, after having spent a few weeks with it, I pretty satisfied.
I did the calibration with Audyssey EQ and the mic provided. It sounds very nice. The crossover has been set to 100hz, by Audyssey. The bass has improved in the last few days (maybe because of break in).
Movies are awesome, but sometimes I have to turn down the volume a little bit during the action scenes.
I collected a lot of DTS Music over the last few days, and they sound fabulous.
Some of the amazing stuff I heard were:
1. Avatar
2. Hotel California Live (HD)
3. Blue Man Group Feat. Dave Mathews - Sing Along (DTS Demo Disc)
4. Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (DTS CD)
5. Pink Floyd - Shine on you Crazy Diamonds (DTS CD)
6. Metallica - Black Album (DTS CD)
7. The Police - Every Breath You Take (DTS CD)
and a zillion more stuff...
Just love the sound, its really clear and I can hear almost every note.
So, that's about it for now.
Haven't experienced DTS HD-MA yet, but will buy a Blu-Ray player in the future, along with a Logitech Harmony (need it real bad, as there are too many remotes now.. :lol:)

editx.jpg

photo0041m.jpg

photo0045g.jpg

photo0043dv.jpg

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back