Buying LCD TV in Gray Market (Burma Bazaar)

VeluSaravanan

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum newly, I need a suggestion to buy SONY 40EX400 LCD TV in Gray Market (Burma Bazaar). In Sony World the rate is 60K, in Burma bazaar its only 44K. One of my colleague father has shop in Burma Bazaar, I am planning to buy is reference.
Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Well all you will miss out is the 1 year warranty and the fifa football replica.
16k is a huge price difference and i would gladly buy them in the grey market.

Wonderful price to miss it!!!
Somewhere in my mind it keeps ringing - what if its going kaput? What if there is some fault in the screen? What if there are other issues? Will the sony service center encourage it? Or the burma bazaar folk will give a replacement? Is there options in burma bazaar to check the product before its bought? (Ok, its by reference, so there are chances of getting replaced.). Ok.. then chennai folks can get a bang for the buck :yahoo: by buying all required stuff from your reference in burma bazaar!!! Point point point... its the after sales service that matters!! :sad:

I sugges that you shop around... just now got a quote for 55k (40"-EX400) in Hyd with B&W... the least price quoted on ebay is 52k (might be gray)... Once you get the least quote, you can then decide whether the 1year warranty is worth the difference between dealer price and burma-bazaar...

Well yes you can check the product in the grey market,yes sony service centre will give a paid service.
Do not sony lcds sell like hot cakes in grey market,since they are quite cheap.
Chennai is the first destination for lcds when they arrive from bangkok and then via train to other places in south india.

Well yes you can check the product in the grey market,yes sony service centre will give a paid service.
Do not sony lcds sell like hot cakes in grey market,since they are quite cheap.
Chennai is the first destination for lcds when they arrive from bangkok and then via train to other places in south india.

Hey adder, Is it not a risk?
What if the panel is faulty or has dead pixels or has permenent damage.
These are somethings which cannot be fixed by paid service.

One more info I hear is that the rejected pieces, ie customer takes it home and finds a fault and returns back or company seconds (like ones with dead pixels ets), are mostly sold in grey market. What if you end up with one of those?

I mean, if the TV needs replacement, what are the options? I dont even worry about the service honestly only replacement level issues stops me from entering into grey market arena.

Thanks to everyone for valuable comments. I am really confused...... Mostly I will visit the shop on monday and I will decide.

Last edited:

One more info I hear is that the rejected pieces, ie customer takes it home and finds a fault and returns back or company seconds (like ones with dead pixels ets), are mostly sold in grey market. What if you end up with one of those?

I mean, if the TV needs replacement, what are the options? I dont even worry about the service honestly only replacement level issues stops me from entering into grey market arena.
That is what you call "Seconds Goods" they are different from grey market ones..there might be a one of case, but most are imported from countries which are tax havens..

Well one can always check the actual tv they are buying for dead pixels & sub pixels etc before buying.
Again some companies don't even replace lcd panels just because of one or two dead pixels even if its under warranty and in showrooms one usually never get to see the actual product they are buying.only after the product is brought to their house can one see the actual tv that they have bought and what panel it has( in the case of samsung,philips,)

They are sealed pieces imported just the previous day or even the same day ,till this date i haven't seen a rejected piece or even a single lcd and i have seen plenty of grey lcds that my friends theirs friend ,my relatives their friends who had asked my help in purchasing lcds from grey market & not a single one has ever reported any problem.Some of the lcds are more then 6 years old.

Last edited:
They are sealed pieces imported just the previous day or even the same day ,till this date i haven't seen a rejected piece or even a single lcd and i have seen plenty of grey lcds that my friends theirs friend ,my relatives their friends who had asked my help in purchasing lcds from grey market & not a single one has ever reported any problem.Some of the lcds are more then 6 years old.

That boosts confidence.
Though I think you should have the right contacts for getting a good piece.

Thanks Siva, if you dont have any issues please share your friend details? So I can cross verify with him before buying.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Finally I got my Sony 40EX400 yesterday, because of the demand (in gray market) I was able to get it now only. Tv rocks with tatasky HD channels........ amazing...... SD is ok.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable inpouts.

Hi!

I also got myself 46 EX 700 from gray market for 100000/- and show room price was 135000/- This is huge saving and secoundly nothing happens to the screen. JUST REMEMBER TO PUT A APC UPS into your TV.

Hi!

I also got myself 46 EX 700 from gray market for 100000/- and show room price was 135000/- This is huge saving and secoundly nothing happens to the screen. JUST REMEMBER TO PUT A APC UPS into your TV.

Well congrats ,but i would put a v-guard digital stabilizer or a online UPS,rather then line interactive ups ,reason being for eg the APC ups will start doing AVR only when voltage goes below 199v or above 253v,so it will pass voltage upto 253v,which is more then the operating voltage range of tvs at 240v.

where as a stabilizer like v-guard digital series won't allow voltages above 240v,it maintains a voltages mostly at 220v to 230v.

You can however programme the APC UPS via serial port by calling the apc technician to lower the AVR range to 240v.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back