Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

Two long days, no updates buddy:cool:

Whats up ? I believe the D-day is nearing.:)

Would love to know about the latest updates on the project.

Two long days, no updates buddy:cool:

Whats up ? I believe the D-day is nearing.:)

Would love to know about the latest updates on the project.

Sorry Pavan, no pictorial updates as USB access is blocked at my work place. At home, I have been too busy and hardly find any Internet time:eek:. Will post pictures this weekend.

One update is that I received the 120 inch diagonal Optoma Panoview screen - 16:9 . First impression when I saw it was :rolleyes:. I thought the long box which read "Projection Screen" was more than 10 feet long. I was worried if it would fit on my front wall. Took help from my neighbour and quickly unboxed it, more out of anxiety than excitement. Thank God!! The width measured to around 8.5 feet. My calculations did not go wrong. The quality of the screen is top notch when compared to few other brands that I checked.

The projector should reach me by 25th of this month. I will have one week to set it up.

Hopefully, I will be able to fit the projector mount and the projector screen this weekend. Monday is a holiday for me. If all goes as per plan, I should be able to hook up the stereo and listen to music for the first time in this room:yahoo:.

Sorry Pavan, no pictorial updates as USB access is blocked at my work place. At home, I have been too busy and hardly find any Internet time:eek:. Will post pictures this weekend.

One update is that I received the 120 inch diagonal Optoma Panoview screen - 16:9 . First impression when I saw it was :rolleyes:. I thought the long box which read "Projection Screen" was more than 10 feet long. I was worried if it would fit on my front wall. Took help from my neighbour and quickly unboxed it, more out of anxiety than excitement. Thank God!! The width measured to around 8.5 feet. My calculations did not go wrong. The quality of the screen is top notch when compared to few other brands that I checked.

The projector should reach me by 25th of this month. I will have one week to set it up.

Hopefully, I will be able to fit the projector mount and the projector screen this weekend. Monday is a holiday for me. If all goes as per plan, I should be able to hook up the stereo and listen to music for the first time in this room:yahoo:.
congrats on purchasing screen i too have that screen one word AWESOME :)
best of luck

I had been to Santhosh's place today:yahoo:

Just happy to see him toil his each and every minute on building and designing the Home Theatre.

But i know, end of the day, it'll be wonderful to sit and listen to your favourite music within the beauty of his Mini Theatre:eek:hyeah: And watch movies Multiplex style at Home.

I am waiting for the final outcome, Best of luck buddy.

Update:

There has been little or No Progress on the HT, hence no updates. Just some DIY like fitting few lights on my own, routing speaker cables through conduits etc. Pace is expected to pickup starting this Saturday as it is a long weekend and we have only one week for our "First Screening:)" which is on October 3rd, 2009. This is deliberate and is because we are at the finishing stages, I want to be around and ensure finishing is to my expectations.

OT: In the meanwhile, I put the carpenters on another dream project of mine - trying to make my garage look like this and this:licklips:.

I'm hoping this includes the cars as well...:licklips:
Thanks Mate!! May your wish come true:)

Actually, Automobiles are my favourite hobby and I like to 'DIY' as much as I can. If the work involved is complex, my mech comes home and we work together. Immediately after the HT project, I have to start restoring my 1955 American Willys Jeep:yahoo:. So, just creating a better environment for this. Also, I have a small collection of tools which I would like to organise better.

Been busy with the HT build, so could not post updates. Here goes:

Here is a pic of some lighting effects. I have used red LED spot lights on red cloth. Gives it a very dramatic effect, I must say:
DSC06785.jpg

The entrance to the HT has two doors. One is a normal wooden door and when you open that, I have a pair of doors (made it a pair to reduce space). here is how it looks now with some red LED spot lights. Door Handles are yet to be fitted.
DSC06792.jpg

The Optoma Panoview 120inch 16:9 screen was fitted last night. The black bracket that you see is for mounting the 42 inch Panny Plasma. Here is a WIP pic:
DSC06801.jpg

