cable facts

does coat hanger need more breakin than normal cables to account for the rigid turns and twists?
Edit - if I have a normal wire, and a wire with a soldered joint, will the wire with soldered joint impact the sound quality? This is important as I am trying to mod my receiver to get the output of processor and feed it to an external pre-amp. While the processor output will also go the normal way it is going right now. Basically get a T joint there. Pls help!

regards

hi Keith,

true enough, and according to Peter Aczel (editor of "THE AUDIO CRITIC"), even a coat hanger straightened out would do. Calls high end cables one of the ten big lies in the audio marketing world.
regards

Last edited:
hi Keith,

true enough, and according to Peter Aczel (editor of "THE AUDIO CRITIC"), even a coat hanger straightened out would do. Calls high end cables one of the ten big lies in the audio marketing world.
regards

its purely up to you whether you choose to follow Peter Aczel (whoever he and Audio Critic is ! ), your ears or anyone else..

internet has an abundance of info mostly contradictory...its your senses and your wallet which can choose the best for you

anm

insteadof listening to articles advisng cables why dont you try it yourself and hear the difference
if possible tell someone else to interchange the wire and see ( blind test)
so that youre not biased

Can someone help on this one? I have called up the onkyo service center and they say they will do this, but will charge some money. However, I want to have opinions here about joint quality etc before getting the receiver screwed (soldered actually)

Edit - if I have a normal wire, and a wire with a soldered joint, will the wire with soldered joint impact the sound quality? This is important as I am trying to mod my receiver to get the output of processor (before it goes to the pre section) and feed it to an external pre-amp. While the processor output will also go the normal way it is going right now. Basically get a T joint there. Pls help!

regards

Can someone help on this one? I have called up the onkyo service center and they say they will do this, but will charge some money. However, I want to have opinions here about joint quality etc before getting the receiver screwed (soldered actually)

If you know how to mod an AVR, then why would you want help for such a basic thing? Come on techie don't take us for a ride.;)

anm
what reciever is this and what pre power are you gonna send the other signal to/

if all equipment is entry levelandthe T joint is good,i would say " go for it" i wouldnt expect any percievable degradation in sound
( now if your mind is gonna LOOK for it then thats a different issue)

While the processor output will also go the normal way it is going right now. Basically get a T joint there. Pls help!

regards
would the signal get divided here ?
if so you are going to feel a drop in volume levels and hence lower gain in your system. hence more than double the power required to get the same volume.

If not you should be ok

BUt if you are not a techie with experience in this..dont do it..you can actually get a simple passive pre amp with 2 or 3 inputs DIY'd

hi Keith,

regards

That's a new one for me - "coat hanger". Can you send me the link to that article, please? I think that the expansiveness of sound from a coat hanger would surely be restricted to the expanse of the closet the hanger was burned in. :lol:

Of course a "soldered joint" would impact sound. Do you mean you didn't know this already? You gotta be kidding me!
Would it not depend upon the quality of the soldering wire used?
And the temperature at which you solder?
And of course don't forget the impact a power conditioner would make to your soldering iron.
And of course the quality of the metal of your soldering iron tip would have an affect on the flow of electrons.
:lol:

Hi correa,

do u mean to say even changing 22 guage wire to 16 guage wont make any diffrence? I am about to do that to my Onkyo.
sri

All I can say is - try it. No, no, don't try it yourself. Ask someone else to swap 22 gauge wire and 16 gauge wire and don't you peep while he is swapping it. See if the sound expands as in the hilarious "expanse of sound" between them both.

Hi Keith,

your points are noted.

However, we are all on this forum to learn from the superior knowledge of others.
after all, if we can see far, it is not because we are tall, it is because we are seated on the giant shoulders of others.

So, when a member of the forum asks for help, it would be better if you could offer some constructive suggestion, and not ridicule the person or his question:)

Again, all of us are in this forum to learn.
regards

Hi Keith,

your points are noted.

However, we are all on this forum to learn from the superior knowledge of others.
after all, if we can see far, it is not because we are tall, it is because we are seated on the giant shoulders of others.

So, when a member of the forum asks for help, it would be better if you could offer some constructive suggestion, and not ridicule the person or his question:)

regards

Suri, What are you talking about? Are you referring to my reply about the "solder" stuff? I was just being sarcastic w.r.t. MY points because the exact points that I mentioned - are posted on the web as having an affect on sound. Seek and you shall find.

So, to you who took offense or someone else who might take offense - sorry bout that - was never my intention to be offensive.

That's a new one for me - "coat hanger". Can you send me the link to that article, please? I think that the expansiveness of sound from a coat hanger would surely be restricted to the expanse of the closet the hanger was burned in. :lol:

Hi Keith,

just search for "TEN BIG LIES IN AUDIO" and you should find the link to the article - the first one is about cables
regards

Hi,

I deliberately stay away from such threads as most of the times its clash of ego's and such which talks not the morals :p!

