Buying Philips 32 PFL5609

ajaybiz

Hi very new to this forum, use to visit as a guest, today thought of why not be a member and take advantage and suggestions from members over here.
Today i am going to buy Philips 32 PFL5609 for my room as my kid never allows me to watch TV even for a minute, just curious if anyone knows the service menu code for this model, just to make sure it's not used piece, gone through all the threads about how to make sure but still cant trust those cunning shopkeepers.
I have Panasonic PV-8 and verified with service menu and luckily it was new.

I just conformed,its as follows-

Press on Remote-
062596 info(button/pess this two times) quickly & you can see viewing hrs with some codes.

No change (in No) shld be made.Press on/off button on remote to exit
(shutdown TV)

Last edited:
Hi very new to this forum, use to visit as a guest, today thought of why not be a member and take advantage and suggestions from members over here.
Today i am going to buy Philips 32 PFL5609 for my room as my kid never allows me to watch TV even for a minute, just curious if anyone knows the service menu code for this model, just to make sure it's not used piece, gone through all the threads about how to make sure but still cant trust those cunning shopkeepers.
I have Panasonic PV-8 and verified with service menu and luckily it was new.

Nice to see you here Ajay. Good luck with your new TV mate:).

Thanks Santo but now things are became bit complicated....
Penny G10 is available for some 58 change and my viewing distance is around 9 feet so looks like for full HD or HD content i am at quite OK distance, now the question is either Philips 32" LCD or Penny 42" Plasma :licklips:

For 32" - I believe the Philips 5609 is a very good TV - however, if you can go for 42" I would definitely buy the G10. I was in the same boat - went scouting for a Philips 32" 5609 and got the Panny G10 instead :)

OK guys decided it should be 42" Full HD, but again i am thinking that is it good to have just one technology at home or should i try full HD Philips LCD as saw Philips 42PFL9703/98 and loved it from all aspects, got a quote of 75K let me know what could be the best deal in Bangalore.

Bought Philips 32 PFL5609 and yesterday the installer came from Philips saw the wall mouting unit and said its for 42" not for 32" so installed on one table, gave a short demo and went, after that i sat and calibrated as per my taste and played various sources and after comparing with my Plasma i felt like,
1)Still there's no match for Plasma specially they perform too good with SD content.
2)Viewing angle is no issue with plasmas and here with LCD you can make it out that picture is changing according to viewing angle.
3) LCD's are way bright and colors are not as natural as Plasmas, handling capacity of black levels are better in plasma .
4)Plasma handles motions better than LCD's.
5)Both played equally good the HD contents.
6)LCD was bit better with full HD as its full HD LCD and Plasma is just HD panel.I am sure a full HD plasma will sure out perform starting and mid range LCD's any day.
7)Ghost images and motion trail issue is there with SD content in LCD and feels like colors are mixing with each others even though this LCD is having 5ms of response time.
8 )Power consumption is on higher side for plasma but it varies and depend upon the panel settings so on this front LCD is winner by hardly 10-30% margin.

^ Fine observation and i will completely agree that Plasmas are always better, but in a heavy lit environment LCD's have a little EDGE.

True Plasmas requires zero direct light on screen as they are not so bright and their panel reflects a lot if hit by direct light.

6)LCD was bit better with full HD as its full HD LCD and Plasma is just HD panel.I am sure a full HD plasma will sure out perform starting and mid range LCD's any day.

COngrats Ajay. This LCD is an excellent model, and we recently purchased 4 for various friends.

Few things:
1. Full HD or HD panel makes a difference based on Content (Full HD or HD) and the viewing distance. For example, in a 32 Full HD watched at 4 feet and above distance Full HD or HD makes no difference irrespective of the content. Its a common misconception that Full HD panels are best, in fact HD ready panels are better for DTH or Cable content

2. Infact, a Full HD plasma might perform better than Full HD LCD only if the content is full HD. Again, models etc makes a huge difference

3. The Full HD one LCD is a clear winner when playing games in PS3 or XBox

Congrates,

Wall mount is free with 32in too as I got wall mount jack & got call for installation too.I refused as didnt want it.

Well you need to calibrate properly & then enjoy it.Out of the box its very bright so that you cant tolerate in Dark room.

I have following setting-

TV setup=
Brightness - 76
Contrast - 54
Sharpness - 3
Colour - 40
Noice reduction - off
colourtemp - cool
Dyn Back light - Best power
Dy contrast - Off
Light sensor - Off

Installation =
Pixelplus -off

This works best for me-

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6754-my-new-philips-pfl5609-lcdtv-4.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the input man so these settings for SD content or common for all content as mostly i'll be using this TV for SD during weekdays and weekends purely HD and full HD movies.

Thanks for the input man so these settings for SD content or common for all content as mostly i'll be using this TV for SD during weekdays and weekends purely HD and full HD movies.

This setting for SD/Dishtv composite.
For HTPC I m using mix setting.

Change in TV setting for HDMI/HTPC-

Bright - 49
Con - 50

Rest same + changes in VLC (its Bright/Con/Colour/Sharpness)

Mate this thing need to be done while TV is in AV mode or normal cable input channel mode as tried the thing in AV mode and it didn't displayed anything or went to any other mode.Help please.
I just conformed,its as follows-

Press on Remote-
062596 info(button/pess this two times) quickly & you can see viewing hrs with some codes.

No change (in No) shld be made.Press on/off button on remote to exit
(shutdown TV)

Mate this thing need to be done while TV is in AV mode or normal cable input channel mode as tried the thing in AV mode and it didn't displayed anything or went to any other mode.Help please.

It works if you put in any mode with option button pressed first followed by rest(062596 info).Somtimes you need to repeat the procedure.You can get this either 1st time or 3rd time.

Once done you shld see Black square with info & background like old crt with no RF signal(white ants)

Congrates,

Wall mount is free with 32in too as I got wall mount jack & got call for installation too.I refused as didnt want it.

Well you need to calibrate properly & then enjoy it.Out of the box its very bright so that you cant tolerate in Dark room.

I have following setting-

TV setup=
Brightness - 76
Contrast - 54
Sharpness - 3
Colour - 40
Noice reduction - off
colourtemp - cool
Dyn Back light - Best power
Dy contrast - Off
Light sensor - Off

Installation =
Pixelplus -off

This works best for me-

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6754-my-new-philips-pfl5609-lcdtv-4.html

this qn is for all those who have bought the philips pfl5609 32 " , the guy at the store (chennai) that the wall mounting kit and the installation will be taken care of by philips guys at location of installation (vellore). so does that mean he'll deliver only the tv sans the mounting kit ? is this acceptable?

<booked with full advance payment in cash, dealer said wall mounting kit is free>

wall mounting kit and the installation will be taken care of by philips guys at location of installation (vellore). so does that mean he'll deliver only the tv sans the mounting kit ? is this acceptable?

<booked with full advance payment in cash, dealer said wall mounting kit is free>

Yes,I got my TV stand & wall mounts with TV.I got call from Philips in 2 days for wall installation(I thought it was for Demo) which I refused as I did not want tht.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back