Budget stereo setup (20k)

spy king

Hello!

I have always wanted to get a nice stereo amp + book shelves for a long time, a dream that I have shared with my dad. This year, for his birthday, have decided to get a setup that we both will enjoy.

I had started this thread about 2 years ago to get an idea, and am now a little wiser, and richer! :D

I have made a small list of equipment that we should listen to. Some are a bit out of the budget, but might be able to stretch!

Amps:
Norge 2060
Norge 1000
Denon PMA510AE
Marantaz PM5004
Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10
Onkyo A9155

Speakers
Norge Millennium
Warf 10.1/9 series
Tannoy Mercury V1
Mission MX1
Mordaunt Short ALUMNI 2
Cambridge Audio S30

Are they any others that I am missing here?
Also, where would I be able to listen to these in Chennai? If any kind souls in Chennai are willing to help, I'd be very grateful!

My vote goes to
Amp : Norge 2060(With remote) or marantz 5004

Speakers: Norge millenium MkII.
Missing in your list is
1)DNM For amplifiers as well as speakers
2)Pulz for dual mono amp and speakers.
3)sonodyne for amp .

If you are open to active speakers(speakers with built in amp) then
1)audio engine A5
2)Edirol 150(recently reviewed by Hemantwaghe)

spy king, Do look at the Topping TP20 and allot the rest of the budget to spending more on your speakers. The PM5004 and likes are good options, but the amp itself would come to 15-20k. Then you would be left without budget for speakers.
Look at the used hifi market for speakers. Here srinisundar was selling a pair of MA BR2. That would be quite good.
What is your source?
Else you could just buy the Edirol 150 and be done with it.

I agree... Topping T20 with a matching (high sensitive) speakers will do good for you, if you are unable to find used ones....

Would anyone in Chennai be willing to give me a demo of the Topping T20? I've heard/read a lot of it and would love to audition it. If it satisfies me then nothing like it! :)

I am not really interested in an active setup. Would like to go the Amp + speakers route. Source will be a good CDP + Dedicated music PC later on, but for now will be a laptop + Soundcard and the Fuze(rockbox + Flac.)

I was actually thinking of getting the best amp I could squeeze into the budget, and if I splurge a little, will connect it to my old speakers as a temporary setup.

EDIT: I just read a bit about the Edirol MA15D. Seems like a really VFM setup (DAC+AMP+Speakers for 11k) would an audition be possible? :-S

Last edited:
Hi

Going by your budget, I suggest you go the pre-used channel. You can't get it wrong, provided you do your homework well. If you want to sample, I'd be happy to let you audition my previous system from which I upgraded; just to give you the right perspective. No strings attached.:)

Regards

Rajesh

+1 to Capt. Try the Pre used route, You will get a good amplifier for 20k, The MRP would have been 35- 40k. Search.... and you might get a Marantz PM 7001 or even a PM 8003 for a little more. The other options may be the Nad or the Rotel.

regards

Thanks for the inputs guys, but this setup is partly a gift for my dad too, so want the starting to be shinny new box. When it's my turn, I will for sure go the second hand route! :)

I need help on how to audition! I am truly clueless as to how one goes about it. I tried searching, but there is no definitive guide as such.

Prhythm, yes you can connect your asus o play to it. You have the option of using regular analog connection as well as digital input of edirol.

I have more or less decided to go with the Marantz PM5004, and now need to decide matching speakers..

What would go well with them? Budget about 15-17k.

Thanks!

@spy king: The options could be

wharfdale 10.2(if the group buy is still on) or 9.2 at 17k Norge millenium mk 2 is another very good model at 12.5k. The only issue(for some people) may be that it does not have brand value but they sound great.

You can try Bose 301 as well. 17k. Quite decent.

Someone on forum owns pulz speakers (i think brajendu). I think he has the same combo that you are planning. Ask him.

Another model is DNM 'High end' book shelfspeaker at 15k. The name itself is 'high end'. There is no model no. I have heard it personally. Very sweet sounding. Again the the issue (for few) may be that there is no brand image.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Marantz amp + speakers can be within 20,000.That too new.
I would suggest go to vipul audio and try out SONODYNE integrated amp.It beats Norge amps any day as both Norge 2060 and 1000 has low bass response.
It would cost 11,000.Then,add Mx1 or Wharf models as described if you can stetch a bit. Else, CA S30 which should be available at 8,500.
You have a brand new gift for your DAD.

Re: Hello everybody of Hifi vision members and board

OT

Thank u very much for joining of your HIFI VISION forum iam new member of this forum i have to intrduce my self iam active member of BLURAY.COM and having ATC 110 pro speakers which is tri amplification , DENON avp a1 hd preamp pioneer elite 09 bluray plyers MARANTZ 9004 bluray and oppo 93 bluray plyers WITH JVC RS 50 3D PROJECTOR with 560 bluray moives and also 2 VELODYN DD 18 subs thanku

Hi please post your introduction here...
BTW, is this your dream home cinema theatre?

It looks like you spent your lifetime in building this room. This is one hell of a setup. Congrats...

get the topping amp(Rs 4000) plus CAS30 speaker at (Rs 8500) mx interconnect cables part no MX 1111 for Rs400 will be within your budget its amazing for the price i use it with my lappie.

I don't understand how Marantz amp + speakers can be within 20,000.That too new.
I would suggest go to vipul audio and try out SONODYNE integrated amp.It beats Norge amps any day as both Norge 2060 and 1000 has low bass response.
It would cost 11,000.Then,add Mx1 or Wharf models as described if you can stetch a bit. Else, CA S30 which should be available at 8,500.
You have a brand new gift for your DAD.

Thanks for your inputs, Vipul audio is right near my house, shall check it out.

Oh, and I have increased my budget, that is how getting them both new :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back