Anyways I have my reasons for posting ! I have been keeping quite for long time on this (didn't bother to enter the power cord thread and other for the same reason) but couldn't stop myself from posting :p !

So, when a member of the forum asks for help, it would be better if you could offer some constructive suggestion, and not ridicule the person or his question

Suri Couldn't have said it better :clapping:!! Especially the shoulder part :lol: ! Very true what you say !

I for the longest period in time have played with cables and know what constitutes what in cable (if not 100% atleast 25%) ! so when I decide to make a cable for myself I exactly know what to Aim and how to achieve ;)!

Now with the above said experience,I was able to convince myself and others who were part of the event that cables have and will continue have their Importance in the system !

its purely up to you whether you choose to follow Peter Aczel (whoever he and Audio Critic is ! ), your ears or anyone else..

I would agree with Arj here ! If someone ridicules importance of cables in this way,then perhaps he ought to be doing the same for every damn electronics thats out there ! If I start to expand the list of these electronics then all hell will break loose so skipping it :p!

But one simple example,if two amps are of the same type and are indetical in design (there's only so much of a difference that one can come up with ),Lets say both are Class A with almost same features,one is made by X and the other by Y they both should sound same,isn't it ???

But do they sound the same ? what constitutes the change in sound ? both are same type uses same technology etc.....

If they can say all Amps,Speakers in the world are Snake Oil and every speaker and every Pre,Amp,CDP etc etc sound the same !! then perhaps I can agree that a Coat hanger or better yet a Speedometer inner cable from grandfathers Java will sound the same as a Shunyata Research's Aero's or Goertz Alphacore to the local MAX cable that Srikarkav has mentioned :eek:hyeah: !!

Finally here's the real deal, I here by summon all the folks who are non believers of the importance of cables to come and experience the fact ! If Am not able to convince them that cable will make a difference then I shall throw all my cables and start using what they say,Heck I'd even use a 2Rs/mtr footpath cable from then on !

But if they are convinced that cables do make difference,what are they willing to do ????

Its on who's up for it ???

Regards.

sorry i had written a long drawn post but i a minute later sense prevalied and i thought that my comments were better reserved

Last edited:
Hi,

I deliberately stay away from such threads as most of the times its clash of ego's and such which talks not the morals :p!

Anyways I have my reasons for posting ! I have been keeping quite for long time on this (didn't bother to enter the power cord thread and other for the same reason) but couldn't stop myself from posting :p !

Suri Couldn't have said it better :clapping:!! Especially the shoulder part :lol: ! Very true what you say !

I for the longest period in time have played with cables and know what constitutes what in cable (if not 100% atleast 25%) ! so when I decide to make a cable for myself I exactly know what to Aim and how to achieve ;)!

Now with the above said experience,I was able to convince myself and others who were part of the event that cables have and will continue have their Importance in the system !

I would agree with Arj here ! If someone ridicules importance of cables in this way,then perhaps he ought to be doing the same for every damn electronics thats out there ! If I start to expand the list of these electronics then all hell will break loose so skipping it :p!

But one simple example,if two amps are of the same type and are indetical in design (there's only so much of a difference that one can come up with ),Lets say both are Class A with almost same features,one is made by X and the other by Y they both should sound same,isn't it ???

But do they sound the same ? what constitutes the change in sound ? both are same type uses same technology etc.....

If they can say all Amps,Speakers in the world are Snake Oil and every speaker and every Pre,Amp,CDP etc etc sound the same !! then perhaps I can agree that a Coat hanger or better yet a Speedometer inner cable from grandfathers Java will sound the same as a Shunyata Research's Aero's or Goertz Alphacore to the local MAX cable that Srikarkav has mentioned :eek:hyeah: !!

Finally here's the real deal, I here by summon all the folks who are non believers of the importance of cables to come and experience the fact ! If Am not able to convince them that cable will make a difference then I shall throw all my cables and start using what they say,Heck I'd even use a 2Rs/mtr footpath cable from then on !

But if they are convinced that cables do make difference,what are they willing to do ????

Its on who's up for it ???

Regards.

WOW! At last - someone who is not just talk but is willing to back it up with a demonstration to prove a point as well. :clapping: Soundsgreat, I wish I was located in Bangalore to take you up on the offer. I would love to hear differences.
Enough said - I don't want to say too much since it might not be taken well and some giant shoulders might shrug me off and where would I be then?

WOW! At last - someone who is not just talk but is willing to back it up with a demonstration to prove a point as well. :clapping: Soundsgreat, I wish I was located in Bangalore to take you up on the offer. I would love to hear differences.
Enough said - I don't want to say too much since it might not be taken well and some giant shoulders might shrug me off and where would I be then?

Hey Keith,
Cut me some slack!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back