Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

hi, santosh ,whats hapenning with the set up??
Thanks for bumping my thread. I have not updated this as I did not have any pictures to post.

I got everything hooked up and am happy with the Audio and Video capability of my equipment. Also, very impressed with the way the room is able to handle bass. There are a few sound leaks that I need to seal.

I am impressed with the performance of the Optoma HD20. But one issue that I was facing was that I was unable to project a 120 inch image with the Optoma HD20. It lacks placement flexibility found in other projectors. The only way I can get a 120 inch is by moving the Projector physically backwards. So, I have made a shelf on the rear wall on which the projector will be placed mounted upside down. Infact, I am having to design the shelf such that I get some flexibility to move it up and down until I am able to get the correct image. Once I am happy with the projection, I should be able to lock it in place. The solution involves Stainless Steel Studs, suction cups and a 8mm glass. Will post pictures when I am done. Currently I am using a small piece of wood to lift the front portion of the projector and am able to get a full 120 inch image. I am unable to push the projector further behind because the HDMI cable and the power cable push it back because of the flex (or the lack of it). I need to procure right-angled power cables and hdmi female to male coupler from US. Does anyone know of availability here?

When I say the Projector lacks flexibility, it is because of the following reasons:
a) The lens is on one side of the projector and I have to physically move it to right so that the lens is positioned to the center of the room
b) Zoom is minimal and I have to move the projector physically backwards to cover the white area on my 120 inch screen
c) On the shelf that I have made, it would have been so much easy if I could have just placed it on its adjustable legs. I have to place it upside down because only then I am able to get the image to project on the screen. If I place it on its legs, the Projector thinks it is being placed on a table in front of the screen and projects the image in the upward direction which is actually the ceiling:D
d) There is very little Keystone and Image shift

I am told that this is how DLP projectors are, not sure as I do not have any experience on projectors. So far, everything has been DIY after following the user manual.

Also, I have to get rid of the Projector mount that I had fitted earlier.

Thanks for your guidance over phone about Projector settings etc.

BTW, I also bought some gadget/accessories for the Home Theater. Here's the small list:
a) Xtreamer
b) Sony PS3 Slim - Locked to Region A for Blu Ray
c) Logitech 525 Universal Remote
d) SONIQ 1.3b certified HDMI cable from Australia
e) 1 TB WD External Hard Drive
f) 60 GB Trek Hard Drive (larger than a USB stick but smaller an external Hard Drive)
g) Fire Extinguisher

Last edited:
hi, santosh
as our room sizes are almost same , i dint have any of the difficulties in mounting the optoma hd65 as the dealer himself mounted it for me , and it does cover my screen size completely

i think dlp models does have placement restrictions compared to lcd s

regarding cables try to contact mx , i heard they have come up with a wide range of cables for all needs , will msg u thier contact

hi, santosh
as our room sizes are almost same , i dint have any of the difficulties in mounting the optoma hd65 as the dealer himself mounted it for me , and it does cover my screen size completely

i think dlp models does have placement restrictions compared to lcd s
Your room is 15 feet in length while mine is 14. According to the manual, to project an image of 120 inch, I need a distance of 13.1 feet. The length of the projector is 9.2 inches and the cables at the rear as mentioned before are taking atleast three inches because they are stubborn:). I am able to project 120 inches now, but would like to place the projector closer to the wall so I don't have to use the zoom.

regarding cables try to contact mx , i heard they have come up with a wide range of cables for all needs , will msg u thier contact

Bandridge and few others have a maximum length of 5 meter. I needed 10 meters length for the HDMI cable. Before getting my HDMI cable from australia, I checked at MX, but they did not have Full-HD certified cables. Also, I checked with several dealers and they all were quoting 8 to 10k for a 10 meter cable. So, I got mine 1.3b certified cable from Australia for 100 AUD (Rs.4000 approx). I bought a 10 meter 720p cable from MX for my Panasonic 720p tv for Rs.900. It works fine.

Also, I went to the MX shop on S.P Road as recently as Saturday but they still don't have Full-HD certified cables (with flexible ends). I asked them about the new MX cables featured in AV Max and What Hi-Fi, they have no clue.

I checked several shops in S.P Road but could not find a right angled power cable or a hdmi coupler. This is what I am after.

