Buying a TV- Need Advice

rrawal

Hello friends,

I am looking to buy a 40" TV and needed some advice from the gurus on this form.

A little history: I have bought 2 LEDs in last 2.5 years and they both conked off. First one was a series 6 Samsung LED which failed just 1 week before the warranty ended and second one a Sony EX720 which served me for 1.5 yrs and died when my dish antenna caught the lightning charge and transmitted it to my TAT Sky box and TV, blowing both of them.

Now i am on lookout for a new TV and confused a bit. I am getting a good deal on Sony LCD BX450 full definition and was wondering is LCD better than buying a LED. I have a old Sony LCD that is working well for last 5 years in my parents room.

If I opt to go for LED, i have looked at Sony R452A and Samsung F5100 TV and both look good.I have decided not to go for a smart TV or a 3D TV as I have not used these features ever. The models mentioned above are available for lesser price in Gaffar market. Should I buy from dealer or grey market? If LED's are so fragile, does it make sense to pay extra for a LED?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Thanks

Hello friends,

I am looking to buy a 40" TV and needed some advice from the gurus on this form.

A little history: I have bought 2 LEDs in last 2.5 years and they both conked off. First one was a series 6 Samsung LED which failed just 1 week before the warranty ended and second one a Sony EX720 which served me for 1.5 yrs and died when my dish antenna caught the lightning charge and transmitted it to my TAT Sky box and TV, blowing both of them.

Now i am on lookout for a new TV and confused a bit. I am getting a good deal on Sony LCD BX450 full definition and was wondering is LCD better than buying a LED. I have a old Sony LCD that is working well for last 5 years in my parents room.

If I opt to go for LED, i have looked at Sony R452A and Samsung F5100 TV and both look good.I have decided not to go for a smart TV or a 3D TV as I have not used these features ever. The models mentioned above are available for lesser price in Gaffar market. Should I buy from dealer or grey market? If LED's are so fragile, does it make sense to pay extra for a LED?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Thanks

Hi,
You are accurate in saying that 'LEDs are very fragile'. This inference is very much applicable for all panel TVs (LCD/Plasma) across all brands in the market. They are very unreliable and it is a mandate that everyone should opt for the extended warranty to be on the safer zone for atleast 2 or 3 years.
If Gaffar market seller is not providing you company extended warranty please stay away for grey market.
Choosing LCD over LED is good idea considering the fact that it is 25 percent cheaper than its LED counterpart. LEDs are actually LCDs with LED backlit. A full array non dimming LED is in no way better in PQ than an LCD. The only difference comes in the form of electric consumption and peak luminescence. LED backlit LCDs are more energy efficient and deliver better white than CCFL backlit LCDs.
Have a look at SONY W650A which has local dimming (Frame dimming) ensuring better contrast ratio.

Stay away from gaffar market.... few component they changed with duplicate parts.....company will not service them and you will be scratching your head...However samsung f-5100 is good tv and buy from dealer only ...you may take extended amc for 3 years.......led and lcd both are same in my opinion in durability..i have two led of around 5 years both working exceptionally well ......accident can happen to any tv....lighting was accident .....take precaution by installing lighting arrestor ..

Thanks Swarna & Pradhan for your response. I guess i will go with F5100, F5500 from a dealer. I hear that Samsung is giving a triple protection for free i.e. 2 yrs extended warranty on SMPS.

Do you have any feedback on UA40F5100 or UA40F5500?

Samsung series 5 delivers good enough PQ that can bring delight to your face. Go ahead and pick 40f5100 as there are great reviews for this set. You may also consider samsung plasma 43f4900 if you are not opposed to plasma. This plasma is arguably the best tv delivering awesome pq at your price range.

I hear that Samsung is giving a triple protection for free i.e. 2 yrs extended warranty on SMPS.
18.gif

Stay away from gaffar market.... few component they changed with duplicate parts.....company will not service them and you will be scratching your head...However samsung f-5100 is good tv and buy from dealer only ...you may take extended amc for 3 years.......led and lcd both are same in my opinion in durability..i have two led of around 5 years both working exceptionally well ......accident can happen to any tv....lighting was accident .....take precaution by installing lighting arrestor ..

For benefit of all members please share more on lighting arrester? How to install..What is it? From where to get

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back