Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

FYI there is a sale of tussar silk next to the Bharat Petrol bunk near Mysore Lamps-we bougth some fabric for curtains from there last week. This is a Jharkhand Govt+ Central Silk Board outlet, 20% off until Aug 15th-god value for money. We bought some raw silk from Mysore Silk Udyog on Sunday for some upholstery work, prices vary from around 290-550/mt..

FYI there is a sale of tussar silk next to the Bharat Petrol bunk near Mysore Lamps-we bougth some fabric for curtains from there last week. This is a Jharkhand Govt+ Central Silk Board outlet, 20% off until Aug 15th-god value for money. We bought some raw silk from Mysore Silk Udyog on Sunday for some upholstery work, prices vary from around 290-550/mt..
Thanks for the info George, could you please share the exact location of Mysore Lamps. BTW, I was at Mysore Silk Udyog too around 4PM on Sunday looking for Raw Silk:)

Drive down 18th cross past the bus stand, until you reach the one way, take a left and then a right and keep drivng until you reach the 8th Main, and take arigh on this road( I think that's the one), just ask anyone where is Mysore Lamps or where the Bharat Petrol Pump is located-this is a small outlet right next to it-there is a Kati Zone and a Baskin Robbins ice cream outlet also just next to it-also a Coffee Day. The guy in charge is Mukesh, he's a good guy.

George

Sanotsh,

How do you plan to apply the raw silk over the plywood or over a thin layer of foam on the ply?

I tried these combinations earlier when I was building mine, and I was not happy with the finish and chose to go with a thicker fabric which is easier to apply.

However, I would suggest that you try multiple options before finalizing.

Regards,

Srisha

Drive down 18th cross past the bus stand, until you reach the one way, take a left and then a right and keep drivng until you reach the 8th Main, and take arigh on this road( I think that's the one), just ask anyone where is Mysore Lamps or where the Bharat Petrol Pump is located-this is a small outlet right next to it-there is a Kati Zone and a Baskin Robbins ice cream outlet also just next to it-also a Coffee Day. The guy in charge is Mukesh, he's a good guy.

George
Thanks George. I got it, this is in Malleshwaram on the opposite side of a Brigade Apartment.

Sanotsh,

How do you plan to apply the raw silk over the plywood or over a thin layer of foam on the ply?

I tried these combinations earlier when I was building mine, and I was not happy with the finish and chose to go with a thicker fabric which is easier to apply.

Regards,

Srisha

Thanks for cautioning me Srisha. Actually, I was planning to get just enough to cover two boards. If I am not happy with the fit and finish, I might just stitch a shirt in it and try with another material:clapping:.

I plan to use the method shown below to stretch the cloth onto the wooden panels. I need to buy a wood stapler first.
How to Stretch a Canvas (with video) - wikiHow

I have another link to stretch the fabric which is even more detailed. I have that link saved on my home PC, am posting from work now.

Thanks Manu. Here is some info that I would like to share with you and other forum members. I wanted to do this after I have completed the build. But, I find that many are curious and also making a decision at this point and this reach a decision. Since the HT Room is not complete yet, I'll give you a breakup for you to get an idea. I like to DIY and have done everything on my own so far (ofcourse with the guidance of experienced forum members and my carpenter). So, please add around 10 to 20% as there may be lessons learnt, rework, wastage etc.

Costing and Sourcing:

a) Wooden Framing : Make sure you buy wood that is not prone to bending or termites. I used Silver wood mostly but fell short of wood by around 60 feet. I could not get the same again for such a small quanity. Had to manage with some other Jungle wood. Rs.12k for the wood (cut to size, planed and transported). One could also use GI/aluminium framing to cut costs

b) Fibre Glass Wool: I have spent around 5k so far, need some more of higher density. Expected total cost is Rs.10k . More info on costs here

c) Anutone Boards: Rs.5k as I am covering only the bottom half (upto ear level). Have place ordered for 20mm boards and have been quoted around Rs.62 per square feet for the natural finish boards