Right Angled Power Cable:
Amazon.com: 6 ft Universal Right Angle Both Sided Power Cord: Electronics

Right Angled HDMI Coupler:
Amazon.com: HDMI Right Angle Male to Female Adapter: Electronics

Using these, I can place it closer to the wall. Any help is appreciated. This can wait, I am in no hurry.

Also, is it a problem placing the Projector just under the A/C? Since, I was not sure, I have changed the A/C to blow upwards now.

Hi,

It has taken me almost full 3 hours for me to read your DIY for Home Theatre in minute details... So Nice you have dedicated time on that.. I am using HD projector for last 2 years and since i dont have extra room i could not do that,, With living room itself i will immerse in to the movie, could visualize how people will get sunk in the effect in dedicated.

I use projector for watching movies for the last 4-1/2 years starting from my still owned DLP-Benq(480P)- still popping up good pictures in SD DVD's and went to HD with my Mits4900 around 2 years back. Happy with that experience.. Last week only i went to Motorized screen of matt white of Liberty, but I could not see much difference between my fixed frame-wall painted, hence replacing this week with Silver Grey to test any difference in PQ.

We all Expect some more finished photos of your HT and picture popped screen this week...

Regards

Your room is 15 feet in length while mine is 14. According to the manual, to project an image of 120 inch, I need a distance of 13.1 feet. The length of the projector is 9.2 inches and the cables at the rear as mentioned before are taking atleast three inches because they are stubborn:). I am able to project 120 inches now, but would like to place the projector closer to the wall so I don't have to use the zoom.

Bandridge and few others have a maximum length of 5 meter. I needed 10 meters length for the HDMI cable. Before getting my HDMI cable from australia, I checked at MX, but they did not have Full-HD certified cables. Also, I checked with several dealers and they all were quoting 8 to 10k for a 10 meter cable. So, I got mine 1.3b certified cable from Australia for 100 AUD (Rs.4000 approx). I bought a 10 meter 720p cable from MX for my Panasonic 720p tv for Rs.900. It works fine.

Also, I went to the MX shop on S.P Road as recently as Saturday but they still don't have Full-HD certified cables (with flexible ends). I asked them about the new MX cables featured in AV Max and What Hi-Fi, they have no clue.

I checked several shops in S.P Road but could not find a right angled power cable or a hdmi coupler. This is what I am after.

Right Angled Power Cable:
Amazon.com: 6 ft Universal Right Angle Both Sided Power Cord: Electronics

Right Angled HDMI Coupler:
Amazon.com: HDMI Right Angle Male to Female Adapter: Electronics

Using these, I can place it closer to the wall. Any help is appreciated. This can wait, I am in no hurry.

Also, is it a problem placing the Projector just under the A/C? Since, I was not sure, I have changed the A/C to blow upwards now.

i had the doubt of placing the PJ below the AC too, i contacted kalpesh @ hansa pic and was told that the cold air from the AC shud not directly hit the PJ when in use, as this wud lead to condensation problems, and was advised to have the PJ above the AC unit

so i guess ,main thing is the cold air shud not directly hit the PJ when in use

this is how i have mounted the AC/PJ

Last edited:
Hi,

It has taken me almost full 3 hours for me to read your DIY for Home Theatre in minute details... So Nice you have dedicated time on that.. I am using HD projector for last 2 years and since i dont have extra room i could not do that,, With living room itself i will immerse in to the movie, could visualize how people will get sunk in the effect in dedicated.

I use projector for watching movies for the last 4-1/2 years starting from my still owned DLP-Benq(480P)- still popping up good pictures in SD DVD's and went to HD with my Mits4900 around 2 years back. Happy with that experience..
I knew you had two screens(from your other thread), but missed the fact that you had two projectors - one for Standard Definition and the other for High Definition. Also read about your collection here. One must appreciate your passion...Cheers

Last week only i went to Motorized screen of matt white of Liberty, but I could not see much difference between my fixed frame-wall painted, hence replacing this week with Silver Grey to test any difference in PQ.
We discussed this over PM, but I thought the only reason you went in for another screen was to be able to watch older movies which are of 4:3 format. Also from what I have read, one would need to go for a Grey screen only when the Projector is very bright. I may be wrong though.

We all Expect some more finished photos of your HT and picture popped screen this week...

