Building my dedicated Home Theater - An unfinished saga

sud98

Its been such a long journey.

I started with a Yamaha 459 receiver and two custom speakers to start with my primary passion of movies and occasional listening to music.

Then hifivision happened and I realised there are lots of brands and ended up building my equipment list as seen in my signature bit by bit.

However, listening to music and movie watching always were not completely satisfactorily in my living room. So this started my hunt for a home theater room.

While many look for a house for many reasons, I started with where and how my home theater will look like. So in a way this will be one costly home theater as I had to buy a house with it :)

An early inspiration was Vinay and later Santhosh and now Sam9 and I have now finalised the house to fit my home theater. As I am in my early stages of the construction, I would like pointers and inputs from all in the group.

The Room

So, this villa has a basement multipurpose room - the dimensions are 15' by 12' with a height of 9'.

I am looking at projecting to the shorter wall. Would be good to know what would be the ideal screen size I can look for. I am more interested in a pull down (unless people can convince me that fixed frame can be maintained easliy from dust.

I have closed the window and plan to have an AC. The door is offcenter so it wont (hopefully) disturb the speakers or my sitting position.

I have an electrical diagram, do let me know if I need to consider something else as I am at a stage where I can do minor changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SRo782zUzxdlJqUmlGUFhqNU8zcWdib1JoTE5PZnlfdnU0/view?usp=sharing

I know I would need to build a false ceiling although I am not sure if I will have the budget, so would like to know if I can do it later.

For the flooring, I plan to put as thick a carpet with natural fibre I can buy to do wall to wall carpeting but which can still be vacuumed on a regular basis. I am not sure of the wall carpeting costs (most likely I wont have money for it now).

The Equipment

After exhausting all my budget, I have very limited budget but unlimited patience :) to get the equipments. So plan to spend around 50k on a projector (not sure of DLP vs LCD). I have seen the DLP at Santhosh's house and was very happy with it but I see most recent purchases tending towards LCD. I will get this from abroad as the price differential is far too high.

The screen I am assuming will be around 15k but my info can be dated, so help me if I am wrong about it.

The Acoustics

With almost a zero budget, the only thing I am looking at it floor carpet. Wall carpet looking from sam9 thread seems inspiring, so will explore if its in budget.

I am looking at shelf at the first reflection point on either side to diffuse the sound, Will try and keep them as my movie/music collection. May replace one side with a poster if thats more practical.

Inputs which will be on budget are most welcome.

Leaving other things for more knowledgeable FMs to comment, I have few things to share regarding acoustics.

If you are thinking of just wall carpet, a sofa(may be), few diffuser on 2 first reflector points then your room will be full of reverberation. You won't be able to hear dialogues properly. 15, 12 and 9 are all multiple of 3, so you will have very strong room mode at common points from all three side and it will be very strong. So it is recommended that you use few rockwool/glasswool panels of 4" or more thickness. With around Rs. 4-5k you will be able to make enough number of panels for your room.

Regarding ceiling, as it is already low at 9', false ceiling will only bring it down and that is not good. Instead use a wide glasswool panel at the first reflection point on the ceiling. Around size 6' x 4' x 2"

My 2 cents.

Thanks Kaushik.

I can always spare that much for some tiles.

How does one manage connectivity esp. in the basement?

I will get a telephone point in the basement but is it possible to get wired connectivity across floors?

If you are not doing any specific acoustic treatment at all, then i'd suggest you to add a really thick rug (you get great ones at big bazaar these days that are also pretty inexpensive) - it'll be good if you can put the rug even if you go for a wall-to-wall carpet.
Put a fabric based sofa or recliner instead of leather/faux leather based ones. They are tremendous help. To test, just try the clap test in your bedroom (with large mattress) vs in the living/other rooms - you'll see a huge difference.

To test, just try the clap test in your bedroom (with large mattress) vs in the living/other rooms - you'll see a huge difference.
qc88rx

Thanks for the inputs.

However, I am right now a year away from possession, so would need inputs from a structural side that I need to prepare for, as also any inputs for electrical and other points.

I will be having my router on the ground floor, so not sure if there is an easy way to connect to the basement router. I will be having my NAS in the basement alongwith my htpc. So not sure what would be the right layout.

Option 1 - Basement - modem/router/NAS/HTPC
G-floor - Router to act as a repeater
Option 2 - G-floor - modem/router
Basement - Router acts as repeater and local lan to NAS/HTPC

Not sure in either options I will be able to access my music in the NAS in the first floor as I guess the signals would be too weak. Can try a powerline router but not sure they will work if they are in different lines in the typical Indian household.

Thanks for the inputs.

However, I am right now a year away from possession, so would need inputs from a structural side that I need to prepare for, as also any inputs for electrical and other points.

I will be having my router on the ground floor, so not sure if there is an easy way to connect to the basement router. I will be having my NAS in the basement alongwith my htpc. So not sure what would be the right layout.

My 2cents..

The Repeater is going to have issues , best is run an ethernet cable between the G.Floor and the Top floor, you wont have any signal / speed problems.

As for the sound acoustics , if you have a budget proble you can consider these foam sheet rolls. Just go to JC Road , you will find shops selling these roles, they are much cheaper than the Professional ones.