d) Plywood Boards: I am using a good brand 12mm Marine Grade Plywood for the wall panels and costs around Rs.50 per sq ft for a 12mm board. Some parts like doors, cabinets, bass trap frames will be made using 19mm boards which cost around Rs.65 per sq ft

e) Fabric to cover boards: I am planning to use Raw Silk and I was quoted Rs.250 per meter from my enquiry yesterday at a retail shop. Will visit some wholesale shops during the week

f) Seating: I am considering something like Berkline Home Theater Seating Power Buy:: Ultimate Home Entertainment and have spoken to one chap yesterday who makes commerical Theatre seats. I will be meeting him next Saturday. Starting price range is Rs.3500, rest depends on my customisation - fabric, leather, softer, etc

g) Flooring: Wooden flooring costs around Rs.140 per square feet. I have found a manufacturer. Will visit him when the time comes. In my case, this will have to wait as I will use the HT with normal floor and an existing carpet for some time as I am about to overshoot my budget

h) Ceiling: Depends on your what you have in mind. I am getting a cove done in Gypsum\POP. This should cost me around 5k, not received an estimate yet. For the center portion, I am planning this. This should cost me another 7 to 10k.

i) Switches, Wiring and Conduits: I have so far spend around 5k on conduits, switch box & labour. I am expecting to spend another 15k. Not sure though.

j) Lighting: I have a budget for around 20 k. I am in touch with eVillage and am impressed with their demo. They make LED rope lights, Indoor and Outdoor LED spotlights (dimmable as well at an extra cost). I am yet to finalise what I want to order from them. Cost and quality wise, I am happy.

k) Carpenter Labour Cost: 40% of materials used (materials used in his work only)

l) Construction Civil Cost: Room had to be built from the scratch and cost me a little over 2.5 lakhs. Painting etc extra

m) Satisfaction on seeing things taking shape: Priceless:)

PS: Cost depends on your negotiation skills also to a great extent. My wife tells me that I am very poor at neogitation because I let my excitement show as soon as I see a product that I like and the seller knows I will buy anyways:D.

thanks brother

i really appreciate your help

best of luck bro. :thumbsup:

you made your thread as "please guide me" but i think so far is you are the one who guides us i mean everything is going superbly yaar

i too made some renovation in my ht but no way near as great as you i just turm my room in more kid room with ht mix

i post new pics tommorow may be coz tommorow my onkyo 606 arrives

best of luck again bro :)

Last edited:
hi, i too am in the process of doing up my room , i agree with vinay ,his posts are very useful here , i will be using the same acoustic boards (autone)for ceiling , and the rest of the wall will be covered with acoustic boards with fabric , and as for lack of space at the front will be going in for celary paper ----the whole project has been estimated @ abt 30k , the room shud be ready in abt 10 days ------like vinay i wanted to lengthen the room by removing / shifting the toilet but when the engineer came he quoted a price of 70k ----i think will scrap the idea of lengthening and settle for the smaller room

It is very good that you are sharing vital information with the members. In my case tons of lessons were learnt, a lot of rework and wastage had happened but the worth was for sure.

I think you should not be using silk to cover the plywood because it will not do justice to acoustics and this kind of a fabric will be more expensive. I had bought several large type of fabrics and did the dry run, and finally i got the right fabric.

I bought a recliner chair which is pure leather and it is manufactured by the world leaders "Lazyboy" from America, it is just too good, though the cost was not worth it.

I think wooden flooring is a very bad idea for the room, carpet is the best way to go forward.

In my sitting area i have a light with dedicated remote control, it can change light in 4 different colours.

I think you do not have a location to put the rope lights while spotlights maybe is not a good idea, halogen lights would be the best.

Vinay

Thanks Manu. Here is some info that I would like to share with you and other forum members. I wanted to do this after I have completed the build. But, I find that many are curious and also making a decision at this point and this reach a decision. Since the HT Room is not complete yet, I'll give you a breakup for you to get an idea. I like to DIY and have done everything on my own so far (ofcourse with the guidance of experienced forum members and my carpenter). So, please add around 10 to 20% as there may be lessons learnt, rework, wastage etc.

