Buying Accuphase through Japanese website through White Rabbit Express

vsg

Hi,

I think this may have been answered before, has anyone bought any audio gear online through the Japanese website using White Rabbit Express?
White Rabbit seems to be a credible name at least what online reviews suggest.

Was thinking of buying one of the accuphase amps online using White Rabbit, but wasn't sure what can be the potential issues, also What are the additional charges one can expect (customs etc) and how smooth is the process?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i have used kuboten service around 6 -7 years back for vintage DACs. I had to pay import duty and shipping rates were decent. you might want to check out kuboten website.

Hi,

I think this may have been answered before, has anyone bought any audio gear online through the Japanese website using White Rabbit Express?

Was thinking of buying one of the accuphase amps online using White Rabbit, but wasn't sure what can be the potential issues, also What are the additional charges one can expect (customs etc) and how smooth is the process?

I am not sure of White Rabbit although have used similiar services in the US.
Will you be getting the 220V ?

If buying from Japan, the voltage will always be 100V.. Best to import from HK.. you might pay a bit more but it will be 220V and no step down transformer needed...
Are you sure? In Japan, for domestic use, its 100V, but most products sold internationally are 110V/220V

Hi,

For Accuphase E 650 from Rakuten the the final quote is coming to 6.5L INR without Customs. I was given a best quote of 7.5L, from Indian Dealership for 220v model few months ago. If you get a Good deal then it might be worth it, but Pre-owned, demo or unboxed deals are out of question because of Voltage incompatibility. That leaves you with very narrow margin of benefits without a warranty, I am not sure if it's worth the effort.

For Accuphase E 650 from Rakuten the the final quote is coming to 6.5L INR without Customs. I was given a best quote of 7.5L, from Indian Dealership for 220v model few months ago. If you get a Good deal then it might be worth it, but Pre-owned, demo or unboxed deals are out of question because of Voltage incompatibility. That leaves you with very narrow margin of benefits without a warranty, I am not sure if it's worth the effort.
What a rip off. Almost double.
Cheers,
Sid

I am not sure of White Rabbit although have used similiar services in the US.
Will you be getting the 220V ?
Guess not...should be 100v..In Bangalore have a person supplying vertex stabilizers..he confirmed supplying step down converters for high powered amps...

7.5L would be a good price of new E650..in audio union it's listed at 7.5k USD i.e. around 5.6L. But is 100V..on that I am told there will be around 40% increase due customs and other charges...so it will come to same as your dealer price or maybe more..that too without warranty. The problem is regular Indian sites are showing prices double of that.

Not to go OT, but for that price range do consider this option as well. New/dealer supported/ with full warranty, when it gets back in stock of-course. It is 33% over US price.
I have heard the previous version which was very good.
Please no luxman vs accuphase flames, this is just my personal view.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi,

I have imported 2 amp from Japan one Yamaha and another luxman.both 100v works flawlessly with 100v stepdown transformer here, secondly import duties are very High so better if u got gud deal here just go for it.
Buying from Japan is not much risky in my case sellers sent me the exact product as I ordered.

@vsg

Has anyone else ended up trying this White Rabbit Express?

I need to buy an Accuphase phono card, and am thinking of trying it out.

Any experiences good or bad?

I have imported 2 amp from Japan one Yamaha and another luxman.both 100v works flawlessly with 100v stepdown transformer here, secondly import duties are very High so better if u got gud deal here just go for it.
Buying from Japan is not much risky in my case sellers sent me the exact product as I ordered.
Hi Yogitashwer,

Could you pls guide us through how you baught from Japan. Are there any other means of importing from Japan?

I have imported total of 2 Amps and 1 TT from Japan using Zenmarket.

First was a Sansui AU D707 shipped thru UPS, had to pay exorbitant duties and I'm sure UPS took a cut in duties charged as no custome receipt was given.

Second was a Sansui Alpha MR 607. It was bought thru Zenmarket and shipped thu EMS ( international parcel service). Arrived intact, duties were charged on declared CIF value. All peace.

Third was a NOS Technics SL1200 MK5. Again thru EMS. No problems but arrived with a cracked dustcover. Duties @ 45% approx of CIF value.

It not advisable to buy internationally now. I have heard duties are being charged at upto 80% of declared value.

The thing is once your item has landed here and some extra zealous customes officer has assessed your item at higher value then you are stuck with paying duties at higher value.

Lowering declared value to save duties is not adviced as customs officials have access to all data including MRP and value of item.

Unless the difference is huge don't attempt to do it.

It's lot of hassle and there's no way you can know in advance how much you are going to spend in the end.

Buy locally.

Hi Yogitashwer,

Could you pls guide us through how you baught from Japan. Are there any other means of importing from Japan?
I bought through ebay the deal was fair and product was genuine though the custom was high.
No other method is there u have to pass through indian customs buy paying hefty amount.

@vsg

I just took delivery of my phono card via White Rabbit. It was hassle free experience. Brilliant actually. Thanks to this thread for making this service known to me.

@vsg

I would guess that the phono card would be beaten by any ordinary phono stage. But if you have a pre power set-up, then the Accuphase option board will easily equal a $1500 phono stage. In an integrated, it just does not come into its own. This is based on my own experience in shifting from a class AB integrated to class AB pre power in Accuphase. The once discarded option board sounded superb, immediately.

IMO the AD-50 is brilliant. I, of course, haven't compared it to any other phono stage, but am not feeling the need for it.

Perhaps things have improved since the AD-20?

I think what I meant was that the plug in phono truly delivers only in a preamp, not in an integrated. That was the conclusion from my AD20, and it might be interesting to test it out on the AD50 also. I think the critical difference is sharing power with too many other things in an integrated, whereas in a pre amp, that issue is largely avoided.

Back