Regards

Will post pics soon. I am not very good at photography and my digital camera is very bad when there is little of no lighting, so have asked a friend to help.

i had the doubt of placing the PJ below the AC too, i contacted kalpesh @ hansa pic and was told that the cold air from the AC shud not directly hit the PJ when in use, as this wud lead to condensation problems, and was advised to have the PJ above the AC unit

so i guess ,main thing is the cold air shud not directly hit the PJ when in use
this is how i have mounted the AC/PJ
Hmmm, this is a problem then. I cannot relocate the AC now as all the ducting has been done in a concealed manner and I am stuck with placement options. Will need to fabricate something to prevent cold air from getting in. Funny, in automobiles(my other hobby), I have had to fabricate so that cold air reaches the air-filter. Here it is the other way round. No worries, will do whatever is required to keep my Projector warm from the cruel A/C:)

Last edited:
----

Yes we corresponded thru PM and later only got interested with your post and ear marked and read it today.

Regarding screen read a lot of things about original silver http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=262466( not grey) screen , In the year 2004 when i deceided to go for projector that time i could not go with any motorzied scren due to heavily priced, that time it is around 85,000. This time i tried to take review of Liberty screen whereever i read, no body is owning it.. So I try to plunged into it because of cost factor, local hifi people given good review, but no body is interested to take me to their customer place for demo neither they have one. Month beginning Silver Grey is not available and went for Matte White and this week it is available and requested the distributor if i could exchange it with any price difference and heartily he has agreed. Will see e any improvement is there.. I hope to see. will post the pic in two days on arrival,, by the way it is 16:9 only available at 110".

Url Link for Screen shoot out made in year 2003 : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=262466

Last edited:
Thanks for those links Srinisundar. I am a member in avsforums too but missed these threads as I am not very regular there.

Kudos to you for sourcing a Silver colored Screen. Sourcing a 16:9 Projector Screen of your itself is a big task. I must have searched for more than a month and all the dealers try to push 4:3 or even 1:1 format screens. I finally got my Optoma Panoview 16:9 from Hyderabad. Opert is still trying to source a 135 inch screen in 16:9 format and has not been successful so far.

Thanks for those links Srinisundar. I am a member in avsforums too but missed these threads as I am not very regular there.

Kudos to you for sourcing a Silver colored Screen. Sourcing a 16:9 Projector Screen of your itself is a big task. I must have searched for more than a month and all the dealers try to push 4:3 or even 1:1 format screens. I finally got my Optoma Panoview 16:9 from Hyderabad. Opert is still trying to source a 135 inch screen in 16:9 format and has not been successful so far.

hi santosh , kindly post a pic of your 16;9 screen

Santhosh, Subhash and Srinsundar: I have been meaning to post regarding my DIY fixed frame screen but have been lazy:indifferent14:

I used to own a 4:3 screen long back. Then I bought a liberty 100" diagonal 4:3 screen as I could not find a 16:9. Basically, I did not try to find it hard enough. I did not used to pull it down fully and I used it as a 16:9.

Then with the help of write-up from projectorcentral.com, I cut this 4:3 pulldown with lock arrangement screen and made myself a fixed frame screen. I tell you it looks cool and wasn't that hard a task. A skilled carpenter can get it done easily.

I will post the making of the screen in a couple of days in the DIY section.

Cheers!!

hi santosh , kindly post a pic of your 16;9 screen
Subhash, this is what I have for now. Will take better pics this weekend and post. I am sure you have seen this before:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/santhoshl/Home Theatre Project/DSC06803.jpg

Santhosh, Subhash and Srinsundar: I have been meaning to post regarding my DIY fixed frame screen but have been lazy:indifferent14:

I used to own a 4:3 screen long back. Then I bought a liberty 100" diagonal 4:3 screen as I could not find a 16:9. Basically, I did not try to find it hard enough. I did not used to pull it down fully and I used it as a 16:9.

Then with the help of write-up from projectorcentral.com, I cut this 4:3 pulldown with lock arrangement screen and made myself a fixed frame screen. I tell you it looks cool and wasn't that hard a task. A skilled carpenter can get it done easily.

I will post the making of the screen in a couple of days in the DIY section.