Costing and Sourcing:

a) Wooden Framing : Make sure you buy wood that is not prone to bending or termites. I used Silver wood mostly but fell short of wood by around 60 feet. I could not get the same again for such a small quanity. Had to manage with some other Jungle wood. Rs.12k for the wood (cut to size, planed and transported). One could also use GI/aluminium framing to cut costs

b) Fibre Glass Wool: I have spent around 5k so far, need some more of higher density. Expected total cost is Rs.10k . More info on costs here

c) Anutone Boards: Rs.5k as I am covering only the bottom half (upto ear level). Have place ordered for 20mm boards and have been quoted around Rs.62 per square feet for the natural finish boards

d) Plywood Boards: I am using a good brand 12mm Marine Grade Plywood for the wall panels and costs around Rs.50 per sq ft for a 12mm board. Some parts like doors, cabinets, bass trap frames will be made using 19mm boards which cost around Rs.65 per sq ft

e) Fabric to cover boards: I am planning to use Raw Silk and I was quoted Rs.250 per meter from my enquiry yesterday at a retail shop. Will visit some wholesale shops during the week

f) Seating: I am considering something like Berkline Home Theater Seating Power Buy:: Ultimate Home Entertainment and have spoken to one chap yesterday who makes commerical Theatre seats. I will be meeting him next Saturday. Starting price range is Rs.3500, rest depends on my customisation - fabric, leather, softer, etc

g) Flooring: Wooden flooring costs around Rs.140 per square feet. I have found a manufacturer. Will visit him when the time comes. In my case, this will have to wait as I will use the HT with normal floor and an existing carpet for some time as I am about to overshoot my budget

h) Ceiling: Depends on your what you have in mind. I am getting a cove done in Gypsum\POP. This should cost me around 5k, not received an estimate yet. For the center portion, I am planning this. This should cost me another 7 to 10k.

i) Switches, Wiring and Conduits: I have so far spend around 5k on conduits, switch box & labour. I am expecting to spend another 15k. Not sure though.

j) Lighting: I have a budget for around 20 k. I am in touch with eVillage and am impressed with their demo. They make LED rope lights, Indoor and Outdoor LED spotlights (dimmable as well at an extra cost). I am yet to finalise what I want to order from them. Cost and quality wise, I am happy.

k) Carpenter Labour Cost: 40% of materials used (materials used in his work only)

l) Construction Civil Cost: Room had to be built from the scratch and cost me a little over 2.5 lakhs. Painting etc extra

m) Satisfaction on seeing things taking shape: Priceless:)

PS: Cost depends on your negotiation skills also to a great extent. My wife tells me that I am very poor at neogitation because I let my excitement show as soon as I see a product that I like and the seller knows I will buy anyways:D.

Raj,

I have used glass wool in 4 and 2 inches.

I have used fabric which is acoustically transparent, i must have been to at least 25 shops, then i got the right fabric and i am very happy with it, indeed silk fabric may not be a good idea.

Santhol2: Thanks for sharing this information.
What are you using the Anutone boards for? as sound absorption boards? But then you have the fibre wool too. Could you please clarify what role does the Anutone board play vs the fiber wool?

I read somewhere that the fabric you cover the sound panels should be acoustically transparent. Is the silk fabric going to let the sound panel below that to do its job? What about the fabrics from Anutone (that I see in their website)? Did you consider them and chose to go with Silk instead?
Once again, thanks for sharing your experience. And good luck with your project. BTW, which area of BLR is your house in?

George, I think basement is a very good location to make a private theatre.

Vinay.

Santosh

Im finding this very interesting, since I have to get my basement ready for HT. I don't have too much time to get it done, but will plan thing out carefully, and would very definitely like to come and see your room once it is in a condition to visit. I plan to travel to the US around the middle of next month.