After fitting, it looks like this:yahoo:
DSC06803.jpg

Pending tasks that need to be completed by Friday:
1) I got some blue led rope lights in the cove. I shall post a picture when I am done. I will need your suggestion if I should change to red or leave it.
2) Doors need to be fitted
3) Area around the TV needs to be finished in black
4) Flooring - Initially, I am planning to go with an old carpet that I have lying at home. If I found the music to be alright, then I shall carpet it. If the sound seems lifeless, then I shall lay wooden flooring.
5) All the equipment needs to be hooked up. Cabling work is still pending, only speaker cables have been routed so far. This is one of the major task.
6) Plasma TV will be fitted tomorrow, the bracket was fitted too low
7) Optoma HD20 projector is yet to arrive. I have not been able to reach the chap who is getting this for me. I hope it reaches me by Friday at the latest.

I was taken for a ride by the Plasma dealer. He had delivered a demo piece. Thanks to a useful post by fellow member, Madbullram to find out Usage time. I will be posting my experience on that thread and paste link here. Anyways, since I was tough with them, I got the next higher model for the same price. Thanks to member Opert for some tips on how to threaten :clapping: and also letting me named some of his contacts in media.

I am taking half a day leave today to get work done. Logging off now.

I was taken for a ride by the Plasma dealer. He had delivered a demo piece. Thanks to a useful post by fellow member, Madbullram to find out Usage time. I will be posting my experience on that thread and paste link here. Anyways, since I was tough with them, I got the next higher model for the same price. Thanks to member Opert for some tips on how to threaten :clapping: and also letting me named some of his contacts in media.

You can find my Panasonic PV8 saga here:
http://www.hifivision.com/television/3597-pv8-80-service-menu-usage-time-4.html#post78039

All the best, looking forward for the completed setup. I like the red :)

Santhosh!!

I would prefer red.

Sumit

Thanks for helping me decide on the color to be used for the cove.

Even I wanted to go with red as it will gel with the rest of the room, but this picture below confused me.
Left-Front.jpg

Now, even I have a starlight ceiling. Even my room is done up in Red and Black. Do you still say "Red" for the cove:)?

I'll go by whatever you guys choose...Thanks again

Been busy with the HT build, so could not post updates. Here goes:

Here is a pic of some lighting effects. I have used red LED spot lights on red cloth. Gives it a very dramatic effect, I must say:
DSC06785.jpg

The entrance to the HT has two doors. One is a normal wooden door and when you open that, I have a pair of doors (made it a pair to reduce space). here is how it looks now with some red LED spot lights. Door Handles are yet to be fitted.
DSC06792.jpg

The Optoma Panoview 120inch 16:9 screen was fitted last night. The black bracket that you see is for mounting the 42 inch Panny Plasma. Here is a WIP pic:
DSC06801.jpg

After fitting, it looks like this:yahoo:
DSC06803.jpg

Pending tasks that need to be completed by Friday:
1) I got some blue led rope lights in the cove. I shall post a picture when I am done. I will need your suggestion if I should change to red or leave it.
2) Doors need to be fitted
3) Area around the TV needs to be finished in black
4) Flooring - Initially, I am planning to go with an old carpet that I have lying at home. If I found the music to be alright, then I shall carpet it. If the sound seems lifeless, then I shall lay wooden flooring.
5) All the equipment needs to be hooked up. Cabling work is still pending, only speaker cables have been routed so far. This is one of the major task.
6) Plasma TV will be fitted tomorrow, the bracket was fitted too low
7) Optoma HD20 projector is yet to arrive. I have not been able to reach the chap who is getting this for me. I hope it reaches me by Friday at the latest.

I am taking half a day leave today to get work done. Logging off now.

hi santhosh ,its turning out to look fantastic , hope you have enough space for your L/R main spkrs ,and also keep in mind if latter on you wud go in for some big sized tower speakers

I change my mind looking at the picture. " Blue looks fantastic"

I am highly impressed Santhosh. Fabulous job.

