Budget Media player

thevampire

Hi Everybody,
Just got a new sammy 40" d5500. Currently connect to an hathway stb.
I would like to use it to view camera snaps,rhymes,cartoon's and occasionaly movies. currently only using the tv speakers, but have plan for a decent philips htib arnd 12k price range for music/speakers again which will be hardly used by anybody since no time !
Please suggest me a really economical option.

1. Is it possible to connect a external hd to tv and solve my purpose ? that way i would only have to buy a external hdd.

2. If media player is a must which one would serve my purpose. ( on a real tight budget )

Thanks !

you TV will play most of the formats. be aware of the audio codecs though..i think most of the new TVs are able to read upwards of 500 GB ..why not try a borrowed external HDD before investing? search for android based media players in ebay.in. lots and lots of economical options..if you have a laptop with HDMI out why not use it when u watch movies etc ?

Hi Everybody,
Just got a new sammy 40" d5500. Currently connect to an hathway stb.
I would like to use it to view camera snaps,rhymes,cartoon's and occasionaly movies. currently only using the tv speakers, but have plan for a decent philips htib arnd 12k price range for music/speakers again which will be hardly used by anybody since no time !
Please suggest me a really economical option.

1. Is it possible to connect a external hd to tv and solve my purpose ? that way i would only have to buy a external hdd.

2. If media player is a must which one would serve my purpose. ( on a real tight budget )

Thanks !
Congrats on your new purchase. Even I bought a Samsung D6000 model recently. I had a similar dilemna as your's regarding whether I should buy a Media player or not. However I have decided against it atleast for now since my Samsung TV plays almost all the models. And as far as I know most of the Samsung TV's should support External HDD upto 1 TB for sure. I have heard issues wherein some TV's where not able to recognize HDD around 2 GB and over 2 GB. I checked couple of sites, Samsung guy and friends and finally bought WD External HDD 1 TB which is working as charm. So far I have watched lots of movies and I had no problem with the formats.

So my final suggestion would be to check if you have any friends who have external HDD and connect it to your TV. Also if you are tight on budget skip the media player for now and go for an expensive one later.

ASUS O Play Mini for 3.5 K to 4K range would be best for you if at all you want to go with a media player in tight budget. There are some players selling on ebay at lower prices but they are not backed by regular firmware updates to solve issues, etc that ASUS does regularly.

HiMedia HM200A... Delivered for Rs.2500/- from Focalgadgets.com. Excellent value for money. You can also install a 2.5" laptop internal HDD upto 1 TB in it. No Network capability but gets the job done.

Thanks for the responses everybody..
andy congrats on your purchase too ...glad to know 1 tb works ...
I think its best and economical to connect a usb hdd right into the usb and use.
Actually i was wondering how to view my laptop content including pictures, few movies
on tv. I got a wifi adsl/modem which supports only "g" standards so signal is weak.
If i connect a cat 5 cable from the wireless modem into the tv i should be able to see the laptop data right ? laptop doesn't have a hdmi out only a vga out :(
also can't move to other room due to signal strength going weak if moved to other room.
I don't want to spend on that samsung wifi dongle i think its a un nessary expense.

Thanks for the responses everybody..
andy congrats on your purchase too ...glad to know 1 tb works ...
I think its best and economical to connect a usb hdd right into the usb and use.
Actually i was wondering how to view my laptop content including pictures, few movies
on tv. I got a wifi adsl/modem which supports only "g" standards so signal is weak.
If i connect a cat 5 cable from the wireless modem into the tv i should be able to see the laptop data right ? laptop doesn't have a hdmi out only a vga out :(
also can't move to other room due to signal strength going weak if moved to other room.
I don't want to spend on that samsung wifi dongle i think its a un nessary expense.

if the tv has VGA in, you can hook up your laptop to the tv via VGA in absence of HDMI. For audio run a stereo cable from laptop to tv.

HiMedia HM200A... Delivered for Rs.2500/- from Focalgadgets.com. Excellent value for money. You can also install a 2.5" laptop internal HDD upto 1 TB in it. No Network capability but gets the job done.
Its $70 which is 3600, anything that i missed like a coupon?

Looks interesting. I always prefer imported stuff it has such a good quality make. I think the network version of this player wud be a good buy. man the doller rate today is roughly 54 Rs ...woaa:sad:

asus o play mini also looks good as a option.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back