George

Indeed for lower frequencies, more thicker glass wool would be required, there is no reason why the plywood/boards can not be maintained, it is very easy, similarly your assumption is completely wrong that fabric based wall may not look good. By which logic you are saying that the plywood is not rigid? About someone leaning on the wall, i think no one would do that, they can see it is fabric based and even if someone does, it is simple, just request him not to lean because there is electric current on the full wall :yahoo: and about kicking the wall, i wonder who would do that, unless he is a great soccer player. :clapping:

I understand your pain to get the right kind of acoustically transparent fabric and yet aesthetically appealing. I had to search more then 25 shops, and this search was spread for more then 3 weeks. I used to buy large fabric samples 4 feet wide with a height of 7 feet, i used to put 4 different fabrics at one go on the walls and see them for days to decide which one will be correct, like this i must have bought at least 15 types of fabrics, you will be surprised to know that there were instances when i liked a particular fabric, i went and bought 2 more large sheets of the said size to check it further on look wise, and guess what, the appeal failed.

Thereafter i liked other fabrics, i bought 3 large pieces for the wall, i liked it this time, and then i bought the fabric for the full room, again i put it on final test by hanging them on the walls, with around 3 days looking at it, i realized this fabric is also not the right one, so imagine the whole fabrics went waste for the room, this high magnitude happened twice, one would shiver that twice the fabric came for the full room, and it got cancelled. Finally i got the right kind of fabric, i am very happy with it and the people who have seen my red room are very happy with it. So you can imagine the kind of hard work, frustration and money gone into this exercise.

I had tried the speaker cloth and what not, i have more then 50 T shirts, i checked all of them also if they had some fabric which would do the job for my walls.

It is very important that the air should pass in the fabric, i have seen someone who has not handled this correctly so therefore the end result was not in order.

One of the major issues which i faced was that if some fabric suited well for the walls but i was able to see the plywood, speaker cone holes, to beat this i had made a double layer of fabric, so this way the issue was settled. I know of one forum member who took my ideas in-directly, and guess what the fabric which he choose was a bad one, he should have at least spoken to me, i would have helped me out.

I hope this information helps.

Vinay.

Experts, please correct me when I say something wrong. My knowledge is purely based on my understanding of several online articles and posts on AV forums.

You are right, I am using the Anutone boards for sound absorption. I am using Anutone boards on the lower half of the walls (upto 4 feet only as the ear level is around 3 feet). The Fibrewool inside is for soundproofing (noise isolation) and is used throughout. I will need to treat bass differently either through diffusion or using bass traps(absorption) or a mix of both. All my panels are removable, so I can experiment, learn and fine-tune.

Ok, let me try and clear the confusion about fibreglass being used for absorption as well as sound-proofing. The loose or semi-rigid fibreglass is used for sound absorption(high to mid frequencies) as well as sound proofing. The fibreglass that I have used inside the panels does not do much for bass related issues. For low frequencies, one would need a higher density-higher thickness fibreglass. If I were to use the correct density fibreglass and cover cover it with an acoustically transparent cloth, I would not need the Boards, but this would be difficult to maintain and to make it 'look good' . Reason being that, it is not rigid enough to handle mishaps like someone leaning on the wall, kicking etc. Also I am trying to get a mix of live and dead sound because this room will also be used for listening.

In order to choose the treatment, it is important to understand Sound Aborption Coefficients. Venkat Sir's post here has some useful info:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/3473-how-sound-proof-hts-room-2.html#post61628

Also useful is to understand what different materials of varying densities do across the frequency band. Have a look at the site below:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

You are right. So far, I have not had any success finding an acoustically transparent yet aesthetically appealing fabric:sad:. A simple test according to online forums is to blow air and check if it comes through the other side. It is an acoustically transparent cloth if it does.

Going by the above, the silk fabric is not exactly acoustically transparent. Nor is the fabric covered boards from manufacturer mentioned above. I have seen their material and it feels like a thin carpet. It is definitely absorptive materials but important thing is it is not reflective.