Sumit

hi santhosh ,its turning out to look fantastic , hope you have enough space for your L/R main spkrs ,and also keep in mind if latter on you wud go in for some big sized tower speakers

Thanks Subhash. You are right about the space, there is a little more than 1 feet on either sides of the screen. I have two sets of speakers as below:
1) Jamo E570 Floorstanders - Will be used for Home Theater and some genres in 2.1(have a Jamo sub200) mode using my AVR. These will be closest to the left and right walls. I do not expect any problems here as the space should suffice even after I have providing some space between the side and rear walls + toe-in. However, I do expect problems with my second set of front speakers.

2) B&W DM610 Bookshelves - Will be used purely for listening to stereo connected to my power and pre combo. These are mounted on custom made stands and will be placed next the Jamo speakers (on the inner). I do expect height related problems. i.e., I will not be able to see portions of the screen as these speakers will come in the way. The workaround is that I will have to lift them off the stands and place them on the floor while watching movies. The stands do not need to be moved as they are two feet in height and lower than the screen

Sorry if I have confused you with the arrangement. Just imagine two pairs of speakers on either side. The ones on the outer are the Jamos while the inner set are B&Ws.

Is anyone able to think of any other ideas to overcome this? I shall post a picture when I have the speakers are ready to move in to the HT Room.

I change my mind looking at the picture. " Blue looks fantastic"

I am highly impressed Santhosh. Fabulous job.

Sumit

Thanks again Sumit. Will stick to blue rope lights for the cove then:) BTW, that picture with the blue cove light is not from my Home Theater. I found that on another online forum.

Last edited:
Thanks Subhash. You are right about the space, there is a little more than 1 feet on either sides of the screen. I have two sets of speakers as below:
1) Jamo E570 Floorstanders - Will be used for Home Theater and some genres in 2.1(have a Jamo sub200) mode using my AVR. These will be closest to the left and right walls. I do not expect any problems here as the space should suffice even after I have providing some space between the side and rear walls + toe-in. However, I do expect problems with my second set of front speakers.

2) B&W DM610 Bookshelves - Will be used purely for listening to stereo connected to my power and pre combo. These are mounted on custom made stands and will be placed next the Jamo speakers (on the inner). I do expect height related problems. i.e., I will not be able to see portions of the screen as these speakers will come in the way. The workaround is that I will have to lift them off the stands and place them on the floor while watching movies. The stands do not need to be moved as they are two feet in height and lower than the screen

Sorry if I have confused you with the arrangement. Just imagine two pairs of speakers on either side. The ones on the outer are the Jamos while the inner set are B&Ws.

Is anyone able to think of any other ideas to overcome this? I shall post a picture when I have the speakers are ready to move in to the HT Room.

Thanks again Sumit. Will stick to blue rope lights for the cove then:) BTW, that picture with the blue cove light is not from my Home Theater. I found that on another online forum.

hi santosh, instead of using 2 sets of L/R spkrs i wud suggest u go in for one good pair and use different pre /power combo for music and use the same power amp to drive the mains via the AVR for movies
the reason being ----once u get used to good sounding 2 channel music u wud also want a similar sound for movies , which a standalone AVR wud not give then begins the horrible effects of being bitten by the upgrade bug!!

hi santosh, instead of using 2 sets of L/R spkrs i wud suggest u go in for one good pair and use different pre /power combo for music and use the same power amp to drive the mains via the AVR for movies
the reason being ----once u get used to good sounding 2 channel music u wud also want a similar sound for movies , which a standalone AVR wud not give then begins the horrible effects of being bitten by the upgrade bug!!

Santhosh!!

I agree with Subhash to an extent. I would say just keep a single pair of speakers simply for the sake of convenience. It is not easy moving the speakers everytime when you switch from movies to music.

If your AVR has 7.1 pre-out than you can use the same pair of speakers for AVR and Stere pre-power without changing the speaker wires. I am having a similar setup. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!!

Santhosh!!

I agree with Subhash to an extent. I would say just keep a single pair of speakers simply for the sake of convenience. It is not easy moving the speakers everytime when you switch from movies to music.

If your AVR has 7.1 pre-out than you can use the same pair of speakers for AVR and Stere pre-power without changing the speaker wires. I am having a similar setup. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!!

Thanks Subhash and Sumit. I shall try this and let you guys know.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back