Cheers!!
Wow, thats a very nice idea Sumit. Opert(Deepak) and myself only thought of not pulling it down fully. Never did it occur to me that we could cut it from beneath. Please post the link and also your DIY instructions. I have found a 12 feet long screen in 4:3 format, we can convert that into a 135 inch 16:9 screen for Opert.

Subhash, this is what I have for now. Will take better pics this weekend and post. I am sure you have seen this before:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/santhoshl/Home Theatre Project/DSC06803.jpg

Wow, thats a very nice idea Sumit. Opert(Deepak) and myself only thought of not pulling it down fully. Never did it occur to me that we could cut it from beneath. Please post the link and also your DIY instructions. I have found a 12 feet long screen in 4:3 format, we can convert that into a 135 inch 16:9 screen for Opert.

thanks santosh saw the sreen pic of yours ,its similar to mine

Sure Santhosh, I shall be glad to help. I am afraid that I am traveling till Monday. I shall try to post it on Tuesday evening.

Cheers.

Sure Santhosh, I shall be glad to help. I am afraid that I am traveling till Monday. I shall try to post it on Tuesday evening.

Cheers.

Sumit, It is glad that u r solving everybody's problem of 4:3 into dream 16:9... kudos to you.. Look forward to see your DIY activity. Not to ask this here, what is ur comment on Liberty screen quality..

thanks

Sumit,
could not wait till monday, since we got answer from you, Curiuosly searched in AV forum for your cut down method,, unable to find,, so will wait for your reply.

I could not take pictures of the screen this weekend. So, I am posting pictures that I took some two weeks ago.

These are perfect examples of how not to shoot pictures:lol:. First mistake is that I shot them from my seating position which was towards the left of the room(I was trying to impress my dad by showing off the surround effect. So he was sitting in the sweet spot). Second mistake was that I shot the images without pausing the movie - Add to that my photographic skills (lack of it) and some noob setting for slow shutter speed and no tripod. This is what you get.

Also, I have not yet changed any of the factory settings. Will get down to all this after solving bigger issues that I have with projector placement etc. Still have to adjust keystone, imageshift etc.

Next weekend, I shall post better pics, will request my photography-enthusiast friend to take soem pictures.

These are from the movie Jodha Akbar. It is a 720P upscaled version, decent quality.

DSC06938.jpg

DSC06940.jpg

DSC06943.jpg

DSC06944.jpg

Last edited:
These are pictures from my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma TV.

I am watching a HD version of BBC's Top Gear

DSC06924.jpg

DSC06925.jpg

A song scene from HD version of Shivaji:
DSC06929.jpg

Santhosh,

Thanks for your full blow pics... First to tell photography you have taken is not bad comparing to mine.. You got a good shot from the movie while it is running no blurs...urs is perfect one except first which is a long shot. Kudos u have a perfect dark room..

The seating position you have sit and shoot in the angle is the testing postion, angular sitting we should have a good view without loosing colour clarity and shades that is right screen and rightly coated one and everybody enjoy the similar content projected. Yours is perfect.

Person sitting in the centre in the hotspot will enjoy all kind of screens, since his viewing angle is same with the projector dead centre.

could you please post in flickr or picassa, so that we can view in large size of the pics u have taken. That will be nice.

Enjoy..

Regards

Santhosh,

Thanks for your full blow pics... First to tell photography you have taken is not bad comparing to mine.. You got a good shot from the movie while it is running no blurs...urs is perfect one except first which is a long shot. Kudos u have a perfect dark room..

I have shot almost 15 pics while the movie was running. Only these are in somewhat presentable quality.

The seating position you have sit and shoot in the angle is the testing postion, angular sitting we should have a good view without loosing colour clarity and shades that is right screen and rightly coated one and everybody enjoy the similar content projected. Yours is perfect.

Person sitting in the centre in the hotspot will enjoy all kind of screens, since his viewing angle is same with the projector dead centre.

Could you guide me with some tips on how to test projector? I will do these tests once I have set up my projector properly which is by this weekend max. My friends want to watch the last Forumal1 GP at my place and they will kille me if it is not ready. If we miss it we'll have to wait another 6 months for next season. I also have to get Tata Sky Plus installed this week.

could you please post in flickr or picassa, so that we can view in large size of the pics u have taken. That will be nice.
Will do soon mate.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back