I do not want to use Speaker Cloth and could not find anything else that is aesthetically pleasant so far. The only ones that I found so far were also visually transparent thus exposing the board/plywood behind. So that was ruled out. Even now, I am not fixed on the Silk fabric, but it has to look good aesthetically. Please suggest soem fabric options. Raw Silk is the last resort as it is porous, relatively loosely woven and I love the way they look.

Last edited:
Santhol
I am delaying sound treatment because I am not able to get eye-pleasing fabric to cover the boards. I found the following site that talks about painting on the fiber board. Not sure if special paint is required or it works only on that board. You can take a look:
Artsorba Canvas Acoustic art panels
FWIW, one guy I talked to said that cladding tiles (that are used on the outside walls) with rough surfaces act as a very good sound diffuser. I have not verified it.

In my case with so much of wastage with the fabric, i have used it for making curtains and related.

Vinay.

Thanks for cautioning me Srisha. Actually, I was planning to get just enough to cover two boards. If I am not happy with the fit and finish, I might just stitch a shirt in it and try with another material:clapping:.

Raj, To get the right fabric is surely not a problem, it is just that one has to put a lot of effort at times. If you want to have a look at my fabric which i have used in my mini theatre then do let me know. About cladding tiles, i also used to get such funny ideas, luckily i did not fall prey to them.

Vinay.

Santhol
I am delaying sound treatment because I am not able to get eye-pleasing fabric to cover the boards. I found the following site that talks about painting on the fiber board. Not sure if special paint is required or it works only on that board. You can take a look:
FWIW, one guy I talked to said that cladding tiles (that are used on the outside walls) with rough surfaces act as a very good sound diffuser. I have not verified it.

Last edited:
Srisha,

We never got to see the pictures of your home theatre, please consider to show us.

In the first place i think to apply raw silk over the plywood is not a good idea and moreover there is zero problem in putting the fabric over the glass wool/plywood/spunch. Indeed i had faced a lot of problems with this issue but then with a lot of try with time and money, i got this thing sorted out. However with the thicker fabric which you have used does it take good care on sound factor, does air pass through the fabric?

Vinay.

Sanotsh,

Srisha

Last edited:
Santhol
Thanks for this Raj, the artsorba panels look good but may be too expensive if you try to do something similar here in India. But there is no harm in trying. Also, I had been to Forum Mall here in Bangalore this weekend and got an idea when I saw the Featherlite showroom's interior decor. They had used in nice shapes and these were spaced away from the wall with some ambience lighting from behind. They looked cool and would suggest that someone doing a HT project have a look to see it they are able to do something similar. I am sorry I do not have a picture. Can someone going that side please take a picture and post..Thanks.

The tiles can be a good sound diffuser if they are in the correct shape. Do an image search on Google for Acoustic Diffuser and you'll get a better idea before you take the plunge. Also, most diffusers are made using wood and it is also claimed that when stuffed with rigid fibreglass, the diffusers work even better. In simple terms, the theory behind Diffusion is to reduce the acoustic energy by dispersing the sound away from the listener. The diffused sound is either absorbed\reflected or diffused again depending on what surface it strikes. From what I have read online, diffusion if done scientifically provides a fantastic soundstage even better than abscorption. For this purpose, it is more commonly used in listening rooms (2 channel) that in Home Theatres(multi channel).

Indeed for lower frequencies, .....
......................I hope this information helps.

Vinay.

As always, your posts are very useful. One can easily understand the effort that you have been through and it is nice of you to share these with us. After reading your posts, I find that even I am going through the same phase especially with selection of materials.

I have mentioned this before, but it is difficult to find an acoustically transparent yet aesthetically appealing fabric. What I have found so far it that if they are acoustically transparent, they are also visually transparent and one can see the plywood or acoustic board behind:sad:. I visited a few shops this weekend and will continue to do so. My wife has been very helpful and she has been visiting some shops in her free time. The moment we find a fabric that looks good, we blow through it. Shopkeepers and other customers give us a strange look. To hide our embarassment, we announce immediately "Show us a fabric through which air can pass freely" :p.