Something like these, available in different thickness.
foam.JPG

%

Not sure in either options I will be able to access my music in the NAS in the first floor as I guess the signals would be too weak. Can try a powerline router but not sure they will work if they are in different lines in the typical Indian household.

My 2cents..

The Repeater is going to have issues , best is run an ethernet cable between the G.Floor and the Top floor, you wont have any signal / speed problems.

If you plan for an AC network (gigabit router) then absolutely no issues. I'd in fact go with the router, the NAS/Media Server in the basement, and stream throughout the house.

I have an AC router connected to a Media Server (via LAN) and then another router working as a repeater (to cover the entire house + garden/sitout/garage) and a repeater (for my bedroom since I stream music/FLAC rips and FHD movies there). This covers nearly 3000 sft (2500 sft indoors + 400 sft for outdoors, parking garage area, garden, etc.). I get 100% coverage and anywhere from 12 to more devices are connected to the 2 routers (running 3 networks) most of the time. Everything from FLAC rips, to FHD 1080P movies, to 4K content, Netflix streaming, etc. works seamlessly and without buffering (90% is internal network streaming restricted to WiFi and content from HTPC + media server and about 10% is external mainly limited to Netflix and Amazon Prime). I've connected multiple devices like Roku, HTPC + media server, AVR, smart TV, Chromecast, smartphones, tablets, etc. without any issues.

Plan for an AC (maybe AD will be here soon) router connected to the NAS, media server, HTPC (on LAN) in the basement and you can connect the rest of the house with repeaters, routers or a combination of both. Go with something like Linksys or Netgear and you will pretty much cover the entire house with 2 routers (the 2nd one working as a repeater).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will try the LAN option, although most architects tend to think thats old fashioned and dont plan for it. If not, will go for the AC router.

I will try the LAN option, although most architects tend to think thats old fashioned and dont plan for it. If not, will go for the AC router.

Plan for a gigabit network with CAT6 cables. Wireless AC is also gigabit speeds.

Not right now, but with 4K and UHD coming you will be future proofing your home.

If at the construction stage and you have the option of running a concealed cable I would definitely go for this option.

In the ground floor get a network hub set up in your main console rack and this way all of your devices can be wired for optimum performance.
i.e. Since your source is concealed , you would not have any wires hanging out as everything is hidden inside the rack.

Am talking about one of these 4port or 8port depending on your needs
D Link DES 1008A 8 Port 10 100 LAN Network Switch DES 1008A Dlink | eBay

Wireless, as technology advances you can purchase them later anytime.
Moreover 5gz penetration through walls itself weakens the signal . Going through floors would be even worse. Because unlike walls floors are a solid RCC thicker layer with all 4 sides blocked out.

Last edited:
Thanks. But that device that you shared is a 100Mbps hub which wont cut it. I would need a gigabit switch for it to make sense.

Cuts it for me , I have a similar setup and 20gb movie files stream just fine without any stuttering.
You can even do a Seek Fwd / Reverse without much lag.

Go through a similar discussion here
https://www.avforums.com/threads/is-standard-100mbps-ethernet-ok-for-hd-streaming.1086242/

4K streaming only requires 20-25 mbps so 100 mbps will more than suffice.

That said if you want to transfer/move files then nothing like a Gigabit network. Also, think of multiple devices (smartphones, tablets, smart TVs) connecting to it at the same time... that's going to be a bottleneck eventually.

Blu-ray movies are 25GB, but with 4K Blu-rays the planned size is 50GB or more per movie. Strictly speaking your external streaming will always be limited to your ISP speeds, but internal wireless network streaming will definitely cross the 100 mbps b/w with the right h/w like USB 3.0, firewire, and even SSDs... all of which will eventually replace existing h/w.

And a gigabit network does not cost a lot more... only the routers are expensive at this point in time.

Thanks to the advise, I got a ethernet data cable with cat6 in the basement so wouldnt have to worry about connectivity :)

Been a long time and my house construction is almost complete. So I am looking at the equipment purchases for the HT.

I have narrowed my projector to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and plan to order it this week as the prices have reduced to 700 USD.

I was initially planning to order the 3D glasses but dont see much of price difference between India and US.

Screens, HDMI cables and the mounting bracket I plan to buy in India, as they are bulky and may be difficult to get someone to carry.

Any thoughts on the same welcome. Please reply ASAP as I think the price reduction is due to Black Friday.

Being a user of 2030 I presume 2040 will be equally better. Fully satisfied by 2030s performance and you getting 2040 for a steal price ..... go for it...

Don't know about this PJ, but you should consider both Black Friday and Cyber Monday for any deals especially as its Amazon.com.

PS: 3D is all but dead, personally I'd consider 4K instead. With a good upscaler even 1080p content will look good on it.

Being a user of 2030 I presume 2040 will be equally better. Fully satisfied by 2030s performance and you getting 2040 for a steal price ..... go for it...

Actually, they have improved a lot in 2040. The dynamic contract has improved significantly as also the input lag and they have added Frame Interpolation which should help in watching sports.

What accessories would you recommend getting from there (if any)?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back