Buying LCD TV in Gray Market (Burma Bazaar)

Murali,

First things first. Let's not mention "problem with us even after 63 years of independence". It becomes mockery of those who gave up their lives to arrest freedom.

Reaction is fine but I do not agree with the way you reacted. You missed the point somewhere. Not everyone on this forum is an audiophile or videophile. I have seen people write "experts please help". So then the experts are morally bound to give the right guidance.

Censorship is very important. Read your post. Why have you decided to say goodbye? Just because you did not concur with certain rules or something that was being discussed? So your decision in itself is censorship. Now when it comes to a billion, each one cannot censor; hence laws and rules.

Every discussion has two or more viewpoints else it is not a discussion at all.

I don't want to be desperate to prove my point. I stand by what I expressed. My request you stay on and contribute to HFV.

Last edited:
Ya man.... reminds me of the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" where Paul Newman says "If only he'd pay me to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him".....
Likewise, in a different context, if only they sold items (in this case TV) at a reasonable price (i.e. @ the same price at which they are being in the US) then who would go and buy from the grey market? Even here we often discuss that if price difference is only about 2k or 3k then it's always advisable to buy from showroom. It is because companies are trying to maximize profit or because the Govt is trying to (over)tax everything that there is a grey market in the first place.

Last edited:
Ya man.... reminds me of the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" where Paul Newman says "If only he'd pay me to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him".....
Likewise, in a different context, if only they sold items (in this case TV) at a reasonable price (i.e. @ the same price at which they are being in the US) then who would go and buy from the grey market? Even here we often discuss that if price difference is only about 2k or 3k then it's always advisable to buy from showroom. It is because companies are trying to maximize profit or because the Govt is trying to (over)tax everything that there is a grey market in the first place.

Mobile companies realized this fast and now mobile branded grey market is almost gone.Pc and peripherals market is moving in same direction. Unfortunately entertainment electronics is not learning this.

Well don't forget that some stuff isn't available officially.The only option is grey market.

Ordering stuff from abroad doesn't always work,i had ordered a spare part for the bike ,when the package arrived its was if it came under a road roller.

A few years ago the radio control car that i ordered never made ,luckily the store refunded the amount.

One good thing about grey market is the prices changes every day according to currency rate.
But where as our official distributors/importers raise the price as soon as dollar or freight charges increases or if their is a hint of increase in manufacturing cost ,but not the reverse.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the price difference between grey and imported goods are reducing and it is becoming quiet useless to go for grey products if the same is available in India officially..........

The diff is huge and not narrowing that is why there are grey markets. The diff between Indian & grey mkt price for a Sony 32Ex400 is more than Rs12K, which on a base rate (grey mkt rate) is close to 41%. Means u have to pay 41% more to buy it in the legally in the domestic markets.

This is why the grey markets are thriving.

PRICE : advantage Grey
WARRANTY: advantage Indian
QUALITY:
my observation is that Imported SONY grey market LCD is better quality than Made in India (or assembled in India) Sony. Rather same goes with many white goods as well. Always check "MADE IN" ..since same brand, same model but different MADE IN will have different quality !!

PRICE : advantage Grey
WARRANTY: advantage Indian
QUALITY:
my observation is that Imported SONY grey market LCD is better quality than Made in India (or assembled in India) Sony. Rather same goes with many white goods as well. Always check "MADE IN" ..since same brand, same model but different MADE IN will have different quality !!

Well sony doesn't make tvs in india,AFAIK they only made walkman,headphones and other small audio stuff.
The products in grey market can be KDL ones which have a build in DVB-T tuner and have support for more formats via USB.
A few years ago one could MADE IN JAPAN sony lcds tvs but only their flagship X range which used to be 20k more expensive then MADE IN thailand X series,even the symbol had better build in made in japan ,so was the remote quality.
Today AFAIK sony no longer makes tv in japan,although i could be wrong.

The diff is huge and not narrowing that is why there are grey markets. The diff between Indian & grey mkt price for a Sony 32Ex400 is more than Rs12K, which on a base rate (grey mkt rate) is close to 41%. Means u have to pay 41% more to buy it in the legally in the domestic markets.

This is why the grey markets are thriving.

I think I mentioned this once but just to repeat...

A few months ago, while in India, I visited Sony World in my city and looking at their TV prices, I mentioned to them that they were at least 50% more than those outside and as an NRI, I could bring one from outside. You know what they replied? Well, they have good contacts in Customs circles and anyone bringing Sony legitimately while returning from abroad is assured of having to pay enough duties and fines to end up with their prices!!!

So who is twisting the law here? No wonder there is a thriving grey market.

Years ago, they had similar squeezes on gold and smuggling became so rampant that the government changed the law completely. Today who is smuggling gold when you can buy and bring paying reasonable duties well within the capabilities of the buyer? Another example is the state of Gujarat where I used to travel a lot in my previous jobs and famous for the ban on alcohol. Who are they kidding when you can buy right from Scotch to anything else there (not that I am a alcoholic)?

Laws and rules are fine as long as they are reasonable, easy to understand, transparent and applicable to everyone without distinction. When they are not, all sorts of other things evolve and has anyone thought who they benefit at the end? And outdated regulations like they have on consumer electronics have to change unless they believe that we are still in the pre-Narasimha Rao era or want to go back there.

The less said, the better.

cheers.
murali

I am looking for Samsung 40C630. Has anyone bought it in gray market in Hyderabad? Pls share the shop name and price.

I sugges that you shop around... just now got a quote for 55k (40"-EX400) in Hyd with B&W... the least price quoted on ebay is 52k (might be gray)... Once you get the least quote, you can then decide whether the 1year warranty is worth the difference between dealer price and burma-bazaar...

Can you let me know the shop name and phone number in Hyd?

Murali: I carried a Sony 32 for a friend from Singapore and I didnt have any problem with customs and as I was well within limit. So I am not sure if the Sony dealer claim is true just a way to telling the customer to stay off may be

Murali: I carried a Sony 32 for a friend from Singapore and I didnt have any problem with customs and as I was well within limit. So I am not sure if the Sony dealer claim is true just a way to telling the customer to stay off may be

I don't disagree. The main point I highlighted is the lack of consistent transparent rule that is applicable for everyone walking through Customs with a 32" TV like you did. Because of such open-ended rules, you may not be that lucky next time if you attempt the same.
Recently when I was at home on vacation, someone contacted me for the VTL preamp I have and when I tried to explain its high price I paid as well as duties etc, often the question comes to me as to why I have to pay duties. I don't know whether my physical appearance induces doubts as a "smuggler" or my luck is bad. Some time ago, when I was accompanying my family who were here on vacation back to home, my suitcase at Cochin airport carried a big X mark after X-ray (while unloading from the airplane) and the Customs officer asked me to open it. All it had from their "suspect" list was a small hair dryer my daughter had bought and they let us go finally.
Another example is the still-continuing quest to import Vandersteen speakers. As many learned members here advised, I approached the Customs in this trip who were totally non-committal about its duties and discourage me from buying threatening that the Customs officer appraising it will have the final say.
All this in the present civilised democratic India preaching goodness and truth to mankind but its own citizens left to manipulations and deals. Will we ever have transparency in our rules and laws with nothing left to manipulations? I don't know, frankly.
cheers.
murali

Hi Velu

Have you bought the LCD TV from Burma Bazar ? How is the Quality ? Is it reliable to buy from Burma Bazaar ? Yesterday We enquire in Burma Bazaar for Sony 32 LCD TV 32BX300. It cost around 21K. Do you have any refernce ? Please let me know your opinion.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back