I must thank this Forum as is it is through here that I got introduced to atleast three others who are currently doing their Home Theatre Room and are from Bangalore itself. So we explore various options for materials, products etc and share our findings and hence don't need to do all the running around by ourselves. I must thank Opert, subhash and Srisha for this.

Back to fabric selection. Raw Silk (Dhupian) is not acoustically transparent as I had initially thought. But I really like the way it looks. So I have been toying around with the idea of using reddish orange colored Raw Silk on the upper half of the wall where absorption does not matter. For the lower half, I intend to use an acoustically transparent matching fabric in a different color. I can even paint the Anutone boards in the color that I want. I checked with Anutone regarding painting their boards. I have advised that spray painting would not reduce the acoustic properties of the board but brush painting would clog the pores and is not recommended. Will keep you all updated how I go.

I bought a recliner chair which is pure leather and it is manufactured by the world leaders "Lazyboy" from America, it is just too good, though the cost was not worth it.

I think wooden flooring is a very bad idea for the room, carpet is the best way to go forward.

In my sitting area i have a light with dedicated remote control, it can change light in 4 different colours.

I think you do not have a location to put the rope lights while spotlights maybe is not a good idea, halogen lights would be the best.

Vinay

Vinay, I have a space problem and also my budget does not permit me to buy LAZBOYS. But definitely at a later stage, I would like to add just one recliner chair from the
Ekornes Stressless range. This will be used mainly by me while I am listening to music. They are available in India through Stanley. Pictures can be foundhere

About flooring, even I would like to go in for a full wall to wall carpet, but am afraid of making the sound too dead. Anyways, this will be done at a later stage. Until then, it will be using an old carpet at the first reflection points. This is temporary until I have made up my mind about floor options and also have enough saved.

Vinay, could you please share some information about the remote controlled lights. I am interested in knowing what brands of remote switches you have used and how much they cost. What brands are available in India?

Progress Update:
I have not been able to put up any pictorial updates, will do so this weekend.

There have been some progress and also some setbacks since the last time I posted updates.

First, about the progress:

1) The carpenters have made good progress. Plywood boards for the upper half of the walls have been completed. I have made them hinged on the top with magnets below, so I can open them anytime if I need to add wiring, change thickness or density of fibreglass or for any unforeseen reason. They have also completed the framework for the front wall. The front wall will be built around the 50 inch Plasma that I am yet to buy. This wall will be done up last as I want to benefit best prices and also full warranty. The Carpenters are currently working on building the framework for the ceiling.

2) Anutone boards arrived on Tuesday evening. I have also purchased impeller clips from Anutone to mount the boards on. The impeller clips allow you to remove the boards whenever required.

3) Like I mentioned in my previous post, I got two metres of fabric which I have finalised for the upper half of the wall panels. It is reddish orange raw silk.

4) I got one more roll of 32kg/cubic meter density and also one roll of 48 kg/cubic meter density. While I was there I was lucky to come across Tissue cloth made of Fibre Glass wool. This is a thin, acoustically transparent material that I plan to use between the fibreglass wool and the panels. This will prevent any fibreglass flakes from flying around when I open the panel. This cost me Rs.500 for a roll of 50 metres. This is much more than I require, happy to share with others when I am done. Before I found this, I was searching for a tissue like paper. It is porous and is used to make caps for surgeons, chefs etc :). I kept searching fo this but never found it in the size that I required. I am glad I found this fibreglass tissue cloth:yahoo:.

Now, for the setbacks:

Go get some popcorn before you listen to this part. It is long and hopefully interesting too. On hindsight, I enjoyed the hard work.

1) Monday morning was a nightmare. Not sure why, but I woke up at 3AM. I could hear it raining heavily. Something told me that the carpenters may not have closed the windows and hence water might have entered the Home Theatre Room. I walked towards the room, the entry is through another room and I could feel water at my feet already. Strangely, I remembered Vinay's advice on not having any windows in the Home Theatre even at that time. I switched on the light to find that water was flowing from the Home Theatre into the adjoining room at the speed of a tap. Immediately, I entered the Home Theatre to find that the cause was not the windows, but a hole in the wall that the plumber had made earlier that day to route an exhaust through the room. He had not closed it with cement and I had not got a chance to inspect it closely. I quickly moved electric tools and wood away from the water. I then tried blocking it with various things but it would only reduce the inflow but not completely stop it. I could not understand why there was so much inflow, so took my maglite torch and an umbrella and went to the terrace to get a better view. The cause was that the plumber had removed another pipe which was meant to collect water from the entire terrace and take it to the drainage (will be changed soon to rain-water harvesting). So all the water collected on the terrace was rushing through this point and through the hole into the Home Theatre Room.

I decided not to attempt to fix this until daybreak as it would be too risky. So I blocked the hole from inside to the best possible, but still water was trickling in fast. I then mopped the adjoining room as there was a computer and a motorised threadmill in that room. Also, there was a chance of water entering the rest of the house if the level increased. After that, I went back to sleep checking every half an hour if mopping was required.

Finally, at around 5:30 AM, started collecting tools, nails etc for fixing the problem. It was still pouring heavily. I informed my dad about what my plans were and then headed to the terrace with some polycarbonate sheet, some nails and a hammer. Jumped to the neighbour's terrace and then back onto the sunshade. I then diverted the water flow using a long pipe and also nailed the polycarbonate sheet to cover the hole, thus blocking water to almost 99%of the original flow. With the problem now fixed, I prepared myself mentally for the Monday ahead. Luckily, the rest of the day went smooth. I have pictures taken pictures, will post this weekend.

Damages: Water had trickled into some of the panels and some of the fibreglass needs replacing. I was lucky to have used marine quality plywood and also to get there just in time. Carpenters spent atleast two hours cleaning and re-organising themselves that day as some areas were still damp.

2) Anutone Boards were slightly smaller compared to the Plywood Boards that I had gotten made. I had told the carpenter to make the boards 2 ft x 4 ft (24 x 48 inches) as the Anutone boards were also 2 ft x 4 ft. Little did I know that Anutone boards were smaller by half and inch on both sides. Anutone uses metric system for measurement and the boards are exactly 600 x 1200 mm. Now the problem is that the upper half of my walls are Plywood covered with fabric while the lower half is the anutone boards. Now, my plan was to have a groove like pattern between two boards from top to bottom and left to right. To achieve this, both plywood and anutone boards would need to be of the same size. I called up Praveen from Anutone and explained my problem to him. Today morning, he got back to me saying that he would get new boards made exactly of 24 x 48 inches. I will be getting the boards on Monday.

All is well now and things are back on track.

Progress Update:
I have not been able to put up any pictorial updates, will do so this weekend.

There have been some progress and also some setbacks since the last time I posted updates.

First, about the progress:

1) The carpenters have made good progress. Plywood boards for the upper half of the walls have been completed. I have made them hinged on the top with magnets below, so I can open them anytime if I need to add wiring, change thickness or density of fibreglass or for any unforeseen reason. They have also completed the framework for the front wall. The front wall will be built around the 50 inch Plasma that I am yet to buy. This wall will be done up last as I want to benefit best prices and also full warranty. The Carpenters are currently working on building the framework for the ceiling.

2) Anutone boards arrived on Tuesday evening. I have also purchased impeller clips from Anutone to mount the boards on. The impeller clips allow you to remove the boards whenever required.

3) Like I mentioned in my previous post, I got two metres of fabric which I have finalised for the upper half of the wall panels. It is reddish orange raw silk.

4) I got one more roll of 32kg/cubic meter density and also one roll of 48 kg/cubic meter density. While I was there I was lucky to come across Tissue cloth made of Fibre Glass wool. This is a thin, acoustically transparent material that I plan to use between the fibreglass wool and the panels. This will prevent any fibreglass flakes from flying around when I open the panel. This cost me Rs.500 for a roll of 50 metres. This is much more than I require, happy to share with others when I am done. Before I found this, I was searching for a tissue like paper. It is porous and is used to make caps for surgeons, chefs etc :). I kept searching fo this but never found it in the size that I required. I am glad I found this fibreglass tissue cloth:yahoo:.

Now, for the setbacks:

Go get some popcorn before you listen to this part. It is long and hopefully interesting too. On hindsight, I enjoyed the hard work.

1) Monday morning was a nightmare. Not sure why, but I woke up at 3AM. I could hear it raining heavily. Something told me that the carpenters may not have closed the windows and hence water might have entered the Home Theatre Room. I walked towards the room, the entry is through another room and I could feel water at my feet already. Strangely, I remembered Vinay's advice on not having any windows in the Home Theatre even at that time. I switched on the light to find that water was flowing from the Home Theatre into the adjoining room at the speed of a tap. Immediately, I entered the Home Theatre to find that the cause was not the windows, but a hole in the wall that the plumber had made earlier that day to route an exhaust through the room. He had not closed it with cement and I had not got a chance to inspect it closely. I quickly moved electric tools and wood away from the water. I then tried blocking it with various things but it would only reduce the inflow but not completely stop it. I could not understand why there was so much inflow, so took my maglite torch and an umbrella and went to the terrace to get a better view. The cause was that the plumber had removed another pipe which was meant to collect water from the entire terrace and take it to the drainage (will be changed soon to rain-water harvesting). So all the water collected on the terrace was rushing through this point and through the hole into the Home Theatre Room.

I decided not to attempt to fix this until daybreak as it would be too risky. So I blocked the hole from inside to the best possible, but still water was trickling in fast. I then mopped the adjoining room as there was a computer and a motorised threadmill in that room. Also, there was a chance of water entering the rest of the house if the level increased. After that, I went back to sleep checking every half an hour if mopping was required.

Finally, at around 5:30 AM, started collecting tools, nails etc for fixing the problem. It was still pouring heavily. I informed my dad about what my plans were and then headed to the terrace with some polycarbonate sheet, some nails and a hammer. Jumped to the neighbour's terrace and then back onto the sunshade. I then diverted the water flow using a long pipe and also nailed the polycarbonate sheet to cover the hole, thus blocking water to almost 99%of the original flow. With the problem now fixed, I prepared myself mentally for the Monday ahead. Luckily, the rest of the day went smooth. I have pictures taken pictures, will post this weekend.

Damages: Water had trickled into some of the panels and some of the fibreglass needs replacing. I was lucky to have used marine quality plywood and also to get there just in time. Carpenters spent atleast two hours cleaning and re-organising themselves that day as some areas were still damp.

2) Anutone Boards were slightly smaller compared to the Plywood Boards that I had gotten made. I had told the carpenter to make the boards 2 ft x 4 ft (24 x 48 inches) as the Anutone boards were also 2 ft x 4 ft. Little did I know that Anutone boards were smaller by half and inch on both sides. Anutone uses metric system for measurement and the boards are exactly 600 x 1200 mm. Now the problem is that the upper half of my walls are Plywood covered with fabric while the lower half is the anutone boards. Now, my plan was to have a groove like pattern between two boards from top to bottom and left to right. To achieve this, both plywood and anutone boards would need to be of the same size. I called up Praveen from Anutone and explained my problem to him. Today morning, he got back to me saying that he would get new boards made exactly of 24 x 48 inches. I will be getting the boards on Monday.

All is well now and things are back on track.

i wud advice you to go in for a projector,(hd ---either a 720/1080p) rather than the 50'' plasma , or have provision for both (ie mount the instalock PJ screen just in front of the space provided for the plasma) ----the PJ will thrill you far better than the plasma ( this is mainly for movies,, u can do your tv watching on the plasma)
in front of my projector (optoma HD65) my pana 42''pv8d plasma is totally lost it just pales out (u dont even feel like watching movies on it once u are used to a PJ
i am sure for the price of a 50'' plasma u wud surely get to buy a PJ

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back